Chargers at Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Chargers at Vikings

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:44 pm Cousins makes the call. Who knows what happened. It's a talk in circles at this point.
We know what happened, just not why it happened. We know Cousins couldn't get the playcall due to not being able to hear it. Regardless of what KOC wanted him to do, Cousins can't sit there and do nothing.

So it isn't talk in circles. Nobody could otherwise stop the clock. There were no timeouts left and precious seconds drained away that really only one person could do anything about in that situation.

I wish people would stop making excuses for Cousins. This is as plain as black and white, night and day. He and he alone could have conserved time enough to run 3 more plays with some degree of comfort. He chose not to do that because he was reluctant to take initiative and do it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:11 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:44 pm Cousins makes the call. Who knows what happened. It's a talk in circles at this point.
We know what happened, just not why it happened. We know Cousins couldn't get the playcall due to not being able to hear it. Regardless of what KOC wanted him to do, Cousins can't sit there and do nothing.

So it isn't talk in circles. Nobody could otherwise stop the clock. There were no timeouts left and precious seconds drained away that really only one person could do anything about in that situation.

I wish people would stop making excuses for Cousins. This is as plain as black and white, night and day. He and he alone could have conserved time enough to run 3 more plays with some degree of comfort. He chose not to do that because he was reluctant to take initiative and do it.
Your right Cousins chose a one play do or die. The ball was picked. Who knows what 3 plays would have done. Could be anything. Easy TD, Matteson fumble, strip sack ect.. That's pie in the sky. Cousins is out of here. They are all playing it out. We'll win 6 to 7 games and then look for pieces in the off season.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

The whole team as it is constructed is a circus of failure. This is not exclusively a QB problem by far. The most glaring chronic issue has been a total incompetence by management and coaching to establish ANY front lines for over a decade. From that insurmountable error we then have a gamble on a QB who needs a rock solid line to function (given no OL) and then paid a kings ransom....its a cluster. It has been for years.....fire sale time......again........
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:06 pm
allday1991 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:43 pm Sure they’re for sure, but let’s take into account the 8 or 9 game winning drives he had last year, those are critical moments when he didn’t choke. So let’s put this into something usable. Heck I’ll even group in mistakes from this year. I’ll agree giants game he could of thrown it past the sticks (1 strike against), sure he could of ran up and spiked the ball (2 strikes) heck let’s even add the strip from kj against the bucs (strike 3) and tj vs the chargers(strike 4). It’s still 9-4 which is 9/13 which means in game situations cousins has come through over 64% of the time in tough situations. Far cry from “always” failing in tight situations
But that isn't speaking to the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make doesn't rely on a specific result. A tough call can be made that isn't successful and doesn't result in a win.
True in some situations, however I believe some situations the out come of the call greatly effects public opinion. I think of patriots vs colts when bill decided to go for in on 4th to keep manning off the field. He said something along the lines of if the play succeeds I'm a genius if it fails I'm a fool.
Had Cousins thrown beyond the sticks in that game against the Giants in the playoffs, that doesn't mean he'd have completed it or that the Vikings would have gone on to win that game. Or even against the Chargers if he runs them up and spikes it, it just gives the offense more time to try to score. They still could easily have lost the game even if he spiked it.
Agreed this is a clear cut call were one call was strictly right no matter the outcome.
It's the ability and willingness to make the hard decision that matters more than the specific result of that decision, at least from where I sit.

But I'm willing to acknowledge that those tough calls might also result in wins, so what critical call or decision did Cousins have to make in the 9 game winning drives that you point to as examples?
To me a game winning drive is a critical moment every play call you under pressure

In the game against the Bills, he made a very tough throw to JJ and I also actually give him credit for trying to sneak it in late down near the goal line even though he didn't get in. The Vikings won that game but even had they lost I'd still give Cousins credit. Further, I actually looked at that game as a turning point for Cousins in this area. I thought he finally was going to take those risks and make those hard calls, and I was super optimistic about the team's playoff chances based on that. And then we see the end of that game against the Giants and all the air went out of my support of him.

I respect your belief in Cousins and understand where you're coming from with the point about the lines not being up to snuff (which I agree with). The problem does go deeper than him, but that doesn't mean he's not part of the problem. I think he's an essential part of the problem, to the point where even if the other problems are largely addressed in the short term, Cousins would likely still cost the team at some point due to his inability or unwillingness to make the harder decision.
I also see were your coming from however I'm not sold on throwing to jj in triple coverage having more of a success rate than TJ catching a pass and breaking 1 tackle, what's more likely? not 100% sure. That's cool I respect your belief as well I don't think Kirk is a perfect QB but I do believe we can win a bowl with Cousin but not with the current talent. Like mentioned I don't think Mahomes could lead this current talent to a superbowl.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:02 am ... but I do believe we can win a bowl with Cousin but not with the current talent. Like mentioned I don't think Mahomes could lead this current talent to a superbowl.
I agree with you, with the caveat that it would take a clear cut superior team to expect to win a Superbowl with Cousins. If the game were close or that critical call needed to be made on the field for them to have a chance to win, I think Cousins would falter in that moment. But I also agree that this particular team cannot be saved by any one player. The defensive line and secondary are way too weak, the interior OL stinks, and the offense can't hold on to the ball or execute in key situations. So it goes well beyond any one player.

Really enjoyed the discussion. :govikes:
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:56 am
allday1991 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:02 am ... but I do believe we can win a bowl with Cousin but not with the current talent. Like mentioned I don't think Mahomes could lead this current talent to a superbowl.
I agree with you, with the caveat that it would take a clear cut superior team to expect to win a Superbowl with Cousins. If the game were close or that critical call needed to be made on the field for them to have a chance to win, I think Cousins would falter in that moment. But I also agree that this particular team cannot be saved by any one player. The defensive line and secondary are way too weak, the interior OL stinks, and the offense can't hold on to the ball or execute in key situations. So it goes well beyond any one player.

Really enjoyed the discussion. :govikes:
I enjoyed it as well, have a good day sir.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson