Eric Kendricks released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MossCarterJefferson
Rookie

Eric Kendricks released

Post by MossCarterJefferson »

https://www.vikings.com/news/eric-kendr ... the%20Year.

It makes me sad but it had to be done, I am going to miss him and he was a very good linebacker, I think he will be in the ring of honor, thank you Eric for the memories! :thumbsup:
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Eric Kendricks released

Post by IIsweet »

Agreed, unfortunately, football is a business. Great for him is that he has made a good amount of $ and should be able to enjoy the remainder of his life. I no doubt believe that he will sign on with another team at some point.
EK was involved in so many good things in the community as well. Really enjoyed EK, but it is time.
This is the first shoe to fall, I am expecting many more.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Best of luck Eric, you were a great player on and off the field, you lead with your play rather than your talk and we’re always a great team mate. I’m going to miss trying to guess how many times you’ll loose your helmet a game, thanks for the memories.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If Kendricks goes to a 4-3 defense next season he's going to be just fine. Scheme change affected him more than wear-and-tear IMHO.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:34 pm If Kendricks goes to a 4-3 defense next season he's going to be just fine. Scheme change affected him more than wear-and-tear IMHO.
Agree completely VL.

From a recent article in The Athletic:
Playing defense for former head coach Mike Zimmer, the linebackers were challenged to play in man coverage. They also spearheaded the defense’s efforts to get to the opposing quarterback. Even when Zimmer called zone coverages, the linebackers surveyed the landscape in front of them and attached themselves to an opposing route runner.

“You really had a man-to-man mindset on every snap,” [former Vikings linebacker Chad] Greenway said.

As Greenway saw it, Kendricks had mastered those job requirements. He comprehended offensive protection schemes and seamlessly applied that knowledge on the field. An offense would shift and motion, for example, and Kendricks orchestrated the defense’s adjustments.

As plays evolved, Kendricks diagnosed concepts. Greenway marveled at his ability to anticipate.

“He is probably the most instinctive player I ever played with, hands down,” Greenway said. “From that position, his cognitive ability to understand what was going to come, and then his physical ability to react and make a play, was really incredible.”

In some ways, these impressions are what made last season so jarring, which is what partially softened the emotional toll of this move. Kendricks appeared to misread routes. He seemed uncertain. It was almost like watching a spider lose its ability to spin a web.

To what degree were Kendricks’ struggles a product of eight seasons of wear and tear at age 31? On the other hand, how hamstrung was he by what fired defensive coordinator Ed Donatell was asking of him? Only Kendricks’ future in the NFL will help us answer those questions.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.