Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

Post by CharVike »

Every team will look for the next Purdy. That's the theme. Don't worry about Purdy analize that 49er team and see if your team matches up. Scheme, players around him ect. If you run the veer or run and gun he don't fit.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:35 pm Not to sidetrack this thread, but I know you live in Iowa and was wondering about your take on Lukas Van Ness. I've seen some mocks with the Vikings taking him and he seems like an intriguing prospect. He strikes me as the kind of player the Vikings can put on the edge and just not have to worry about that side of the DL. Van Ness will play the position the way it needs to be played both in terms of rushing the passer and defending against the run and can do pretty much whatever they want him to do. He sounds like exactly the kind of player the Vikings would want, but I'm curious to get your perspective.
Thanks for asking.

Lukas Van Ness would be an absolute dream football player for the Vikings. The guy’s ability in converting speed to power is absolutely scary. Like a locomotive. He’s stout against the run, too. Solid citizen, no red flags. He has star written all over him.

Weirdly, he never was a starter at Iowa … which should tell you how a lot of Iowa fans feel about coach Kirk Ferentz. His strange “you gotta sit behind upperclassmen for THIS long” system has a lot of us pulling our hair out. How a guy like Van Ness sits behind ANYBODY is a mystery.

There’s this guy from Northwestern, Peter Skoronski, who’s supposed to be the next great left tackle. There’s video from 2022 of Van Ness absolutely destroying Skoronski on a pass rush. Literally puts him on his kiester, and it’s not a fluky thing where the guy slips or something. It’s really impressive.

Only one problem with Van Ness. The chances of him being available at 23 are very slim. If he’s there and the Vikings don’t take him, Kwesi will be on my sh!t list in a big way.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Yeah the more I've looked into Hooker, I'm pulling away as well. This offense just doesnt fit with the NFL. He would need a lot of work. I'm all for trading up for Levis.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:07 pm Only one problem with Van Ness. The chances of him being available at 23 are very slim. If he’s there and the Vikings don’t take him, Kwesi will be on my sh!t list in a big way.
Thanks for sharing your perspective Kapp. You confirm what I've seen and thought about Van Ness. There are maybe one or two players I'd consider taking over him if all were on the board at #23, but he seems like a clear BPA choice at that spot if he's there.

Unfortunately, I agree he's unlikely to be there. I hope that he slides and I think there is a slight chance he does because there are always a few teams in the upper half of the draft that make perplexing choices that push better prospects down the board, but he'll most likely be gone. Still, I can always hope...
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:14 pm Yeah the more I've looked into Hooker, I'm pulling away as well. This offense just doesnt fit with the NFL. He would need a lot of work. I'm all for trading up for Levis.
Curious what you like about Levis.

Just for reference for my observations, this is his player profile over at Walterfootball: https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2023WLevis.php

Things that jump out about Levis to me are

- Consistently put up a 2-1 ratio of TDs to INTs during his college career
- This might be understandable if he at least threw a lot of TDs in college, but the most he threw in a single season was 24 (against 13 INTs that year)
- For guy with his physical tools, his average yards per completion is similarly suspect (best season was 13 YPC).

From the player summary at Walterfootball:
Throws lots of interceptions
Has no feel as a passer and in the pocket
Holds the ball way too long
Takes hard hits from not getting the ball out
Takes some bad sacks
Poor decision-making
Not the most accurate
Tries to strong arm the ball into tight windows
Often stares down his primary read
Not ready to play; needs development
He has no feel," said an AFC director of player personnel. "He doesn't feel the rush, holds onto the ball too long, gets his a** knocked off, and takes some bad sacks. He has poor decision-making and tries to strong arm the ball into traffic. I hate to say it, but he reminded me of Jeff Driskel.
He has Jake Locker vibes to me
He will go higher because of the size, arm, and high-level character, but it doesn't add up," said an AFC director of pro personnel. "Where's the production? He had a new coordinator, a bad offensive line, and was hurt - left shoulder, left foot, and left fingers -, but something doesn't look right. He struggles with anxiety, and maybe that's it, but he's not the most accurate, throws head-scratching interceptions and gets sacked way too easily. The Tennessee game he was terrible (vomit emoji).
It does sound like he brings some things to the table that can create some wow moments, but if he does struggle with composure under pressure and reading the field, and those things are generally pretty baked in by the time a QB prospect reaches the NFL draft, I'm can't be on board with a guy like that.

I have a feeling Levis is going to slide on draft day, and while I still stick by my belief that KOC and KAM won't spend a draft pick on a QB unless they believe in him, I will be hoping he slides right on by the Vikings there. I'm not sure on what point in the draft I'd be OK with them taking him. Maybe mid-2nd. But I just don't think a guy who struggles with the core aspects of playing the QB position be able to get that after entering the pros. KOC is probably a guy who can coach up a QB prospect, but from what I've seen and read, Levis has a long way to go before he gets to that point, and that assumes he can ever get to that point in any system and with any coach.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Kurt Warner has a pre-draft QB assessment channel on Youtube called Kurt Warner x QBConfidential, and he assessed both Hendon Hooker and Will Levis. He breaks his assessments into two parts, the first where he shows positives, and the second where he shows negatives. Warner did some of these assessments for established vets too (he did one on Cousins) and I found everything he pointed out, both good and bad, was spot on.

With that in mind, these are the links to Warner's assessments of both Hooker and Levis. I see a lot more mocks now showing Levis dropping to the Vikings at #23, so I think the chance of the Vikings at least having the option of drafting him is going up by the day. I don't see this as a positive thing for Levis for sure as most mocks had him going in the top 10 or by 15 at the latest. Hooker also seems to be dropping a bit as most mocks now having him lasting well into the 3rd. So I'd say both of these guys are cooling off pre-draft. Might mean a team like the Vikings gets a steal, or might mean both of these players have too many question marks.

Warner's take on Hooker positives - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s75Zg19RCQE
Warner's take on Hooker negatives - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmaCb7QGnGQ

Warner's take on Levis positives - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwCU_PP35f4
Warner's take on Levis negatives - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7HS3OJMxG8&t=147s

After watching Warner's takes on both, it comes down to risk-reward from my perspective. Both QBs have substantial negatives or at least significant question marks. Levis is unlikely to make it past the 2nd round, however, and probably won't make it past the end of the 1st, so if the Vikings want him they're going to have to spend their 1st rounder to get him. Hooker, OTOH, looks increasingly likely to still be on the board when pick 87 rolls around in the 3rd. If the Vikings want him they can probably spend their 1st or whatever higher round pick they end up with if KAM trades back to take a different position and spend their 3rd for a QB prospect. So less risk for roughly the same potential reward.

And if they decide to take a swing in the 4th there might be a few sleepers at the position available there at even better risk-reward. Dark horse prospects like Max Duggan of TCU (any thoughts on Max Texas Vike?) or Grayson McCall of Coastal Carolina should still be on the board in the 4th. Both carry some question marks that push them down the board but both were very productive in college and seem to have good potential to surprise to the upside as pros. Perfect 4th round value picks for developmental QB prospects under a coach like KOC and neither will be expected to come in and save the day right away.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Max Duggan...ehhh. He didn't win the job over Chandler Morris at tcu when the season started. Morris got hurt and Duggan got another chance. He did grow a lot in Sonny Dykes' and Garret Riley's (Lincolns little brother) offense.

His accuracy is not too good. Can be very poor at times actually. Was an issue most of his time at tcu. He got bailed out by wr (Johnston) often this past year...who I do very much like. He is a good leader, and is mobile, often leaned on it too much. He can take a beating and did step up last year under pressure multiple times. Average frame. Average arm. I think his mental fortitude is his biggest strength. ..

Speaking of Riley. I'll take Caleb Williams next year please. :P
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

makila wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:16 pm Max Duggan...ehhh. He didn't win the job over Chandler Morris at tcu when the season started. Morris got hurt and Duggan got another chance. He did grow a lot in Sonny Dykes' and Garret Riley's (Lincolns little brother) offense.

His accuracy is not too good. Can be very poor at times actually. Was an issue most of his time at tcu. He got bailed out by wr (Johnston) often this past year...who I do very much like. He is a good leader, and is mobile, often leaned on it too much. He can take a beating and did step up last year under pressure multiple times. Average frame. Average arm. I think his mental fortitude is his biggest strength. ..

Speaking of Riley. I'll take Caleb Williams next year please. :P
Yeah, Duggan seems to be more of a pure football player and a leader than a passer. Kind of reminds me of Joe Kapp in a way. Some of Kapp's passes looked like someone shot them mid-air, but the guy was just a leader and everyone on the field respected the hell out of him. He gave as well as he got on every play. Duggan strikes me as a guy in that mold. Call me old-fashioned, but players with that level of commitment and character are rare commodities these days. The Vikings could do worse than taking a chance on a guy like Duggan if he were there in the 4th or 5th round.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:01 pm
IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:33 pm With the 23rd pick of the 2023 NFL draft,
The Minnesota Vikings select...
Hendon Hooker.. Quarterback..Tennessee.

I personally would be thrilled. If not injured, and 25, he would be top 10... maybe top 3.

Sit and learn the offense behind Kirk and take over in '24. Plus 5 year rookie deal

Bucky Brooks just mentioned that the QB position is a leadership position and he is off the charts. Also, being 25 is irrelevant with the QB position.
He is still projected by many to be a 3rd pick. If hes there with our 3rd pick it would be a really fun pick. Has a lot of question marks though.
I am not saying you are wrong here.. have fun, enjoy, it’s the dead season

I don’t care if you Jeremiah, kiper, or any other scouting expert.if they hit five of 32 right. It’s probably doing good. They may judge talent, need.

But on draft day everything is so secretive. Are these owners, GMs telling these gurus who they plan or hope to draft. I don’t think so.

We know our teams weaknesses strength. IM sure many here know other teams weaknesses and strengths. Me personally don’t care about other teams.I only care about my Vikings. I loved my Vikings longer than the majority here. I started year two. Might be a few here longer..

Don’t get me wrong. I look at these draft gurus evaluations
.Its my base for seeing the talent. I like draft day.The reality of who we actually have. Not who we like to have, who we actually have.

I might not have liked Kurt Werner on draft day, but a few yrs later praise him. If I we grabbed Adam Thielen, john Randle in say second round would we be happy at the time. Would they have been worth it today

It’s the luck of the draw. How many thousands/millions does teams spend to hit 50%

One thing is for sure. We love our Vikings. Agree with them or not. Many of us felt many a heart break. Four super bowl losses., missed fg Atlanta playoffs. The Hail Mary Dallas. Les steckles season. Some here may not remember him, that season

But we bleed purple and gold.

Here is to hitting the jack pot draft day :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:16 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:01 pm

He is still projected by many to be a 3rd pick. If hes there with our 3rd pick it would be a really fun pick. Has a lot of question marks though.

I don’t care if you Jeremiah, kiper, or any other scouting expert.if they hit five of 32 right. It’s probably doing good. They may judge talent, need.

But on draft day everything is so secretive. Are these owners, GMs telling these gurus who they plan or hope to draft. I don’t think so.

We know our teams weaknesses strength. IM sure many here know other teams weaknesses and strengths. Me personally don’t care about other teams.I only care about my Vikings. I loved my Vikings longer than the majority here. I started year two. Might be a few here longer..

.Its my base for seeing the talent. I like draft day.The reality of who we actually have. Not who we like to have, who we actually have.

I might not have liked Kurt Werner on draft day, but a few yrs later praise him. If I we grabbed Adam Thielen, john Randle in say second round would we be happy at the time. Would they have been worth it today

It’s the luck of the draw. How many thousands/millions does teams spend to hit 50%

One thing is for sure. We love our Vikings. Agree with them or not. Many of us felt many a heart break. Four super bowl losses., missed fg Atlanta playoffs. The Hail Mary Dallas. Les steckles season. Some here may not remember him, that season

You know how many QBs have been mocked to us at 23? Everyone except Stroud and the Bama guy. There off the board picks one and two. Stroud is the guy that jumps out to me. I wouldn't take the Bama guy. Being 5'10" and maybe 200 ILBs on a good day is too small. But the teams owner could say select that guy. I want to sell the stadium out. I've seen Richardson mocked as high as No 3. You have to be kidding me. But the guy gets the media attention which means selling stuff which means money.
Les Steckle allowed us to have pick No 4 in the 85 draft and that was used on Doleman. I was thrilled when we drafted Buster Rhymes that year. He was a game breaker with the Sooners but had drug problems that cost him his career. Those problems are why he was a 4th round pick. Our team is the trade down kings. I'm so sick of that BS when I hear it my stomach turns. Yes there are good players all over the draft and guys that don't get drafted making the HOF. You could say a team don't need any picks. I'd prefer pick 1 over pick 32 in the draft regardless of what anyone thinks. Trade down for nothing. That makes sense.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:35 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:16 am

You know how many QBs have been mocked to us at 23? Everyone except Stroud and the Bama guy. There off the board picks one and two. Stroud is the guy that jumps out to me. I wouldn't take the Bama guy. Being 5'10" and maybe 200 ILBs on a good day is too small. But the teams owner could say select that guy. I want to sell the stadium out. I've seen Richardson mocked as high as No 3. You have to be kidding me. But the guy gets the media attention which means selling stuff which means money.
Les Steckle allowed us to have pick No 4 in the 85 draft and that was used on Doleman. I was thrilled when we drafted Buster Rhymes that year. He was a game breaker with the Sooners but had drug problems that cost him his career. Those problems are why he was a 4th round pick. Our team is the trade down kings. I'm so sick of that BS when I hear it my stomach turns. Yes there are good players all over the draft and guys that don't get drafted making the HOF. You could say a team don't need any picks. I'd prefer pick 1 over pick 32 in the draft regardless of what anyone thinks. Trade down for nothing. That makes sense.
I am much with you. I love Brice young as a QBs...his height and wait might be a concern, but I think of tarkenton, Brees, R Wilson, Brees. I seen Young play a lot of games being a Bama die hard.

I understand the odds go up with high picks. I am not so big on trade downs. Great if you draft the right talent. The trick is finding the right guys, .but no one seems to do that

How many picks did we have last year, how many panned. Wonder how we would have done with higher picks

But it does boil down to choice either way. Picking the right guy.

SF did at QB in mr irelelavent. Purdy
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:59 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:35 pm
I am much with you. I love Brice young as a QBs...his height and wait might be a concern, but I think of tarkenton, Brees, R Wilson, Brees. I seen Young play a lot of games being a Bama die hard.

I understand the odds go up with high picks. I am not so big on trade downs. Great if you draft the right talent. The trick is finding the right guys, .but no one seems to do that

How many picks did we have last year, how many panned. Wonder how we would have done with higher picks

If you draft the right talent it doesn't matter were you pick. However the top QBs fly off the board. Andrew Luck wasn't going to be there in round 7. The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes. They were worried then didn't move up enough. Very few if any GM always drafts the right talent. SF did make a great pick with Purdy. They also swung and missed with Lance. One was the last guy the other was the 3rd player selected. Kewsi who has no plan knew he wasn't going to stick with Kirk then Purdy should have been with us. IMO Purdy wouldn't have had the same success with us. The core talent level isn't the same on both teams. The 49ers are much stronger all across the roster. Starting from the ground up. Our draft last year wasn't very good at all. Forget the excuses. That G we played Ingram sucks. He needs to work on his craft. But I guarantee he will be starting again. That won't solve the problem. Cine couldn't beat out Bynum and the NFL world thinks he sucks. I happen to like him. Now old man Smith is back and I assume Cine will be handed the other job and Bynum will be thrown in the garbage. It's a circle jerk.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:48 am
Foreman44 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:59 pm

If you draft the right talent it doesn't matter were you pick. However the top QBs fly off the board. Andrew Luck wasn't going to be there in round 7. The Chiefs traded up for Mahomes. They were worried then didn't move up enough. Very few if any GM always drafts the right talent. SF did make a great pick with Purdy. They also swung and missed with Lance. One was the last guy the other was the 3rd player selected. Kewsi who has no plan knew he wasn't going to stick with Kirk then Purdy should have been with us. IMO Purdy wouldn't have had the same success with us. The core talent level isn't the same on both teams. The 49ers are much stronger all across the roster. Starting from the ground up. Our draft last year wasn't very good at all. Forget the excuses. That G we played Ingram sucks. He needs to work on his craft. But I guarantee he will be starting again. That won't solve the problem. Cine couldn't beat out Bynum and the NFL world thinks he sucks. I happen to like him. Now old man Smith is back and I assume Cine will be handed the other job and Bynum will be thrown in the garbage. It's a circle jerk.
Right on target with me any way.

I am not sure how our gym works, except it felt the same as before trade down more picks. Maybe the gambler, banking that he hits the jackpot. But like the slots in any casino. You lose. The occasional hit. But more losses than wins.

First and second round should be good choices. Mahomes and Luck were good picks. Were they the exception?

You also had many college greats such as,Leaf, Russell, RG3; Manzel, Leinhart,Schuler, Mirer, Ware, Mind is brain freezing on another .qb out of Oklahoma played for the Browns bouncing around the past two yrs.

Busts are every where. Early late. They need to find the gems. But there is no sure fire player. We had ours in ponder

Maybe I don’t make sense. But I always felt this way. All these gurus,all the money spent doesn’t have a answer.

Here’s to a good draft. Cross our fingers
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:47 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:48 am

I am not sure how our gym works, except it felt the same as before trade down more picks. Maybe the gambler, banking that he hits the jackpot. But like the slots in any casino. You lose. The occasional hit. But more losses than wins.

First and second round should be good choices. Mahomes and Luck were good picks. Were they the exception?

You also had many college greats such as,Leaf, Russell, RG3; Manzel, Leinhart,Schuler, Mirer, Ware, Mind is brain freezing on another .qb out of Oklahoma played for the Browns bouncing around the past two yrs.

Busts are every where. Early late. They need to find the gems. But there is no sure fire player. We had ours in ponder

Maybe I don’t make sense. But I always felt this way. All these gurus,all the money spent doesn’t have a answer.

Mayfield is the sooner guy. He's still floating around somewhere. He could be our guy next year. A lot of bust players are sometimes bust based on who drafts them. If Luck went to a team that understood the importance of the OL play he might have a few SB wins. For him he left the game early because of the beatings and rehab BS. If Mahomes went to the Texans I highly doubt he would be raising SB trophies. The story would be this guy sucks what a wasted pick. Same if we picked him. A team can create a bust. We might have created a bust out of Ingram. He wasn't ready to play and shouldn't have been on the field. That could ruin him. Maybe it will turn him into an all pro. We will know week 1. Hopefully he's a stud. We need that badly.
Maybe we screwed Ponder ourselves. We signed McNabb to play and Ponder to learn from. But McNabb sucked and was 1-5 so we benched him and then Ponder was thrown into the battle. He did lead us to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Yes AP had 2000 yards which helped. Zim ball before Zim. But the wheels fell off the cart after that 10-6 season. I'll blame Samantha. He went for that win over a Viking win. Who can blame him.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:17 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:47 am

Mayfield is the sooner guy. He's still floating around somewhere. He could be our guy next year. A lot of bust players are sometimes bust based on who drafts them. If Luck went to a team that understood the importance of the OL play he might have a few SB wins. For him he left the game early because of the beatings and rehab BS. If Mahomes went to the Texans I highly doubt he would be raising SB trophies. The story would be this guy sucks what a wasted pick. Same if we picked him. A team can create a bust. We might have created a bust out of Ingram. He wasn't ready to play and shouldn't have been on the field. That could ruin him. Maybe it will turn him into an all pro. We will know week 1. Hopefully he's a stud. We need that badly.
Maybe we screwed Ponder ourselves. We signed McNabb to play and Ponder to learn from. But McNabb sucked and was 1-5 so we benched him and then Ponder was thrown into the battle. He did lead us to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Yes AP had 2000 yards which helped. Zim ball before Zim. But the wheels fell off the cart after that 10-6 season. I'll blame Samantha. He went for that win over a Viking win. Who can blame him.
True.some great QBs failedbecause they go to bad teams,

As much as I hate Green Bay....they were smart with Rogers. They had Favre no need fora QBs but drafted Rodgers to play behind Favre. We will see how well it works for love,

A reason I believe we need QBs to play behind cousins., or pray they have a plan. Hoping it’s not mayfield