2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by Angels Wings »

BeforeIDie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:46 pm Mcarthy is a GAME MANAGER. Imagine if Penix was QB for Michigan, you don’t think Harbaugh would have passed the ball a little more?! If Odunze falls to 11, got him. Then Penix with 23 (NOT a second rate QB). Offense would be crazy for years. Jefferson, Odunze, Addison and Hock… greatest assembly of pass catchers maybe of all time. This feels like a special draft. Then do whatever we have to, to get back in the second round and pick up Sweat and Fiske.

BUT… if Kwesi trades 3 1sts to get JJ Mcarthy, which I feel is inevitable, I’m gonna lose my shlt.
First off :welcome

Secondly, I agree on Hardy and would be disappointed if they traded up to get him especially seeing that he would be there at 11(or even 23. Shoot,I'd take Bo Nix). You don't trade up for that. You trade up for who you think would be your franchise QB. To me, outside of Williams, that guy is Daniels whom I like better than Caleb.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am Interesting. I'm not a huge fan of giving up two 2nds but I'm curious what the plan is. I really hope they're not doing this to move up for a QB that would have been a reach at 11 like McCarthy.
I really believe we are going to trade up for somebody we could have just taken at 11. That's how little faith I have in Kwesi.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

BeforeIDie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:46 pm Mcarthy is a GAME MANAGER. Imagine if Penix was QB for Michigan, you don’t think Harbaugh would have passed the ball a little more?! If Odunze falls to 11, got him. Then Penix with 23 (NOT a second rate QB). Offense would be crazy for years. Jefferson, Odunze, Addison and Hock… greatest assembly of pass catchers maybe of all time. This feels like a special draft. Then do whatever we have to, to get back in the second round and pick up Sweat and Fiske.

BUT… if Kwesi trades 3 1sts to get JJ Mcarthy, which I feel is inevitable, I’m gonna lose my shlt.
I see it happening and I also will lose my ####.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

BeforeIDie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 pm Thanks Maelstrom. I don’t know how to do the reply with your post in the box. Don’t know how even THIS reply will look.
You're doing just fine. To reply with someone's post just hit the quotation mark symbol on the top right of whoever's post you want to show.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

THE KEEP TRADING BACK DRAFT.

My Draft Picks

Bo Nix
QB Oregon

T'Vondre Sweat
DT Texas

Kris Jenkins
DT Michigan

Maason Smith
DT LSU

Brandon Coleman
OG TCU

Khyree Jackson
CB Oregon

Tanor Bortolini
OC Wisconsin

Kitan Oladapo
S Oregon State

Gabe Hall
DT Baylor

Elijah Jones
CB Boston College

Tommy Eichenberg
LB Ohio State

Jarrian Jones
CB Florida State

Erick All
TE Iowa

Sataoa Laumea
OG Utah

Tanner McLachlan
TE Arizona

Jordan Jefferson
DT LSU

Willie Drew
CB Virginia State

Ryan Watts
S Texas

Jordan Magee
LB Temple

2025 SEA 1st
2025 BUF 2nd
2025 CIN 2nd
2025 IND 3rd
2025 LAC 3rd
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:17 am THE KEEP TRADING BACK DRAFT.

My Draft Picks

Bo Nix
QB Oregon

T'Vondre Sweat
DT Texas

Kris Jenkins
DT Michigan

Maason Smith
DT LSU

Brandon Coleman
OG TCU

Khyree Jackson
CB Oregon

Tanor Bortolini
OC Wisconsin

Kitan Oladapo
S Oregon State

Gabe Hall
DT Baylor

Elijah Jones
CB Boston College

Tommy Eichenberg
LB Ohio State

Jarrian Jones
CB Florida State

Erick All
TE Iowa

Sataoa Laumea
OG Utah

Tanner McLachlan
TE Arizona

Jordan Jefferson
DT LSU

Willie Drew
CB Virginia State

Ryan Watts
S Texas

Jordan Magee
LB Temple

2025 SEA 1st
2025 BUF 2nd
2025 CIN 2nd
2025 IND 3rd
2025 LAC 3rd
I don't like it. We start with 11 and 23 and end with our first pick being 28? Nix could be good, but I prefer McCarthy or Penix.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:43 am
I’m not a scout but I’ve watched a bit of tape on the top 4 QBs. Williams would be amazing but even if Chicago doesn’t take him they ain’t trading in division. If we trade into the 2nd like I hear some rumours I prefer Daniels, however apparently Vikings are big on Maye. I’d prefer JJ over Maye as well .I quite liked his film and think at 21 years old with his athleticism he could be very good in the right scheme.

What’s all this talk with Maye all of a sudden? I personally like him the least of the top 4.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Well the top 3 is set, so it's all a matter of what Arizona wants to do.

Fields traded, Williams is #1

Commies going QB, they signed Mariotta as a backup and dealt Howell

Pats going QB, they signed Jacoby and dealt Jones.

Giants want JJ. Would Arizona take an extra 2 and 3 to lose MJH or would they want 2-3 1's the Vikings can offer?

Three firsts for JJ would be an immediate fireable offense IMO. Mocks I am seeing now have the Vikings taking Pennix at 11 and Broncos going Nix at 12
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

I do not understand the hype around JJM. He does NOT pass the eye test, nor do his stats. Serviceable, yes… even effective you could say. But anything spectacular about him to warrant his skyrocket up the draft boards?

Penix, on the other hand, throws the sharpest passes Ive seen in years. Hits his receivers in stride, good pocket navigation. The only thing I can think of for the hype around JJM is the national championship. But Michigan won WITH him, Washington was there BECAUSE OF Penix. To be clear, I’m high on Maye and Daniels too.

Id trade every pick this year and next if it meant this year we came out with Odunze, Penix, Sweat and Fiske.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:40 pm
I do not understand the hype around JJM. He does NOT pass the eye test, nor do his stats. Serviceable, yes… even effective you could say. But anything spectacular about him to warrant his skyrocket up the draft boards?

Penix, on the other hand, throws the sharpest passes Ive seen in years. Hits his receivers in stride, good pocket navigation. The only thing I can think of for the hype around JJM is the national championship. But Michigan won WITH him, Washington was there BECAUSE OF Penix. To be clear, I’m high on Maye and Daniels too.

Id trade every pick this year and next if it meant this year we came out with Odunze, Penix, Sweat and Fiske.
Totally agree on Penix. If he didn't have the injury history I think he'd be right there with the top 3 in this year's draft and maybe even right behind Williams.

I also agree with you for the most part on McCarthy. I don't think he's a 1st round talent based on what he's shown so far on the field and I don't think he'll be ready to start on Day One for whatever team drafts him. But McCarthy does have charisma and leadership skills. He's not just a cocky young guy from what I've seen of him. His teammates genuinely like and admire him, and that does count for something assuming it carries to the pros. I also think McCarthy has potential to grow as a player because he's so young.

I'd be OK with McCarthy if the Vikings got him where they were sitting in the 2nd round. I'd really question it if KAM took him with the 23rd pick they just got from Houston. I'd be genuinely angry if they took him with #11, and really upset if they traded up from #11 to get him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:40 pm

How can anyone see the hype around Caleb. He fell apart in games. Daniels sucked every year but his last. He's pencil thin and running against the bigger faster guys in the NFL is much harder than a bunch of nothings. Look at the ages of the players also. JJM is younger. JJM more than likely will never amount to much just like the rest of them. But if a team in the top 10 likes him is it worth the risk and let him slid by? This year seems to be loaded with great ones. After 3 years it will look much different when only 1 is a good starter and the rest are thrown away or traded for nothing. Penix had a game with a CMP% of 46.4 his team still won so they helped him also. He was below 60% in others also. That's a problem.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Yet another QB ranking, from Joel Klatt. If anyone doesn't know, he is Fox Sports lead college football analyst, plus played QB for CU in college.

Here are his rankings if someone doesn't want to watch the video. He is much higher on Drake Maye than Chris Simms is. He does think Bo Nix goes in the first round too but doesn't list him.

1. Caleb Williams.
2. Drake Maye.
3. Jayden Daniels.
4. Michael Penix
5. JJ McCarthy.

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethe ... am-darnold

I think we have an agreement in place to move up to number 3 if Maye is on the board. I really like Maye however he will need time to learn how to read defenses and clean up his mechanics. He would be well suited to sit a year to tighten things up before being expected to start.

Another issue is if it takes this year's two 1st rounders and next year's 1st rounder that would leave us with no second round pick this year and no picks in the top two rounds next year. I think we are likely to have a very high first round pick next year so that will be a tough pill to swallow. That will put pressure on the organization to play Maye early and he had better look great. That's a big ask.

Everyone says we are set to have a ton of cap next year but that's before paying JJ and Darrisaw. Watch how quicky that spare change goes away. With that said I could stomach a trade up for Maye. A trade up for McCarthy would be a huge mistake though.
mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:59 pm https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethe ... am-darnold

I think we have an agreement in place to move up to number 3 if Maye is on the board. I really like Maye however he will need time to learn how to read defenses and clean up his mechanics. He would be well suited to sit a year to tighten things up before being expected to start.

Another issue is if it takes this year's two 1st rounders and next year's 1st rounder that would leave us with no second round pick this year and no picks in the top two rounds next year. I think we are likely to have a very high first round pick next year so that will be a tough pill to swallow. That will put pressure on the organization to play Maye early and he had better look great. That's a big ask.

Everyone says we are set to have a ton of cap next year but that's before paying JJ and Darrisaw. Watch how quicky that spare change goes away. With that said I could stomach a trade up for Maye. A trade up for McCarthy would be a huge mistake though.
I agree that a trade up for McCarthy would be a huge mistake. A trade up for Maye would be an even huger mistake.