New Kickoff Rule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

New Kickoff Rule

Post by Cliff »

I think I like it.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: New Kickoff Rule

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I want to see exciting Kick returns. If the new rule leads to exciting Kick returns I'm all for it. Bring back Kene Nwangwu.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

They’ve had something like this in the XFL or USFL, not sure which. I’ve seen video. It’s a little weird, so it’ll take some getting used to.

I can tell you this. Special teams coaching is going to be more important than ever, and this likely will change how some teams build their roster.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:28 pm I want to see exciting Kick returns. If the new rule leads to exciting Kick returns I'm all for it. Bring back Kene Nwangwu.
The Steelers apparently signed Cordarrelle Patterson just hours after the new kickoff was approved.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:28 pm I want to see exciting Kick returns. If the new rule leads to exciting Kick returns I'm all for it. Bring back Kene Nwangwu.
The Steelers apparently signed Cordarrelle Patterson just hours after the new kickoff was approved.
Yes they did. He's 33 now and if he's still a stud Kick Returner that is very impressive.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Under the last set of kickoff rules it was really rare to see kickoffs returned, as most kickoffs went into or through the endzone. On those rare instances they were returned, either because the kick was short or the returner was aggressive and brought it out of the endzone, it was pretty rare to see a big return. Most of the big returns seem to come off punts and on punting downs the blocking setup looks more like the new kickoff rules where the tacklers and blockers start off much closer to each other when the ball goes into play.

I like anything that makes the game more exciting. Kickoffs had become predictable and boring except for the rare occasions where a team was behind in the 4th and needed a big return late.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I like it. For many of the reasons above. Simply, I want to see returns in the game. It's supposed to mean something.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I loved this solution since I first saw it in the XFL. Special teams will be fun to watch again.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.