2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by VikingsVictorious »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm VV seemed in agreement.
What did I seem in agreement with?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Top available FA list
I know $$ is tight but I wonder if Rick is talking to anyone on this list to provide some veteran insurance since we have so many young players we are depending on for next year. CB, DE, G, etc

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-n ... ents-list/
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:30 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/17 ... ta-vikings

Harris signs tender
Good news. Does this take an extension off the table for now?
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:33 pm
VikingPaul73 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:30 pm https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/5/17 ... ta-vikings

Harris signs tender
Good news. Does this take an extension off the table for now?
Good question. This was one sentence within his instagram post. My guess is they are still trying to work out a long term deal, but who knows? Maybe they will table talks until February, but hopefully they're talking even at this moment.
I will let my agents and the Vikings work towards long term certainty in Minnesota, but I am excited to be back for the 2020 season.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I still think Harris will be traded next year
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The plan could be to move on from Smith in a couple years. All the corners are on rookie contracts so you can pay more for safeties right now.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Harris has developed into a ballhawk and a great all around defender. I'm hoping they can lock him up for the next 4 or 5 years.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I love Anthony Harris, I hope he signs long term...most of the corners we have won't get paid long term for a bit.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm The plan could be to move on from Smith in a couple years. All the corners are on rookie contracts so you can pay more for safeties right now.
Could be, but I just don't think it makes sense to give a big contract to a S who is a back half S, or to a S who is a box S. The guys worthy of big contracts are the rare guys who can do both. I think Harris buys the team a year to get a young guy ready to take his place on a rookie deal unless they somehow find a trade partner.

Rashod Hill is another guy I could see being traded. I was surprised nobody made a run at him. He's been competent in spot duty but I think he'll be buried on our depth chart, potentially even behind Udoh if they like what they see in him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 am
S197 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm The plan could be to move on from Smith in a couple years. All the corners are on rookie contracts so you can pay more for safeties right now.
Could be, but I just don't think it makes sense to give a big contract to a S who is a back half S, or to a S who is a box S. The guys worthy of big contracts are the rare guys who can do both. I think Harris buys the team a year to get a young guy ready to take his place on a rookie deal unless they somehow find a trade partner.

Rashod Hill is another guy I could see being traded. I was surprised nobody made a run at him. He's been competent in spot duty but I think he'll be buried on our depth chart, potentially even behind Udoh if they like what they see in him.
Why would anyone trade for Rashod who is a back up?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 am

Because there is a lack of competent T depth and he is a competent T, because he is cheap, because he could be had for a late round pick, and because he could be available if he is behind O'neil, Reiff, Cleveland and Udoh...also because somebody could get injured.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The Vikings traded Isidora, who was a backup, for a 7th last year.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 am

I once had high hopes for Isidora the explorer. I hope my high hopes for Bradbury, Samia, Udoh, Cleveland, Brandel and Hinton come to fruition. I'm not greedy just let half of those come through.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:30 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 am
I once had high hopes for Isidora the explorer. I hope my high hopes for Bradbury, Samia, Udoh, Cleveland, Brandel and Hinton come to fruition. I'm not greedy just let half of those come through.
If we get an offseason, I'll be fairly optimistic about this OL, 2nd year in the same system and time to replace some of the weaker links. I'd be especially excited for 2021 line play.

I hope it looks like Cleveland, Reiff, Bradbury, Samia and O'Neil
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins