Za'Darius Smith has informed the team he wishes to be released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Za'Darius Smith has informed the team he wishes to be released

Post by CharVike »

I wonder what happened. His house is up for sale. Great signing. Tweet is below.
I just want to say “Thank you!” to Skol Nation for an amazing season & experience! Thank you to all of my Teammates, Coaches & the entire Minnesota Vikings Organization! 💜
If they do cut him looks like we need another LBer. Also saw a trade offer was made for Cook. Thielen released also.
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Za'Darius Smith has informed the team he wishes to be released

Post by Cliff »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:07 am I wonder what happened. His house is up for sale. Great signing. Tweet is below.
I just want to say “Thank you!” to Skol Nation for an amazing season & experience! Thank you to all of my Teammates, Coaches & the entire Minnesota Vikings Organization! 💜
If they do cut him looks like we need another LBer. Also saw a trade offer was made for Cook. Thielen released also.
He can write goodbye but he's still under contract so ...

Vikings' Za'Darius Smith requests release from team; Minnesota has no plans to cut LB
The linebacker informed the Vikings he wishes to be released, but the team has no plans to do so, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday.

The situation remains unsolved, Rapoport added.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think he's already gone honestly. If the Vikings are saying they have no intention of releasing him it's most likely because they still hope they can get someone to make an offer for him, but I think they've already told him he won't be the guaranteed starter next season and probably have a good idea of who will be. His contract never matched his production even with his fast start and that continues a trend that had started when he was with the Packers.

He brought a lot of great energy to the field and to the team, but the Vikings are right to move on and hopefully Smith finds a good fit where he can still contribute.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This was a dick move.

He’s put the Vikings in a terrible position with this tweet. If the Vikings had any hope of trading ZSmith, that’s probably gone now. Why would you trade a pick for a guy who, if he’s not released, is going to be a problem in the locker room?

The Vikings took a chance on this guy, and he repays them by giving them the big middle finger.

Give him his release. Suck up the $3 million in dead money and pick up the $12 million in cap savings. See ya.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He can't stay healthy and they can save a lot of money by cutting him. I'd do it now and Smith to boot.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Vikings don't want to release him if they can get a pick for him in a trade.
Right now he is up for auction to the league.

Heard Smith wants to stay and will tear up contract and do a new reduced one.
That's great to hear, if KAM, KOC, and BF want him.

Was surprised by the Dantzler cut. Rookie contract and young. I am guessing that problems in the locker room led to this.