TJ Hockenson a Viking

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: TJ Hockenson a Viking

Post by vikeinmontana »

Guys I'm impressed! I came here this morning fully expecting to see what a terrible move this was. How bad TJ is. How stupid Kwesi is. How the Lions put one over on us. How this move would kill our season. What a pleasant surprise! :banana:
i'm ready for a beer.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:17 am Guys I'm impressed! I came here this morning fully expecting to see what a terrible move this was. How bad TJ is. How stupid Kwesi is. How the Lions put one over on us. How this move would kill our season. What a pleasant surprise! :banana:
Haha, a positivity Wednesday! Cant beat that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:17 am Guys I'm impressed! I came here this morning fully expecting to see what a terrible move this was. How bad TJ is. How stupid Kwesi is. How the Lions put one over on us. How this move would kill our season. What a pleasant surprise! :banana:
I was prepared to rip on the move just because, believe it or not, I thought Smith was turning the corner. As soon as I found out that Smith was done, I was amazed at how we made this deal and didn't get bent over backwards in the process.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:14 am Love this:
Matt Fries
@FriesFootball
Right now the Vikings are in line to pick 30th. The Lions are in line to pick first. Their second round pick is slated to be #61 overall. The Lions' 4th round pick is slated to be #102 overall.

The value difference between the two picks is equal to the last pick of the 6th round
That report was erroneous. The value is much higher. More like an early 3rd round pick 69. Still not a bad price to pay when we were desperate for a TE.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mr. Walleye wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:17 am TJ Hockenson (HOCK) will be a tremendous addition. I watched him play in High School and at Iowa. He is a big-time talent who is fast, has great hands, and can block as well as anyone in the league except for the great George Kittle. Vikings fans we have acquired a gem and he will flourish in our offense. Sit back and enjoy as he will be an All-Pro on a yearly basis barring injury., mark my words.
I like the positivity.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:55 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:14 am Love this:

That report was erroneous. The value is much higher. More like an early 3rd round pick 69. Still not a bad price to pay when we were desperate for a TE.
In what way is it erroneous? I suspect you may be misunderstanding what Matt Fries is actually saying.

I do see that on Twitter there has been some back and forth regarding his tweet that I quoted upthread. Here's his follow up point:
Obviously we need to account for the 2024 picks as well, but we don't know the conditions on the 4th rounder. a mid-3rd dropping off to a mid-4th is equivalent to a late 7th round pick on the F-S chart.

Functionally, the Vikings gave up a 2023 6th and a 2024 7th for Hockenson.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:55 am
In what way is it erroneous? I suspect you may be misunderstanding what Matt Fries is actually saying.

I do see that on Twitter there has been some back and forth regarding his tweet that I quoted upthread. Here's his follow up point:
Obviously we need to account for the 2024 picks as well, but we don't know the conditions on the 4th rounder. a mid-3rd dropping off to a mid-4th is equivalent to a late 7th round pick on the F-S chart.

Functionally, the Vikings gave up a 2023 6th and a 2024 7th for Hockenson.
I saw that the report from Fries was totally wrong from many sources. I thought he acknowledged it himself.
The value of dropping from a 2023 pick #62 to 2023 pick #102 is the equivalent of giving up pick #69 in the 2023 draft. Teams can't move up from pick 102 to pick 62 just by giving a 6th round pick. No way in hell. We didn't get Hockenson for the equivalent of one 6th and one 7th round pick.

Rich Hill Trade Chart points*:

MN gets: Hockenson, 2023 R4 (38 points), 2024 R4 (32)

DET gets: 2023 R2 (91), 2024 R3 (50)

*2024 estimates

Vikes relinquish 71 points.

Upshot: Vikes acquired Hockenson for equivalent of the No. 69th pick.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:18 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 am

I saw that the report from Fries was totally wrong from many sources. I thought he acknowledged it himself.
The value of dropping from a 2023 pick #62 to 2023 pick #102 is the equivalent of giving up pick #69 in the 2023 draft. Teams can't move up from pick 102 to pick 62 just by giving a 6th round pick. No way in hell. We didn't get Hockenson for the equivalent of one 6th and one 7th round pick.

*2024 estimates

No, Fries doesn't acknowledge anything. He just explains why he thinks the Rich HIll and Jim Johnson trade charts are off. You can see more in the twitter thread I cited above. But, who cares? We got a great Hock for a great deal. Moving down from 62 to 102 (in 2023) and getting Hock for it is a sweet pick up.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:56 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:18 pm

*2024 estimates

No, Fries doesn't acknowledge anything. He just explains why he thinks the Rich HIll and Jim Johnson trade charts are off. You can see more in the twitter thread I cited above. But, who cares? We got a great Hock for a great deal. Moving down from 62 to 102 (in 2023) and getting Hock for it is a sweet pick up.
I heard he acknowledged his error, but even if he didn't he should have. It's beyond obvious that it's an error. Regardless of what chart you're using moving down from 62-102 plus however much the other move down is is greater than the value of a 6th round pick. Did we get a good deal? Seems like it, but we didn't get him for the equivalent of a 6th round pick. No way in hell.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Picked up this gem from SI.com. It compares T.J. Hockenson to the other two guys the Vikings were rumored to be looking at ... Jerry Jeudy and Brandin Cooks.
... Using 538’s recently published wide receiver rankings, which is based on ESPN’s analytical data, T.J. Hockenson has been the 37th-best receiver this season, regardless of position. Jeudy is ranked 61st. Cooks is ranked 94th.
Cooks would have cost the Vikings a fortune. His cap hits the next two seasons are $26 million and $24 million. Jeudy, coming up on an extension, would eventually cost just as much. As we know, paying a WR is way more expensive than paying a tight end. The highest paid tight end in the NFL is Darren Waller at $17 million. George Kittle just got $15 million AAV over 5 years — 25 wide receivers make more than that, including Adam Thielen.

Just more evidence of how savvy a move this was by Kwesi ... and honestly how dumb a move it was for the Lions.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Vikings were finally going to be on local TV, playing the Redskins, and I was excited to see Hockenson. He was the guy I wanted the Vikings to draft the year he came out.

Alas, the roofers came on Sunday instead of Monday and I wasn't going to turn them away, but that meant no direcTV. So...I had wings in the oven and pizza dough rising...but no game to watch. Vikings keep winning, but I haven't seen a game in over a month! Strange to be so uninvested. I've always been way too gung ho for my own good when it comes to vikings football. Kinda nice to be free from that and just treat it as a light hearted diversion.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Chi-Town Vike
Starter

Post by Chi-Town Vike »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:03 am Vikings were finally going to be on local TV, playing the Redskins, and I was excited to see Hockenson. He was the guy I wanted the Vikings to draft the year he came out.

Alas, the roofers came on Sunday instead of Monday and I wasn't going to turn them away, but that meant no direcTV. So...I had wings in the oven and pizza dough rising...but no game to watch. Vikings keep winning, but I haven't seen a game in over a month! Strange to be so uninvested. I've always been way too gung ho for my own good when it comes to vikings football. Kinda nice to be free from that and just treat it as a light hearted diversion.
Good for you!!!, it's not that serious. One day the Vikings will win a Super Bowl. But, will it happen in your lifetime???. It's a question Cubs fans often asked.
Skol