O'Neill to IR

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

O'Neill to IR

Post by Texas Vike »

This does not bode well for our playoff chances. I hope O'Neill can make a full recovery, whatever it is that he has. I really hope it's not a blown achilles.
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
29m
The Vikings placed C Austin Schlottmann and RT Brian O'Neill on IR, effectively ending their seasons.

They signed veteran C Greg Mancz (32 career starts) to the active roster, signed former Rams OT Bobby Evans to the practice squad, and released OLB Chris Garrett from the PS.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: O'Neill to IR

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:35 pm This does not bode well for our playoff chances. I hope O'Neill can make a full recovery, whatever it is that he has. I really hope it's not a blown achilles.
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
29m
The Vikings placed C Austin Schlottmann and RT Brian O'Neill on IR, effectively ending their seasons.

They signed veteran C Greg Mancz (32 career starts) to the active roster, signed former Rams OT Bobby Evans to the practice squad, and released OLB Chris Garrett from the PS.
This just adds to my confusion regarding the field conditions at Lambeau last Sunday and the problems the Vikings had with slipping all over that field. I don't know that was related to O'Neill's injury but he's been injury-free since taking over as the starting RT IIRC, and he was injured not while blocking on the play, but while in pursuit after the INT, so it seems more likely he might have been a literal victim of the poor field conditions.
Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Not good.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

O'Neil seems like a good young player and man. I wish him a full recovery.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:35 pm This does not bode well for our playoff chances. I hope O'Neill can make a full recovery, whatever it is that he has. I really hope it's not a blown achilles.
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
29m

Unfortunately, it IS an achilles, sigh.

I hope he makes a full recovery. We need him!
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
36m
Brian O'Neill suffered a partially torn Achilles on Sunday, per
@RapSheet
. He's out for the season. The Vikings will move forward with Oli Udoh at right tackle.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This completely sucks.

Once again, I have to wonder how much field conditions played into this injury, as well as the broken fibula of Austin Schlottmann.

I guess the silver lining is that KOC thinks Blake Brandel may be ready for the playoffs. Who would’ve imagined that getting Blake Brandel back would be good news?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

O'Neill will have surgery and aim to be ready for the 2023 season.
The good news is that it was just a partial tear, so O'Neill should make a full recovery after surgery.
"My understanding is he should be able to make a full recovery and be ready and hopefully available to start next season," O'Connell said.
For now, Oli Udoh is the Vikings' right tackle. He stepped in when O'Neill went down early in Sunday's loss in Green Bay and is set to start this weekend in Chicago.
Blank Blandel - News
However, there's a chance the Vikings will be getting swing tackle Blake Brandel back from injured reserve soon. He suffered a torn MCL 3.5 weeks ago against the Lions, but is apparently progressing well and is eligible to come off IR for the first round of the playoffs. That would be a big boost. Brandel mostly played well while filling in for Christian Darrisaw at left tackle over five games earlier this season.
"There is a very good chance we'll get Blake back," O'Connell said. "He's done an excellent job in his recovery and we thought, when he got that injury, that it would be right around that four-week mark, which allowed us to use that temporary IR tag. I know Blake is doing everything he can to get back with his guys up front there as soon as possible."

The quicker Oli is out of the lineup the better.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:19 am O'Neill will have surgery and aim to be ready for the 2023 season.
The good news is that it was just a partial tear, so O'Neill should make a full recovery after surgery.
"My understanding is he should be able to make a full recovery and be ready and hopefully available to start next season," O'Connell said.
For now, Oli Udoh is the Vikings' right tackle. He stepped in when O'Neill went down early in Sunday's loss in Green Bay and is set to start this weekend in Chicago.
Blank Blandel - News
However, there's a chance the Vikings will be getting swing tackle Blake Brandel back from injured reserve soon. He suffered a torn MCL 3.5 weeks ago against the Lions, but is apparently progressing well and is eligible to come off IR for the first round of the playoffs. That would be a big boost. Brandel mostly played well while filling in for Christian Darrisaw at left tackle over five games earlier this season.
"There is a very good chance we'll get Blake back," O'Connell said. "He's done an excellent job in his recovery and we thought, when he got that injury, that it would be right around that four-week mark, which allowed us to use that temporary IR tag. I know Blake is doing everything he can to get back with his guys up front there as soon as possible."

Have they announced that O'Neill will have surgery? I'm guessing they will opt for that, but since it is a partial tear, they may not. Last Sunday was a dark day at Lambeau.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:50 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:19 am O'Neill will have surgery and aim to be ready for the 2023 season.
Blank Blandel - News

Have they announced that O'Neill will have surgery? I'm guessing they will opt for that, but since it is a partial tear, they may not. Last Sunday was a dark day at Lambeau.
Yes I'm almost positive he is. Can't remember where I saw it but I'm nearly certain he is.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri