Vikings trade for Akers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings trade for Akers

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings trade for Akers

Post by Angels Wings »

Didn't give up much to get him. He's not a game breaker at the position, but worth a look for a 24 year old running back.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

It's been quite the strange trip LAR and Akers have been on the past year or so. Last year he was coming off of an achilles injury and had a slow start. He then seemed to have some tension with his coaching staff. Rumors flew about him being traded or benched. Then the Rams record took a nose dive and they inexplicably played him (looking to up his trade value?) w/ Baker Mayfield as the team's QB and he plays amazing. This year? The conflicts reemerge and they benched him last week.

I have to assume the KOC knows he's not a serious cancer and that he won't be problematic for the locker room. He's a bit of a high-upside dart throw. I think he's worth it.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:01 pm It's been quite the strange trip LAR and Akers have been on the past year or so. Last year he was coming off of an achilles injury and had a slow start. He then seemed to have some tension with his coaching staff. Rumors flew about him being traded or benched. Then the Rams record took a nose dive and they inexplicably played him (looking to up his trade value?) w/ Baker Mayfield as the team's QB and he plays amazing. This year? The conflicts reemerge and they benched him last week.

I have to assume the KOC knows he's not a serious cancer and that he won't be problematic for the locker room. He's a bit of a high-upside dart throw. I think he's worth it.
Mattison is not a starting caliber NFL running back. He is a handful if he can build up steam, but he has no wiggle at all. I could see him having thrived in a run and shoot system in the late 80s where the middle of the field is wide open. He should probably be the third string back on this team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:25 am Mattison is not a starting caliber NFL running back. He is a handful if he can build up steam, but he has no wiggle at all. I could see him having thrived in a run and shoot system in the late 80s where the middle of the field is wide open. He should probably be the third string back on this team.
I don't think Mattison is the right back for KOC's scheme. KOC keeps running him up the middle when he knows the interior OL is not very good, and in general starting caliber NFL backs need the ability to rapidly change direction and cut back if there is no hole where the play is designed to go. Mattison doesn't do that very often (if at all). Maybe Mattison would thrive in a power run scheme, but in a zone blocking scheme, too many things have to be executed perfectly for him to thrive.