Should we trade for a Quarterback

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cmoss84
Veteran

Re: Should we trade for a Quarterback

Post by cmoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:09 pm
cmoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:14 pm I'll leave it up to your judgements to decide which options are bad and which are worth looking into. Just wanted to see who MIGHT be available. Here we go:

Tyler Huntley: 25 years old. On the cheap in the last year of his contract-could also be an audition.

Andy Dalton: If we could "pry" Dalton from Carolina, the 36 year old could provide stability. Short, cheap contract.

Cooper Rush: The 30 year old had a few shining moments on the Cowgirls. Cheap contract-possible audition for backup.

Trey Lance: Do we look into the Marshall, MN native's potential? Rookie contract. Worth it? What would it cost?

Russell Wilson: Would Denver trade him? Not sure how the opt-out works and who has control. Age 35-37 seasons.

Davis Mills: 25 year old put up decent numbers with Houston. Cheap contract.

Case Keenum: (HAAHAHHA!) Cheap contract. Full of magic. Could also be decent backup.

Blaine Gabbert: Woof.

Brian Hoyer: Woof.

Mike White: Younger but still...woof.

Jameis Winston: Still only 29. Tons of picks. But can score some points. Cheap contract...audition?

Marcus Mariota: The 30 year old is an interesting option. Decent career. Mobile with decent IQ.

Sam Darnold: 26 years old. Almost as many picks as TDs. Another audition type guy with a little experience.

Malik Willis: Has Indy given up on the 24 year old? Is he even worth looking into?

Jacoby Brissett: Brissett has actually put up decent numbers. 30 and on last year on contract. Audition guy as well.

Thoughts?
All bad options.
Pretty irrelevant since we just got Dobbs...but thanks
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:30 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:09 pm
All bad options.
Pretty irrelevant since we just got Dobbs...but thanks
Dobbs more or less for free was a decent option.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I saw another name in a Facebook post and made the mistake of sharing the article. Can’t trust anybody these days.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:14 pm I'll leave it up to your judgements to decide which options are bad and which are worth looking into. Just wanted to see who MIGHT be available. Here we go:

Case Keenum: (HAAHAHHA!) Cheap contract. Full of magic. Could also be decent backup.

Thoughts?
This post sent me off into draft land about 5 months early. Supposed to be a good qb draft, so I wanted to see how the draftniks had them rated and who might be around if the Vikings decide to draft a qb. Surprisingly, after the first 2 qbs, there is no consensus on who is next or even what round they might be taken in. Here are the qbs who look to go in the the first round or two.

Caleb Wiliams (most likely first pick, and the Bears next qb)

Drake Maye (one mock even had him ahead of Williams, so no chance for Vikings)

Bo Nix (lots of starts at Oregon under his belt, maybe a little more ready to start in NFL because of that?)

J. J. McCarthy (I've seen him play a little bit, seems very accurate, I'd be happy if the Vikings got him)

Michael Penix

Shedeur Sanders (eligible to come out, but might stay in school for another year to play for his father. I think he'll be very good in the NFL. I've read he'll make plenty of money in college due to the NIL thing, so that won't be an incentive.)

Quin Ewers (Eh. He was a big deal coming out of high school, then a disappointment until this year, and now hurt, I think I'd pass on him)

A few others made some lists further down the draft that seem more speculative, or drafted only as backups. Seems like there will still be a good qb - or qb prospect, who knows once they hit the NFL - available if the Vikings don't go on a winning streak. Not sure which way I want the season to go because of that.

(It kills me when that Walter football guy says he has to split his draft in two because of complaints about slow loading. Maybe in 1998 when some guy with an AOL dial up had problems, but not for 20 years has anyone had a problem)
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cogitator wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:22 pm

Thoughts?
This post sent me off into draft land about 5 months early. Supposed to be a good qb draft, so I wanted to see how the draftniks had them rated and who might be around if the Vikings decide to draft a qb. Surprisingly, after the first 2 qbs, there is no consensus on who is next or even what round they might be taken in. Here are the qbs who look to go in the the first round or two.

Caleb Wiliams (most likely first pick, and the Bears next qb)

Drake Maye (one mock even had him ahead of Williams, so no chance for Vikings)

Bo Nix (lots of starts at Oregon under his belt, maybe a little more ready to start in NFL because of that?)

J. J. McCarthy (I've seen him play a little bit, seems very accurate, I'd be happy if the Vikings got him)

Michael Penix

Shedeur Sanders (eligible to come out, but might stay in school for another year to play for his father. I think he'll be very good in the NFL. I've read he'll make plenty of money in college due to the NIL thing, so that won't be an incentive.)

Quin Ewers (Eh. He was a big deal coming out of high school, then a disappointment until this year, and now hurt, I think I'd pass on him)

A few others made some lists further down the draft that seem more speculative, or drafted only as backups. Seems like there will still be a good qb - or qb prospect, who knows once they hit the NFL - available if the Vikings don't go on a winning streak. Not sure which way I want the season to go because of that.

(It kills me when that Walter football guy says he has to split his draft in two because of complaints about slow loading. Maybe in 1998 when some guy with an AOL dial up had problems, but not for 20 years has anyone had a problem)
Caleb will go No 1 IMO. The hype train is running full speed ahead. I don't watch college but I watch his highlights and check out the box score since he was mentioned on this board. I just don't see it. He's short and has games when he'll throw a bunch of TD passes and then zero. But an owner will tell a GM pick this guy because he'll fill the stadium and get people to buy stuff. Much like Snyder did with RG III. In the end it's an entertainment business. You need the actors that will draw peoples attention and spend their money. I liked Scouts Note Book by Joel Buchsbaum starting in the 1980s and that was a great pre draft publication. Profiles on hundreds of players. The last 2 guys I wished we drafted was Lock and Jones. Shows what I know.