Draft Day thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Day thread

Post by VikingLord »

I have yet to see anyone outside the Vikings say the Vikings got fair value in the deal. Vikings moved down 20 spots in the 1st round to move up 12 spots in the 2nd round and the Lions essentially paid an early 3rd round pick for the privilege. Should not have given up #46 in the deal.

As far as the player the Vikings took at #32, Cine is good value, although I don't think he's ever going to be a ball hawk at the position.

As far as the position itself is concerned, I don't think it was an area of immediate need for the Vikings.

Stepping back to assess the new Vikings GM in comparison to the old Vikings GM, he strikes me as very similar in mentality, although I think Spielman would have gotten #32, #34, and the third rounder and not given up the Vikings 2nd rounder in the deal. But the core philosophy on display is the same - more picks = more chances = better results.

Merry-Go-Round, meet Vikings fans. Vikings fans, meet Merry-Go-Round...
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:53 pm I have yet to see anyone outside the Vikings say the Vikings got fair value in the deal. Vikings moved down 20 spots in the 1st round to move up 12 spots in the 2nd round and the Lions essentially paid an early 3rd round pick for the privilege. Should not have given up #46 in the deal.

As far as the player the Vikings took at #32, Cine is good value, although I don't think he's ever going to be a ball hawk at the position.

As far as the position itself is concerned, I don't think it was an area of immediate need for the Vikings.

Stepping back to assess the new Vikings GM in comparison to the old Vikings GM, he strikes me as very similar in mentality, although I think Spielman would have gotten #32, #34, and the third rounder and not given up the Vikings 2nd rounder in the deal. But the core philosophy on display is the same - more picks = more chances = better results.

It is an immediate need, Vikings do not have anyone good next to Harrison
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:45 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:34 pm
No way in hell do I buy that the talent in the middle of the first round to the middle of the 2nd round is flat or very similar. It's not the way it works. It works that way in the 5-6th round perhaps.
If Seattle offered 40 and 41 for 32 IMO we should have taken it. No guts no glory.
You seem to have a closed mind on the matter, so I won't continue to discuss it with you beyond this point: you have to ask yourself why there were no less than 9 trades for teams that held picks 11-27 last night? Those teams were fine with moving back or even entirely letting go of those assets. My guess is that's a record number of trades, and I think it indicates the point I'm making.
The top of the draft is always where there is a bigger drop off from pick to pick. If there wasn't why would there have been that record number of teams wanting to trade up into those higher picks. It works both ways.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:28 pm
allday1991 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:25 am

So of our first round picks the only time we picked in the top 10 is when the player turned out? Almost like the talent is better at the higher end of the draft.
What? There were eight 1st round picks in the span. 1 out of 8 is 12.5%. There were three 3rd round picks in that span. Of which 1 hit. That's 25% hit rate.

We can agree that 1st round picks are higher than 3rd round picks, right?
Agreed, I see your point. I think I’m just to jaded to see anything positive right now, I don’t want to make this situation worse, I’ll cya guys closers to game #1 take care everyone.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:55 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:53 pm I have yet to see anyone outside the Vikings say the Vikings got fair value in the deal. Vikings moved down 20 spots in the 1st round to move up 12 spots in the 2nd round and the Lions essentially paid an early 3rd round pick for the privilege. Should not have given up #46 in the deal.

It was a somewhat need. Most people considered CB to be a bigger need. I like Cine, but most had him as a 2nd round pick. The consensus is not that we got a steal.
Rick Spielman traded back last year not nearly as far and got two 3rd round picks thrown in without giving up a 2nd round pick.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:01 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:45 pm

You seem to have a closed mind on the matter, so I won't continue to discuss it with you beyond this point: you have to ask yourself why there were no less than 9 trades for teams that held picks 11-27 last night? Those teams were fine with moving back or even entirely letting go of those assets. My guess is that's a record number of trades, and I think it indicates the point I'm making.
The top of the draft is always where there is a bigger drop off from pick to pick. If there wasn't why would there have been that record number of teams wanting to trade up into those higher picks. It works both ways.
This year, the very top (8 or so) was perceived to be elite. After that it was perceived to be a plateau for the next 30 players.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

I think Vikings will draft Kyler Gordon at #34
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:38 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:01 pm
This year, the very top (8 or so) was perceived to be elite. After that it was perceived to be a plateau for the next 30 players.
Not according to the fans of Williams, Hamilton and Davis. I didn't hear this plateau talk leading up to the draft.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Twenty spots

12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32

TWENTY!!!
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

While I don't like the trade, I think what hurt a lot is the lack of QB's this year. People will overpay (via trade) for QB's moreso than other positions. Especially safety. Kwesi probably sees the most value in the 25-75 tier and is trying to accumulate picks. It's clear he really wanted to trade back even if at lower value. Whether this pans out or not, we'll see.

My biggest gripe with Rick wasn't that he would trade down but that he would give up a lot of these higher round picks for a bundle of late round picks, which almost never work out. I can kinda get behind the thought process that there's not a whole lot of differentiation between a 1st-3rd rounder or a "tier 1" and "tier 2" player. I just hope Kwesi doesn't go nuts today and tomorrow and end up with 10 picks, half of which don't even make it past training camp like Spielman.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:55 pm

I thought Bynum played very well last year, and from what I've heard about him during the offseason, he had every intent of winning the starting job this year. Not sure if Cine will be able to bump him out if Bynum gets a fair shake in training camp.

I do think there were position groups of greater immediate need, though, with cornerback being the most pressing. Trent McDuffie would have been good value at #12, albeit a little high for him, but still, not a reach there.

Will be interesting to see what the Vikings do at #34 assuming they keep that choice.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:39 pm My biggest gripe with Rick wasn't that he would trade down but that he would give up a lot of these higher round picks for a bundle of late round picks, which almost never work out. I can kinda get behind the thought process that there's not a whole lot of differentiation between a 1st-3rd rounder or a "tier 1" and "tier 2" player. I just hope Kwesi doesn't go nuts today and tomorrow and end up with 10 picks, half of which don't even make it past training camp like Spielman.
If he does keep trading, I hope he at least gets some objective value in return.

I'm also not sure why the Wilfs dumped Spielman. KAM's player personnel moves thus far have been, to put it kindly, underwhelming.

Maybe KOC will make a big difference as head coach, but it's hard to objectively look at the Vikings right now and see reason to expect different results on the field this coming season. It's pretty much the same team from last year with a new head coach.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm
S197 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:39 pm My biggest gripe with Rick wasn't that he would trade down but that he would give up a lot of these higher round picks for a bundle of late round picks, which almost never work out. I can kinda get behind the thought process that there's not a whole lot of differentiation between a 1st-3rd rounder or a "tier 1" and "tier 2" player. I just hope Kwesi doesn't go nuts today and tomorrow and end up with 10 picks, half of which don't even make it past training camp like Spielman.
If he does keep trading, I hope he at least gets some objective value in return.

I'm also not sure why the Wilfs dumped Spielman. KAM's player personnel moves thus far have been, to put it kindly, underwhelming.

Maybe KOC will make a big difference as head coach, but it's hard to objectively look at the Vikings right now and see reason to expect different results on the field this coming season. It's pretty much the same team from last year with a new head coach.
The Wilfs dumped Speilman because he keeps failing to address the offensive line
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:25 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm

The Wilfs dumped Speilman because he keeps failing to address the offensive line
So you believe the Wilfs want to address offensive line?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

fiestavike wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:49 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:25 pm

So you believe the Wilfs want to address offensive line?
Yeah since the offensive line have sucked for a decade