Draft Day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Draft Day thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

40for60 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:51 pm My overall takeaway from this draft is that the new regime realized that this team was sorely lacking in overall young talent and depth. Thus the attempt anyway to get multiple picks in the early rounds. The trades that have me baffled though are the ones with the raiders. I am confused as to what the Vikings got out of those that helped.
If I got it straight we traded back from 22 to 26 for some kind of bonus pick, then agreed to change the deal to 2 5th round picks. Ballpark fair trade. I love getting Chandler so I think the trade worked out great.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:07 pm
40for60 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:51 pm My overall takeaway from this draft is that the new regime realized that this team was sorely lacking in overall young talent and depth. Thus the attempt anyway to get multiple picks in the early rounds. The trades that have me baffled though are the ones with the raiders. I am confused as to what the Vikings got out of those that helped.
If I got it straight we traded back from 22 to 26 for some kind of bonus pick, then agreed to change the deal to 2 5th round picks. Ballpark fair trade. I love getting Chandler so I think the trade worked out great.
Thanks!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings give Miami UDFA Edge Rusher Zach McCloud $250K guarantee.

Summary:
Zach McCloud projects to be a developmental edge prospect at the next level. He wins off the edge with athletic ability, long arms, and physical toughness. He struggles to process run concepts and has some terrible tape as an off ball linebacker. Way too many false steps and unnecessary movement. Will make an impact on special teams.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:48 pm Vikings give Miami UDFA Edge Rusher Zach McCloud $250K guarantee.
Geez either the market for UDFA's has gone way up or we're spending money like drunk sailors on leave. I hope some of these guys stick on ST or practice squad, but I doubt many will. Or we're about to have a huge roster turnover...
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:09 pm
Demi wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:06 pm

Spielman 2.0, with a spreadsheet.
Speak a lot, say nothing.
At least Kweesi has some numbers somewhere to justify whatever he does. Whether it works out or not.
Don't get me started on KOC. (Childress 2.0)
Boy I missed your negativity :lol:
Not sure why.
The front office and coaching should have more than made up for it in the meantime...
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

If anyone that does not know, the Vikings do not have Tre Turner anymore, he went to the Raiders because the Raiders offered him $40,000 while Vikings offered him $2,500 :wallbang:
Last edited by VikingsFan84 on Sun May 01, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 pm In Kwesi's post draft interview he addressed the issue of trading within the division very well IMO.
He said you have to consider the player your opponent is going to get and that you will have to play against him twice every season, but since they can trade with someone else to get that same player your only way to stop it is by picking that player yourself. If you're not willing to do that then you might as well consider what your own team can get with the assets and how they are going to have to play against him or them twice a year.
Or you realize the best deal they got was what you gave them. If it wasn't for you accepting the deal, they likely wouldn't have had a chance at the player at all, whether you selected them or not. Which is why they were willing to make the trade in the first place.

You know another way to stop them from getting that player? Other than drafting said player. Draft the top player on your board. And let another team draft the player the team in your division is trying to trade up to get.

As if not accepting the trade means another team is going to take whatever trade is offered and they're going to end up with the player anyway. What kind of backwards nonsense....

"If we didn't take the trade, or the player, they were guaranteed to end up with them anyway!" :rofl:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Demi wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:38 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 pm In Kwesi's post draft interview he addressed the issue of trading within the division very well IMO.
He said you have to consider the player your opponent is going to get and that you will have to play against him twice every season, but since they can trade with someone else to get that same player your only way to stop it is by picking that player yourself. If you're not willing to do that then you might as well consider what your own team can get with the assets and how they are going to have to play against him or them twice a year.
Or you realize the best deal they got was what you gave them. If it wasn't for you accepting the deal, they likely wouldn't have had a chance at the player at all, whether you selected them or not. Which is why they were willing to make the trade in the first place.

You know another way to stop them from getting that player? Other than drafting said player. Draft the top player on your board. And let another team draft the player the team in your division is trying to trade up to get.

As if not accepting the trade means another team is going to take whatever trade is offered and they're going to end up with the player anyway. What kind of backwards nonsense....

"If we didn't take the trade, or the player, they were guaranteed to end up with them anyway!" :rofl:
I see what people mean about missing your negativity. The Pukers were offering 2 2nd round picks for a 2nd round pick. That's unheard of even if the one is early and the two are late. I am 99% confident that if we hadn't accepted the deal the next team in line would have. Not nonsense at all. We took advantage of their desperation. It was wonderful. They got Moritz Boehringer 2.0.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Draft threads are maybe my favorite. I get the opinions. I have picks I personally like and others I don't. But I have seen way too many athletes over the years perform the exact opposite of how the majority of fans thought they would perform. I've seen 1st, 2nd and 3rd round busts by "can't miss" players. I've seen too many 5th, 6th 7th and UDFA players make a team, perform very well, and have great success.

I'm part of a fun board for Montana State and while there is always this type of talk around the signing period, who sucks, who's going to be a stud etc.....there isn't much. Instead, there is a great thread where we analyze the recruits 3 years later. It's pretty fascinating, and very similar to the talk we see here. Guys that everyone thought we "stole" from the FBS at the time that isn't even on the roster. Guys who "weren't worth a scholarship" in 2019 and now is one of our best players. Happens all the time.

But from an entertainment standpoint, these draft threads are always my favorite. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Draft related and interesting. The Ravens had 6 picks in round 4. I've never seen that many picks in one round by one team. They are a team that likes size on the OL and picked a monster from the university of Minn Daniel Faalele, 6 feet 8, 384 pounds, 35 3/8 arms. I bet he blocks a few FG attempts. His reach is close to 10 feet without jumping. That will mess with a kickers head. I'm sure there will be a few pop up kicks that travel 5 yards. Lucky for our kicker we don't play them. He would over correct and hit the snapper in the arse. Round 4 isn't great but it's not totally useless like round 7.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am
IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:51 pm I stood up for Kwesi and the new regime. However, we continue to make poor draft picks. I am totally underwhelmed by the players taken, in general. I feel that Kwesi did a very good job of trading, but I now view our scouts as the problem.
Why do we always miss and have poor depth? The scouts are the same from the previous regime, I believe.

Imo, very poor drafting today !
What pissed me off the most with this draft is trading down. The cream is at the top not the bottom. We need some top talented players. Top talent make others around them better because they get the attention. I thought the traderdown train was stopped. We just got more comfortable in the same seat. I hate trading away from the talent. Traderdown Kwesi. I can see next year already. Sitting at 14 and trading down to 28 for nothing and not getting the top player at the position. Can't build a team like that.
You’re making a generalization that doesn’t apply to this draft, in the opinions of many. They say the draft lacked upper-crust talent

That means the 12th pick this year isn’t as valuable as the 12th pick in past drafts. This is exactly why almost nobody uses the Jimmy Johnson value chart anymore. Hell, the Cowboys don’t even use it.

Look, it’s obvious you have a man crush on Kyle Hamilton, much like you did last year with Mac Jones. I suppose that’s fine, but I’ll go out on a limb here and say that Lewis Cine will be every bit as good a player as Hamilton, if not better. He was the defensive MVP on a historic national championship defense, and his measurables are demonstrably better. Meanwhile, Andrew Booth may very well be the steal of the draft, a guy with first-round talent that we got at 42. And a totally under-the-radar pick is Akayleb Evans from Missouri at 118. The kid is a good player. Go out to YouTube and watch his tape.

As I’ve mentioned before, the Vikings felt the real value in this draft was in picks 25-75. They drafted four players in that range. Kwesi did exactly what he set out to do. As is the case every year, we won’t know if this will be a good draft or a bad one until we see these guys on the field.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:40 pm
Demi wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:38 pm

I see what people mean about missing your negativity. The Pukers were offering 2 2nd round picks for a 2nd round pick. That's unheard of even if the one is early and the two are late. I am 99% confident that if we hadn't accepted the deal the next team in line would have. Not nonsense at all. We took advantage of their desperation. It was wonderful. They got Moritz Boehringer 2.0.
What I think is funny is this. Viking fans complaining about the packers trade, we didn’t get enough, I read packer fans were peeved they gave up to much.

No one knows how this draft will pan out. Maybe the worst draft ever. Maybe the best draft ever, or somewhere in between.

I used this scenario a few times. Would anyone use a first round pick on John Randle if they New. How high would he have gone.. Where would Thielen have gone if? There are Warner, Sherman, how many would have gone late rounds if they knew. These are just a few

All in all we have to hope we find those gems. Not the couches, Underwood’s, manzells,. Not those highly over valued players that bust, again just named a few...

Hope for the gems, we will know more the end of the yr or 2-3 down the road,..good or bad
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:33 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:47 am
What pissed me off the most with this draft is trading down. The cream is at the top not the bottom. We need some top talented players. Top talent make others around them better because they get the attention. I thought the traderdown train was stopped. We just got more comfortable in the same seat. I hate trading away from the talent. Traderdown Kwesi. I can see next year already. Sitting at 14 and trading down to 28 for nothing and not getting the top player at the position. Can't build a team like that.
You’re making a generalization that doesn’t apply to this draft, in the opinions of many. They say the draft lacked upper-crust talent

That means the 12th pick this year isn’t as valuable as the 12th pick in past drafts. This is exactly why almost nobody uses the Jimmy Johnson value chart anymore. Hell, the Cowboys don’t even use it.

Look, it’s obvious you have a man crush on Kyle Hamilton, much like you did last year with Mac Jones. I suppose that’s fine, but I’ll go out on a limb here and say that Lewis Cine will be every bit as good a player as Hamilton, if not better. He was the defensive MVP on a historic national championship defense, and his measurables are demonstrably better. Meanwhile, Andrew Booth may very well be the steal of the draft, a guy with first-round talent that we got at 42. And a totally under-the-radar pick is Akayleb Evans from Missouri at 118. The kid is a good player. Go out to YouTube and watch his tape.

As I’ve mentioned before, the Vikings felt the real value in this draft was in picks 25-75. They drafted four players in that range. Kwesi did exactly what he set out to do. As is the case every year, we won’t know if this will be a good draft or a bad one until we see these guys on the field.
My generalization of not trading away from the top talent fits in any draft. This draft is considered a weak class overall which IMO makes getting later picks less attractive than a normal draft. Of course like always some late picks will be day 1 starters/contributors and some top 10 picks that won't be very good. The Lions wanted to move up for that WR they picked and the top guys were flying off the board quickly including my top guy Olave. You make them pay a steep price because there was no chance for there guy falling to 32. Cine could be the best S in this draft. I don't see it because he's a limited ball athlete which goes beyond a 40 yard dash time. Anticipation and recognition are key for being a ball athlete. Hamilton sees the entire field which can't be measured and has great anticipation which also can't be measured. Time will tell if Kwesi trade down was a smart move.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:56 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:33 pm

My generalization of not trading away from the top talent fits in any draft. This draft is considered a weak class overall which IMO makes getting later picks less attractive than a normal draft. Of course like always some late picks will be day 1 starters/contributors and some top 10 picks that won't be very good. The Lions wanted to move up for that WR they picked and the top guys were flying off the board quickly including my top guy Olave. You make them pay a steep price because there was no chance for there guy falling to 32. Cine could be the best S in this draft. I don't see it because he's a limited ball athlete which goes beyond a 40 yard dash time. Anticipation and recognition are key for being a ball athlete. Hamilton sees the entire field which can't be measured and has great anticipation which also can't be measured. Time will tell if Kwesi trade down was a smart move.
Gonna disagree here, and in a big way.

First of all, it’s not that the draft lacked talent. It’s that it lacked the extreme top-of-the-board talent that other drafts have featured. There was a lot of debate at who the top 5 would be, and anybody who says they got them all right is lying. Two weeks ago, 2/3 of the mocks had Stingley going to the Vikings. He didn’t make it out of the top 5. Meanwhile Hamilton was mocked as high as 2 … he fell to 14. Instead of blasting the Vikings for failing to draft a “sure thing,” maybe we all should be asking why he fell so far in the first place.

And while everybody moans about Williams going to Detroit, they overlook the fact that the rate of full recovery for WRs who tear ACLs is actually quite low.

In a deep draft without super top-end talent, your best bet is to acquire lots of picks in a range where there are still good players. Kwesi did that, with four picks between 32 and 66.

Obviously it remains to be seen whether the players the Vikings drafted will be any good. But I can’t fault the team for loading up on players in rounds 2 and 3 of a deep draft that lacked high-end talent.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:17 am
CharVike wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:56 am
Gonna disagree here, and in a big way.

First of all, it’s not that the draft lacked talent. It’s that it lacked the extreme top-of-the-board talent that other drafts have featured. There was a lot of debate at who the top 5 would be, and anybody who says they got them all right is lying. Two weeks ago, 2/3 of the mocks had Stingley going to the Vikings. He didn’t make it out of the top 5. Meanwhile Hamilton was mocked as high as 2 … he fell to 14. Instead of blasting the Vikings for failing to draft a “sure thing,” maybe we all should be asking why he fell so far in the first place.

And while everybody moans about Williams going to Detroit, they overlook the fact that the rate of full recovery for WRs who tear ACLs is actually quite low.

In a deep draft without super top-end talent, your best bet is to acquire lots of picks in a range where there are still good players. Kwesi did that, with four picks between 32 and 66.

Obviously it remains to be seen whether the players the Vikings drafted will be any good. But I can’t fault the team for loading up on players in rounds 2 and 3 of a deep draft that lacked high-end talent.
Mocking a safety at 2 is a big time stretch. I'm not looking it up but I highly doubt that ever happened. The position doesn't fit in the draft slot suggested. Hamilton can come up and cover guys. That's a huge advantage. One reason he fell to 14 is Kewsi didn't like him otherwise 12 would have been the slot. The Ravens wasted no time. I'm not moaning about Williams the Lions can have him. I'm moaning about getting very little if anything in return. Especially when there was an early run on WR. Williams was the last man standing. We had them. Make them pay the piper. I still feel we screwed up in round one again. We could have selected a much better prospect at 12 than any guy we could have at 32. No more than that. I'm so tired of this trading down BS. Why do you think we have a shallow roster and no all pros? Bad player selection is part of it but moving away from the talent is a bigger part. Moving away doesn't help the selection process at all.