2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I think this would be a fun exercise. Say who you think we will get in the first round and who you realistically hope we will get.
I think we get McCarthy.
I hope we get McCarthy and Murphy very optimistic I know, but it could happen.
More realistically Nix and Jackson Powers-Johnson. QB/C pair.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:31 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 am
JJM did play hockey so you know he's tough. Plus he has speed. I'm not saying he will be great or bad because I don't know. They do like somebody and the Chargers want picks. It almost looks like a trade up to 5 and pick their guy. You can't blame them for that.
I don't blame them for moving up for their guy, but let's say for the sake of argument that they could pick any QB in this year's draft. Is JJ McCarthy that guy? Or is he the best of what's left since they don't have that option?

Is the best of what's left worth trading two first rounders to move up to get?

KAM is going to define his time as GM if he does move up, regardless of who he takes. I hope for everyone's sake KOC and he know what they're doing.
The best in their minds might not be the best in others. All these projections are being done by the media. Who knows how any team has these guys ranked. I guarantee it don't fall in line. They could trade up for Maye. Nix could be the guy they want and there's been talk Denver wants him and they can move in front of us. We got ammo now in case that happens. Caleb is the number 1 guy but who knows if he's No 1 with our team. He's 6' 1" and I have no idea how he has looked on tape to a professionals eye. Is he not seeing guys and just looking for the home run? They hear talk that nobody hears. I get the feeling they have had their eye on a guy for a few years. They could have signed Cousins easily. They said the right things to the press but I think they said goodbye much earlier than the start of FA. They didn't give the last contract offered which was goodbye. Maybe they wanted their guy and he's now in this class. I think they will do whatever it takes to get the guy they want including adding JJ to the deal. A franchise QB has way more value than a top WR. It's not close. WR can be found any year. QBs can't.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 pm

I don't blame them for moving up for their guy, but let's say for the sake of argument that they could pick any QB in this year's draft. Is JJ McCarthy that guy? Or is he the best of what's left since they don't have that option?

KAM is going to define his time as GM if he does move up, regardless of who he takes. I hope for everyone's sake KOC and he know what they're doing.
I think they will do whatever it takes to get the guy they want including adding JJ to the deal. A franchise QB has way more value than a top WR. It's not close. WR can be found any year. QBs can't.
If they were going to do that they would have traded jj to the bengals for two first and Higgins and used the 4 1st to trade up with also keeping a number 1 wr in Higgins. Jj is more than a great player here he’s our main ticket seller, jersey seller. The new younger generation of Vikings fan have his jersey and come looking forward to seeing him. Too much of a gamble to risk potentially the greatest WR ever and a crowd favourite for an unknown. KAM is a numbers guy, I’m sure he knows the % chance he has to pull out a good qb in a draft.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:25 am
I think they will do whatever it takes to get the guy they want including adding JJ to the deal. A franchise QB has way more value than a top WR. It's not close. WR can be found any year. QBs can't.
If they were going to do that they would have traded jj to the bengals for two first and Higgins and used the 4 1st to trade up with also keeping a number 1 wr in Higgins. Jj is more than a great player here he’s our main ticket seller, jersey seller. The new younger generation of Vikings fan have his jersey and come looking forward to seeing him. Too much of a gamble to risk potentially the greatest WR ever and a crowd favourite for an unknown. KAM is a numbers guy, I’m sure he knows the % chance he has to pull out a good qb in a draft.
I agree with everything you posted but don't you think a franchise QB, no matter who it is, takes the spot? I won't knock JJ because he has proven from day 1 what he is. If he winds up being the best ever before he's done is a stretch. It's hard to jump Rice with his SB victories. When Moss was here every young Viking fan had his jersey. He was the most exciting WR we have ever had and that started right off the bat. He could take a game over and the QB didn't matter. He made bums look like HOFers. He was dealt away. KAM knows the % and let Cousins walk. We all saw our offense with those backups. We had games we couldn't score. What WR wants that? Mullens missed JJ by a mile the last play of the Lions game. Didn't even give him a chance. We can't stick with these bums or JJ will never sign an extension regardless how the fans feel. If he needs to be dealt so be it.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:53 am

I agree with everything you posted but don't you think a franchise QB, no matter who it is, takes the spot? I won't knock JJ because he has proven from day 1 what he is. If he winds up being the best ever before he's done is a stretch. It's hard to jump Rice with his SB victories. When Moss was here every young Viking fan had his jersey. He was the most exciting WR we have ever had and that started right off the bat. He could take a game over and the QB didn't matter. He made bums look like HOFers. He was dealt away. KAM knows the % and let Cousins walk. We all saw our offense with those backups. We had games we couldn't score. What WR wants that? Mullens missed JJ by a mile the last play of the Lions game. Didn't even give him a chance. We can't stick with these bums or JJ will never sign an extension regardless how the fans feel. If he needs to be dealt so be it.
That’s true a franchise qb tops all, however I believe trading known commodity’s for potential isn’t something a numbers guy is going to do. Sure he might waste other draft picks which have the potential for return but something with a known value like jj has is different imo. To be fair JJ has been every bit as electrifying as Moss, he out pacing him in everything but tds. Jj his first 4 years has re-written most of the record book for a four year span. He’s proven he has the ability to be the best ever, the question then is, does he stay healthy? Does he have hofer QBs throwing to him? Superbowls is a moot point imo, that’s team stat not an individual. Jj also has the ability to make bad QBs better, as you mentioned Mullen isn’t much of a qb yet he had a 400 yard game this year, because of a wr like jj. I think jj would be a huge help to our new qb, it’s basically 100 plus catches 1500 yards and 8 tds, which will do wonders for building a qb, confidence etc. Now jj and some picks for Herbert? I could see that.
Last edited by allday1991 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:17 am
That’s true a franchise qb tops all, however I believe trading known commodity’s for potential isn’t something a numbers guy is going to do. Sure he might waste other draft picks which have the potential for return but something with a known value like jj has is different imo. To be fair JJ has been every bit as electrifying as Moss, he out pacing him in everything but tds. Jj his first 4 years has re-written most of the record book for a four year span. He’s proven he has the ability to be the best ever, the question then is, does he stay healthy? Does he have hofer QBs throwing to him? Superbowls is a moot point imo, that’s team stat not and individual. Jj also has the ability to make bad QBs better, as you mentioned Mullen isn’t much of a qb yet he had a 400 yard game this year, because of a wr like jj. I think jj would be a huge help to our new qb, it’s basically 100 plus catches 1500 yards and 8 tds, which will do wonders for building a qb, confidence etc. Now jj and some picks for Herbert? I could see that.
If JJ is actually making demands of the team as far as who they put on the roster I think you go ahead and trade him while his value is as high as it will ever be. At that point he obviously doesn't have faith in the way they're building the team and that's not the mentality you want in a player.

Otherwise I think you try to keep him because he could be so valuable to any QB. At the same time, $258,000 per catch (33mil per year is projected contract and in his best season he had 128 catches) is a lot of cap space for the production the team gets. Not from JJ, but from the WR position in general.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

allday1991 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:55 pm
Definitely wouldn’t say that’s a lot. Most of his misses came on timing routes and a lot of balls were still catchable. He definitely doesn’t have a weak arm, wish he could have ran the 40, I think that’s were he would have surprised people. College reports he run a high 4.4 low 4.5, again that’s not your average athleticism for a qb. Don’t understand all the jj hate tbh.
I saw McCarthy play several times this year, I'd be happy if the Vikings are able to draft him. To me I saw a strong arm and an accurate arm. The biggest complaint against him seems to be he was a game manager, but he just did what he was asked to do, nothing says he can't throw more when asked to. He was a little off in that workout video, but his season numbers get far more weight.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This draft is shaping up to be an exciting one. It's cool to see so many QB prospects that have a 1st round rating. We all know that most will never amount to much but it really seems stacked. Even that kid Nix has potential to be a good starter. What would really throw a monkey wrench into this if the Bears are open to deal pick 1. Poles might not have Caleb as his top guy. He could build incredible draft capital and still be in position to get a guy at 9 or an earlier pick from the trade down. This late shooter JJ also makes the skies cloudy. He wasn't even a mid 1st rounder now he's top 10 or better? I agree with people saying he just did what was asked. Didn't really need to elevate the talent. Maybe some teams feel that's what we want. Face it doing what was asked at a high level is certainly valuable. It wan't a one off either. He did it back to back. It's not like he is lacking physical skills. He's got all of them including great ball velocity. This will be a make or break for us and other teams.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 am

That’s true a franchise qb tops all, however I believe trading known commodity’s for potential isn’t something a numbers guy is going to do. Sure he might waste other draft picks which have the potential for return but something with a known value like jj has is different imo. To be fair JJ has been every bit as electrifying as Moss, he out pacing him in everything but tds. Jj his first 4 years has re-written most of the record book for a four year span. He’s proven he has the ability to be the best ever, the question then is, does he stay healthy? Does he have hofer QBs throwing to him? Superbowls is a moot point imo, that’s team stat not and individual. Jj also has the ability to make bad QBs better, as you mentioned Mullen isn’t much of a qb yet he had a 400 yard game this year, because of a wr like jj. I think jj would be a huge help to our new qb, it’s basically 100 plus catches 1500 yards and 8 tds, which will do wonders for building a qb, confidence etc. Now jj and some picks for Herbert? I could see that.
If JJ is actually making demands of the team as far as who they put on the roster I think you go ahead and trade him while his value is as high as it will ever be. At that point he obviously doesn't have faith in the way they're building the team and that's not the mentality you want in a player.

Otherwise I think you try to keep him because he could be so valuable to any QB. At the same time, $258,000 per catch (33mil per year is projected contract and in his best season he had 128 catches) is a lot of cap space for the production the team gets. Not from JJ, but from the WR position in general.
For once in a long time we are all in agreement on a player. JJ is great. But there could come a point that perhaps that great player is needed as part of a package to fill the most important position on an NFL team. With the QB position opportunities don't come around very often. JJ would certainly make life easier for a young QB I won't deny that. But if KAM feels there is a QB that can be a long term solid answer like a Burrow you have to make that deal. We still have Addison and he looked very good as well. So it's not like we are empty without JJ.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

The best in their minds might not be the best in others. All these projections are being done by the media. Who knows how any team has these guys ranked. I guarantee it don't fall in line. They could trade up for Maye. Nix could be the guy they want and there's been talk Denver wants him and they can move in front of us. We got ammo now in case that happens. Caleb is the number 1 guy but who knows if he's No 1 with our team. He's 6' 1" and I have no idea how he has looked on tape to a professionals eye. Is he not seeing guys and just looking for the home run? They hear talk that nobody hears. I get the feeling they have had their eye on a guy for a few years. They could have signed Cousins easily. They said the right things to the press but I think they said goodbye much earlier than the start of FA. They didn't give the last contract offered which was goodbye. Maybe they wanted their guy and he's now in this class. I think they will do whatever it takes to get the guy they want including adding JJ to the deal. A franchise QB has way more value than a top WR. It's not close. WR can be found any year. QBs can't.
Do NOT do whatever it takes. My best guess is we can get the best QB in this years class at 11 IF we pick the right one.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post of the day/week and maybe month. :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

That’s true a franchise qb tops all, however I believe trading known commodity’s for potential isn’t something a numbers guy is going to do. Sure he might waste other draft picks which have the potential for return but something with a known value like jj has is different imo. To be fair JJ has been every bit as electrifying as Moss, he out pacing him in everything but tds. Jj his first 4 years has re-written most of the record book for a four year span. He’s proven he has the ability to be the best ever, the question then is, does he stay healthy? Does he have hofer QBs throwing to him? Superbowls is a moot point imo, that’s team stat not an individual. Jj also has the ability to make bad QBs better, as you mentioned Mullen isn’t much of a qb yet he had a 400 yard game this year, because of a wr like jj. I think jj would be a huge help to our new qb, it’s basically 100 plus catches 1500 yards and 8 tds, which will do wonders for building a qb, confidence etc. Now jj and some picks for Herbert? I could see that.
JJ has bigger receiving numbers than Moss or Rice did because he's playing 40 years after Rice and 25 years after Moss with many rules changes making the passing game far easier. As a person who has been following the NFL since 1970 I have seen the entirety of Rice and Moss's careers. JJ is amazing. He is not on the level of either of those receivers.

Trading for Herbert is as close to impossible as it gets. His contract structure makes over $100 Million immediately hit the Chargers salary cap if he is traded or released.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 am

I'm 100% with you Cliff. :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

cogitator wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:01 am
allday1991 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:55 pm
Definitely wouldn’t say that’s a lot. Most of his misses came on timing routes and a lot of balls were still catchable. He definitely doesn’t have a weak arm, wish he could have ran the 40, I think that’s were he would have surprised people. College reports he run a high 4.4 low 4.5, again that’s not your average athleticism for a qb. Don’t understand all the jj hate tbh.
I saw McCarthy play several times this year, I'd be happy if the Vikings are able to draft him. To me I saw a strong arm and an accurate arm. The biggest complaint against him seems to be he was a game manager, but he just did what he was asked to do, nothing says he can't throw more when asked to. He was a little off in that workout video, but his season numbers get far more weight.
Bo Nix is even more accurate with almost as strong an arm. Bo Nix did throw for great volume. 77% completions, 4500 yards, 45 TDs and only 3 Ints. In around double the passes and around double the yardage of McCarthy Nix threw less interceptions. People criticize Bo because a very high percentage of his passes were short. That's what the coach wanted him to do. When he did throw long he was just as accurate. Both Nix and McCarthy are athletic and very good going off script. McCarthy is younger and has potential to be better than Nix at the same age. My preference of the 2 is McCarthy. Good chance if we stick and pick McCarthy will be there at 11. Mel Kiper thinks so. Stick and pick Vikings. If McCarthy isn't available Nix will be. Win/Win.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

It'd be sweet if the Vikes could hold steady at 11 & 23. Get a good QB prospect to groom for a year & also fill another position (interior O-line, CB, DL) with promising talent. The Vikings aren't true contenders in 2024. They haven't been real contenders for quite some time now. They need an influx of talent. Especially, on the defensive side of the ball.

I hope they don't get desperate & give up too much to trade up for a QB. Run with Darnold & Mullins this year if they have to. KOC's offense seems to be pretty user friendly with most QBs. Christ!! Nick Frickin' Mullins averaged about 326 yards passing per game for his 16 quarters of playing time from weeks 14-18. 65% completion percentage. 7 TD passes. But, those horrible interceptions. My point is even Mullins did some positive things in KOC's offense.

I'd be cool with McCarthy, Maye, Nix or Penix as our future QB if they got to sit & learn for a year. But, not if the cost is too high to move up. If KOC doesn't grade one of those guys as a substantially better QB prospect than the others they should stay put & take one where they currently sit.

Of course, I could be & probably am wrong.