Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:32 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:32 pm

And yet, Cousins is a stiff. :confused:
I don't care if he's a stiff as long as he's one of the 10 best QBs in the world.
It appears something might be wrong with your metric.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings "a good quarterback on a cheaper contract away from being dangerous"

Post by VikingsVictorious »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:40 pm
I don't care if he's a stiff as long as he's one of the 10 best QBs in the world.
Ive heard anywhere from the 12th to 14th QB in the NFL. His record against winning teams or in important game to get into the playoffs. Or his choking and being afraid of a rush where hes going to get hit, he's about at 31st. Isnt it fun making things up or just using certain stats and forgetting others. Do you remember or record the past 2 seasons from the one and only cousins? Not too are they. Or when they lose irs the D's fault and when they win its Kirks grit. :wallbang:
Pretty accurate.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:37 am
Nothing wrong and the Vikings management obviously agrees with me.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Man. I've been a part of this board for about 15 years or so I think. In my memory, I don't think I can recall a Viking as polarizing for the fans as Kirk Cousins. I don't think we could have a thread about a backup kicker or the rising price of concessions without it turning into a Kirk Cousins pissing match. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:54 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:40 pm

Ive heard anywhere from the 12th to 14th QB in the NFL. His record against winning teams or in important game to get into the playoffs. Or his choking and being afraid of a rush where hes going to get hit, he's about at 31st. Isnt it fun making things up or just using certain stats and forgetting others. Do you remember or record the past 2 seasons from the one and only cousins? Not too are they. Or when they lose irs the D's fault and when they win its Kirks grit. :wallbang:
Pretty accurate.
You are an amazing funny guy.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:10 am Man. I've been a part of this board for about 15 years or so I think. In my memory, I don't think I can recall a Viking as polarizing for the fans as Kirk Cousins. I don't think we could have a thread about a backup kicker or the rising price of concessions without it turning into a Kirk Cousins pissing match. :lol:
Christian Ponder.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:40 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:54 am
Pretty accurate.
You are an amazing funny guy.
Thank you. I appreciate it. :D :v): :welcome
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:10 am Man. I've been a part of this board for about 15 years or so I think. In my memory, I don't think I can recall a Viking as polarizing for the fans as Kirk Cousins. I don't think we could have a thread about a backup kicker or the rising price of concessions without it turning into a Kirk Cousins pissing match. :lol:
Lol facts.

What kills me is all the fans on social media and such whining about how we're not going after Deshaun Watson.

And what is the main gripe for those fans with the Vikings right now? Kirk Cousins, his contract and how we cant build a team around that contract.

Ok so to those same people, Kirk Cousins is costing us one thing right now. Money. Not big name players on our roster and not any draft picks. Houston is asking for 3+ first round picks plus multiple draft picks and players for Watson. And by the looks of it, they are going to get it from a sucker out there.

So tell me this, how can you "not build a team around Cousins because of his contract" but expect to build a team around Watson when he will cost you:

2022 1st round pick
2023 1st round pick
2024 1st round pick
Lets say a 2022 2nd round pick
Eric Kendricks
Adam Thielen
......AND COST YOU $40 MILLION A YEAR????!!!!

He will cost you 1.) Your future draft picks for the next 3 years. 2.) At least two solid veterans on your roster. 3.) And $40 million per year which limits you in free agency even more than Cousins does.

So in turn, I take Cousins on this team any day of the week and twice on Sundays over Watson after seeing their asking price. Am I not the only one that sees it this way?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Been a fan for 40+, and I've never seen such extremes over one guy. It's incredible.

I'm somewhere in the middle regarding Cousins. I think he is a very solid QB, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to win it all. I would have been happy trading him, but management has decided to roll with him, so I'm hopeful that he can flourish under KOC. That part is at least intriguing for me... but time will tell.

IMO, last year was the best we've seen Cousins in close, winnable games, and he was let down a lot by the defense. It's not out of the realm that he takes another step forward and our defense improves. He would need to overcome a history of not always shining in key moments. Certainly not all his doing, but he could improve without a doubt. I'm not a huge believer in using QB win/loss records as an indicator of how good a QB is in the short term, but at some point you have to acknowledge that his overall .500 record means something. Doesn't mean he can't catch lightning in a bottle though, but that's built on hope, not on past results.

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic at all.... but I don't think it's fair to call it a complete failure before the season starts either. I just think there are some unknowns yet.
Damian
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Dames wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:56 am
Been a fan for 40+, and I've never seen such extremes over one guy. It's incredible.

I'm somewhere in the middle regarding Cousins. I think he is a very solid QB, but I'm not convinced he has what it takes to win it all. I would have been happy trading him, but management has decided to roll with him, so I'm hopeful that he can flourish under KOC. That part is at least intriguing for me... but time will tell.

IMO, last year was the best we've seen Cousins in close, winnable games, and he was let down a lot by the defense. It's not out of the realm that he takes another step forward and our defense improves. He would need to overcome a history of not always shining in key moments. Certainly not all his doing, but he could improve without a doubt. I'm not a huge believer in using QB win/loss records as an indicator of how good a QB is in the short term, but at some point you have to acknowledge that his overall .500 record means something. Doesn't mean he can't catch lightning in a bottle though, but that's built on hope, not on past results.

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic at all.... but I don't think it's fair to call it a complete failure before the season starts either. I just think there are some unknowns yet.
These are my feelings exactly. Not as bad as some say, not as good as others say.

Like you, I think he's pretty good. He did enough to win games last season. But his record as QB is what it is. He's a .500 QB. I'm not convinced he's got what it takes to win important playoff games. But obviously I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Cautiously optimistic about what I'll see from him this season with new leadership. :govikes:
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:44 am
Christian Ponder.
What's funny is Ponder actually lead us into the playoffs. I had forgotten all about that. We were 3-13 the year before. That has to be one of the greatest turnarounds in NFL history. Then we got to see Joe Webb in the playoffs and that game ended any possibility of ever being a QB. 36% completion rate. That's when Ponder was our hero. Didn't last long. I didn't mean a pissing match just interesting stuff.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:55 am
fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:37 am

Nothing wrong and the Vikings management obviously agrees with me.
I'll grant you that. You and Vikings management are on the same page. Given the Vikings track record, you can determine if that is a mark in favor or against your position.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:52 am
Lol facts.

What kills me is all the fans on social media and such whining about how we're not going after Deshaun Watson.

And what is the main gripe for those fans with the Vikings right now? Kirk Cousins, his contract and how we cant build a team around that contract.

... (cropped for length because PHP likes to talk :lol:)...

So in turn, I take Cousins on this team any day of the week and twice on Sundays over Watson after seeing their asking price. Am I not the only one that sees it this way?
I was not on board for going after Watson either. Talented player but way too much baggage. Not guilty... but so much smoke surrounding him that's it's a bit hard to trust there is no fire, and there are no doubt going to be civil lawsuits coming, and there could easily be a suspension coming. That said, in a vacuum, Watson would most likely be a big improvement over Cousins on the field. Yes, the cap issue would be worse though, and that is certainly something to consider.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Cliff wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:44 am
Christian Ponder.
I considered bringing him up as well... but maybe I'm getting old but I don't recall too many actual supporters of his. I recall the overall consensus being pretty negative. I remember everyone clamoring for the backup, ANY backup, pretty much every year. Except maybe the 2012 season, thanks to AD.
Damian
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Dames wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:11 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:52 am

Lol facts.

... (cropped for length because PHP likes to talk :lol:)...

I was not on board for going after Watson either. Talented player but way too much baggage. Not guilty... but so much smoke surrounding him that's it's a bit hard to trust there is no fire, and there are no doubt going to be civil lawsuits coming, and there could easily be a suspension coming. That said, in a vacuum, Watson would most likely be a big improvement over Cousins on the field. Yes, the cap issue would be worse though, and that is certainly something to consider.
The ability of a QB to make some off schedule plays is really a requirement for a team to contend today. Being able to convert in a situation like that is almost equivalent to picking up a turnover from the other team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins