Run defense

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Run defense

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So everyone knew the Eagles were going to run it down their throat halfway through the game and they still couldn't stop it. I don't disagree with the recent additions to the team but the lack of a move to bolster the run defense is puzzling. Do you guys think the problems can be fixed with the existing players on defense?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Run defense

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:50 am So everyone knew the Eagles were going to run it down their throat halfway through the game and they still couldn't stop it. I don't disagree with the recent additions to the team but the lack of a move to bolster the run defense is puzzling. Do you guys think the problems can be fixed with the existing players on defense?
If you didn't see the link I posted near the end of the Eagles game thread, check that out as that talks a little more about how the Vikings defended the run against the Eagles.

As to your question, the problems can be mitigated with the existing players. Flores can trot out bigger front seven players and adjust positioning to make running harder. If he does that, however, he likely makes passing easier. How much easier I don't know, and it is honestly hard to say the pass defense has been all that much better to this point, but Flores seems to like to have 3 safeties on the field and lighten the box.

Anyway, it can't go on like it has for the defense. The run defense has to improve and the overall defense does as well or Flores is going to have to make some major changes. It will be interesting to see how the defense fares against a pretty potent Chargers offense. That will be a good indicator of where things are headed on that side of the ball for the Vikings.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Few general thoughts..

Miami stop, Flores' first season wasn't exactly pretty on the defensive side of the ball. It was pretty bad. I do expect adjustments to be made, because I think he is a smart individual that can adapt. Those adjustments haven't been there yet. We pretty much did the same thing the entire Eagles game. It's tough to watch at times.

The issue with interior defensive lineman, frankly, there aren't a ton of dominant ones right now available either via FA or via a trade. It was something this franchise has normally excelled at having, for whatever reason, we've slipped there. As the game shifts to even more pass oriented, having one guy in the middle that eats up multiple blockers (and allows other spots to be lighter to chase backs or fall into coverage), is even more important. We don't have anyone that fits the profile anywhere on the roster. Not one. Harrison Phillips isn't it. Tonga apparently isn't either. Tomlinson was the closest off last years roster, and obviously we let him walk. If we are gonna run backers out there Pace's size, we've gotta have a dline that keep blockers off them. We also have to keep them off Hunter to maximize his ability to pretty much win any 1:1 battle.

So to VL's point, all we can do right now is put the biggest, strongest, most mass players we have on the line and suffer the likely consequence. I think it could help with one problem, while exposing another. Maybe sign someone like Hicks or Suh? I think Roy needs to get some PT just to see if he can help.

Don't want to harp, or turn this thread into something else. It's hurting having so much draft capital on the defensive side of the ball from 2 seasons ago just sitting on the bench.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

We have nothing at NT and for a 3-4 to work that position needs to be filled with more than just a body. Flores might plug another safety in there hoping that will help. Hello you are getting dominated at the point a safety won't help.