2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by dkoby »

With all the activity on the roster, can anyone post or start a thread keeping track of the cap space?
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dkoby wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:54 am With all the activity on the roster, can anyone post or start a thread keeping track of the cap space?
Over the cap has it at $11,504,429

Harris is holding another $11,441,000. Hopefully they are able to trade him and be at about 23 million.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 am
dkoby wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:54 am With all the activity on the roster, can anyone post or start a thread keeping track of the cap space?

Harris is holding another $11,441,000. Hopefully they are able to trade him and be at about 23 million.
IMO $11 million on Harris is not a bad way to spend our cap space. If we can get a third round pick or better in a trade great, if not keep him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:11 am
fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 am

IMO $11 million on Harris is not a bad way to spend our cap space. If we can get a third round pick or better in a trade great, if not keep him.
Seems pretty short sighted to me. Why tie 11 million to this year only and wind up with nothing to show for it. The vikings need to decide if they are mortgaging the future for the now, or willing to make the sacrifices now for the future. The second course of action seems the far wiser to me.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:11 am
Seems pretty short sighted to me. Why tie 11 million to this year only and wind up with nothing to show for it. The vikings need to decide if they are mortgaging the future for the now, or willing to make the sacrifices now for the future. The second course of action seems the far wiser to me.
I wouldn't trade him for a $hit draft pick. My understanding is $11 million would be a good price for him. If we remove the franchise tag on him and he signs for the expected $14 million wouldn't that get us a 3rd round pick? What if we keep him this year and he signs with somebody else next year? Would we get the compensatory pick in 22. I'm not sure how it all works, but to just give him away for a late pick doesn't make sense. Please explain to me because there is probably something here I don't understand.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:23 pm
fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm

I wouldn't trade him for a $hit draft pick. My understanding is $11 million would be a good price for him. If we remove the franchise tag on him and he signs for the expected $14 million wouldn't that get us a 3rd round pick? What if we keep him this year and he signs with somebody else next year? Would we get the compensatory pick in 22. I'm not sure how it all works, but to just give him away for a late pick doesn't make sense. Please explain to me because there is probably something here I don't understand.
We need the cap space to do anything with our own guys, or we'll lose more of them next year. Giving 11 million to Harris this year, costs us players we will want to keep next year and/or FA retention or pick ups this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:23 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:23 pm

We need the cap space to do anything with our own guys, or we'll lose more of them next year. Giving 11 million to Harris this year, costs us players we will want to keep next year and/or FA retention or pick ups this year.
If you really think he is not worth the money and it could be spent much better elsewhere than remove the Franchise tag from him let somebody else sign him and collect a third round pick next year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:41 pm
fiestavike wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:23 pm

If you really think he is not worth the money and it could be spent much better elsewhere than remove the Franchise tag from him let somebody else sign him and collect a third round pick next year.
Not opposed to that idea, but they better do it soon or Harris will be pissed.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:41 pm

It's a business. You can't be overly concerned with somebody getting their undies in a bunch. Harris can sign the tender if he wants to call our bluff. We have our options and he has his.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Dan Bailey is back
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... dan-bailey

Up to $2M with incentives. Sounds good to me.

Apparently, the only guarantee in Bailey's deal is a $250K portion of his $1M base salary. He'll need to earn the rest.
Damian
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Dames wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm Dan Bailey is back

Apparently, the only guarantee in Bailey's deal is a $250K portion of his $1M base salary. He'll need to earn the rest.
That is crazy. Unless he hits all his incentives he will make less than the punter.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 am

It's a business. You can't be overly concerned with somebody getting their undies in a bunch. Harris can sign the tender if he wants to call our bluff. We have our options and he has his.
If you deny a guy getting his first chance at FA millions of dollars, it might not be good for your reputation among the other players in the league. I'm not saying thats the only thing to consider, but that it is a thing to consider. If they have no intention of keeping him, and merely want to add a pick while they shed his salary, they should probably make a deal pronto, or rescind the franchise tag and let him go.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:21 pm
Dames wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm Dan Bailey is back

That is crazy. Unless he hits all his incentives he will make less than the punter.
:lol: It does look strange.I'll bet most of the goals to hit $1M must be fairly easy to hit. Seems strange that he couldn't get a better deal. Maybe he didn't want to move again.
Damian
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 am
If you deny a guy getting his first chance at FA millions of dollars, it might not be good for your reputation among the other players in the league. I'm not saying thats the only thing to consider, but that it is a thing to consider. If they have no intention of keeping him, and merely want to add a pick while they shed his salary, they should probably make a deal pronto, or rescind the franchise tag and let him go.
I didn't say we shouldn't be concerned with that kind of stuff. I just said we shouldn't be overly concerned with that kind of stuff. Maybe it's a very fine line.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:31 pm
fiestavike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm

I didn't say we shouldn't be concerned with that kind of stuff. I just said we shouldn't be overly concerned with that kind of stuff. Maybe it's a very fine line.
Fair enough. It can be a dangerous game to franchise a guy in order to turn him into picks.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins