Vikings sign TE Josh Oliver

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings sign TE Josh Oliver

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings sign TE Josh Oliver

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Interesting signing. Not one that I was expecting.

Seems like the league is going to run a lot of 12 personnel. With the right tight ends, it can pay off. If the defense plays base, you get mismatches in the passing game. If they go nickel, you’ve got heavy against light for the running game.

Both Hock and Oliver are good run blockers. Oliver hasn’t had a ton of targets in his career, but KOC managed to coax 19 receptions out of Johnny Mundt, who came into 2022 with 10 in his career. Oliver also runs about 4.6, not bad for a tight end.

Curious to see what KOC has planned.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Of all the FA sighning we could have had, this is the stupidest. We need help littterally ever place other thean TE, so KAM, being the smartest guy in the room, signs a TE. YAY! :wallbang:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:34 pm Of all the FA sighning we could have had, this is the stupidest. We need help littterally ever place other thean TE, so KAM, being the smartest guy in the room, signs a TE. YAY! :wallbang:
He's not the smartest guy in the room. According to him he's the smartest guy in the NFL. This TE is a big dude and I guess can block. We are team 3 in his short career and gave him 21 mill for 3 yrs. That's a step price for a blocker. The Ravens didn't want him for some reason. I think we are strong on the outside. We can't block in the middle. And then this.
According to Sports Info Solutions, Minnesota ran only 134 plays out of 12 personnel in 2022, which ranked 27th in the National Football League. Not exactly an offense that utilizes multiple tight ends. Maybe KOC will switch from a 3 WR base to a heavy TE base. Blocking TEs are easier to find than WRs who can get open and catch. Mundt was an easy grab and played ok.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm Interesting signing. Not one that I was expecting.

Seems like the league is going to run a lot of 12 personnel. With the right tight ends, it can pay off. If the defense plays base, you get mismatches in the passing game. If they go nickel, you’ve got heavy against light for the running game.

Both Hock and Oliver are good run blockers. Oliver hasn’t had a ton of targets in his career, but KOC managed to coax 19 receptions out of Johnny Mundt, who came into 2022 with 10 in his career. Oliver also runs about 4.6, not bad for a tight end.

They also made sure to keep C.J. Ham who is now the second highest paid FB in the league and widely considered top 5 at his position. The Rams don't even carry a fullback.

Maybe he doesn't think he'll be able to significantly upgrade the offensive line so he's beefing up blocking at other positions?
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

The ravens already have a ton of money at the TE position in Andrews, plus Isaiah Likely. Have no idea of this guy but we definitely did not have a good TE situation last year until we got TJ. I am thinking also that this helps O'Neill after Achilles surgery.
Keeping Ham means keeping leadership in the locker room at a minimal cost.
Keeping Hicks is a way cheaper option than Kendricks was. Plus, he took a pay cut and will have 2/3 of the linebackers back. Keeps a veteran presence also, again at a minimal cost.
Regardless of what we think is the right call, I am sure that every decision is made with a few people in mind, KAM and KOC, and for a reason.
I would expect more 12 personnel obviously going forward
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Seems like a total waste for that amount of money.

Bradbury back too I just read. Gross. Still having nightmares of Dexter Lawrence caving him in continually. I thought we were finally free.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:24 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm Interesting signing. Not one that I was expecting.

They also made sure to keep C.J. Ham who is now the second highest paid FB in the league and widely considered top 5 at his position. The Rams don't even carry a fullback.

Maybe he doesn't think he'll be able to significantly upgrade the offensive line so he's beefing up blocking at other positions?
Looking forward to the FB/2te/1wr/1HB offense. Barf.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Pep2Moss wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:13 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:24 am

Looking forward to the FB/2te/1wr/1HB offense. Barf.
Right. If you want the Vikings improved you fix the friggin IOL first, maybe a guard AND a center (not a POS like Turdbury).Kam is making Rick look like a genius right now.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I disagree. New HC and new OL coach. I would think that if KOC and Kuper felt we had to move on, then we would be. Right now there will be ZERO turnover from the OL. Hopefully that leads to better play. As for KAM, he is definitely getting the team younger and more athletic.
I cannot believe that we resigned Bradbury, but what else is available?
What if someone else took JMS in the draft before us?
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 am I disagree. New HC and new OL coach. I would think that if KOC and Kuper felt we had to move on, then we would be. Right now there will be ZERO turnover from the OL. Hopefully that leads to better play. As for KAM, he is definitely getting the team younger and more athletic.
I cannot believe that we resigned Bradbury, but what else is available?
What if someone else took JMS in the draft before us?
Honestly deal down and take a center round 2. Bradbury gets mauled up the middle by bigger guys. You have to help him, and the guards are not great either.