Once in Nineteen...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Once in Nineteen...

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 pm If the Vikings had an elite quarterback, they likely wouldn't be sporadic in playing in the postseason. Think New England would have been to 9 Super Bowls in 19 years without Tom Brady?

As for fans being divided, it will always be that way. Sustained success, while awesome, doesn't end discord. It simply creates another kind.

You're in Chicago. Look at the Cubs. In the first decade of this century, they made the playoffs 3 times ... fans became downright vitriolic. That's a far cry from how it was when they were the Lovable Losers. I remember being stationed at Great Lakes in 1980. I used to go to games in my uniform all the time. The Cubs couldn't have been a worse team, yet everybody loved them. I absolutely loved going to the games in those days. It was a party. Then along came 2003, and now Steve Bartman can't live in public because he got his hands on a foul ball that a dozen other people tried to catch and "cost" the Cubs a trip to the Series.

Fast forward to 2015. They have 5 winning seasons in a row, averaging 94 wins per season. They make the playoffs 4 times, the NLCS 3 times, and win the World Series in 2016, breaking a 108-year title drought. And what did they do? They got rid of their manager! Fans are terrible. They boo the players routinely. It's like being in Philly. And that's with a winning team. Do you honestly think Cubs fans are happier now than they were in 1980?

I've heard people on this board talk about "sustained success." Therein lies the issue. Winning is like money ... when you get some, you want more. It's never enough. And that, I believe, actually causes MORE discord than less. Look at Patriots fans. They're insufferable.

Look, I want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl as much as anyone. I bleed purple. I get defensive about my team's history because I was around for the 70s, when teams actually feared the Vikings and the media took them seriously. I want to be able to brag to Packer fans, just once in my life.

But people are people. They're never satisfied. Which means they'll always bicker.
Actually, yes. Maybe not 9. but 8. Brady is good, don't get me wrong. But he is not the sole reason they went and won. The Pats are a team. And play as a team. Brady is a cog in that team. That is all. Even if he has gone next year, whoever Belichick plugs in at QB will probably still win 11 games.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Raptorman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:14 pm If the Vikings had an elite quarterback, they likely wouldn't be sporadic in playing in the postseason. Think New England would have been to 9 Super Bowls in 19 years without Tom Brady?

As for fans being divided, it will always be that way. Sustained success, while awesome, doesn't end discord. It simply creates another kind.

You're in Chicago. Look at the Cubs. In the first decade of this century, they made the playoffs 3 times ... fans became downright vitriolic. That's a far cry from how it was when they were the Lovable Losers. I remember being stationed at Great Lakes in 1980. I used to go to games in my uniform all the time. The Cubs couldn't have been a worse team, yet everybody loved them. I absolutely loved going to the games in those days. It was a party. Then along came 2003, and now Steve Bartman can't live in public because he got his hands on a foul ball that a dozen other people tried to catch and "cost" the Cubs a trip to the Series.

Fast forward to 2015. They have 5 winning seasons in a row, averaging 94 wins per season. They make the playoffs 4 times, the NLCS 3 times, and win the World Series in 2016, breaking a 108-year title drought. And what did they do? They got rid of their manager! Fans are terrible. They boo the players routinely. It's like being in Philly. And that's with a winning team. Do you honestly think Cubs fans are happier now than they were in 1980?

I've heard people on this board talk about "sustained success." Therein lies the issue. Winning is like money ... when you get some, you want more. It's never enough. And that, I believe, actually causes MORE discord than less. Look at Patriots fans. They're insufferable.

Look, I want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl as much as anyone. I bleed purple. I get defensive about my team's history because I was around for the 70s, when teams actually feared the Vikings and the media took them seriously. I want to be able to brag to Packer fans, just once in my life.

But people are people. They're never satisfied. Which means they'll always bicker.
Actually, yes. Maybe not 9. but 8. Brady is good, don't get me wrong. But he is not the sole reason they went and won. The Pats are a team. And play as a team. Brady is a cog in that team. That is all. Even if he has gone next year, whoever Belichick plugs in at QB will probably still win 11 games.
Interesting theory. Do you think his rapid decline and the first round ousting, were just a coincidence this year? They had far and away the best defense in the NFL this season and probably the best defense Brady has ever played with, but didn't make it past WC weekend. It was the earliest ousting of the Pats since 2009, the only other season they didn't make it out of WC weekend.

I think you might be right about them winning 11 next season without Brady, that defense is going to be good again next year and their division will still be a cake walk, but I think the results in the playoffs are similar. I also think that if they don't replace Brady with...the next Brady, you will see a team that was in 9 of the last 20 SBs, turn into the Vikings.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:23 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:10 pmI know you're not naive. I just really believe that fans are going to grouse every bit as much, no matter the outcome.
As an experienced fan and grouser, I think you're probably right. :)
That being said, I'd certainly rather b!tch about a winner than a loser. :lol:
Same here. If the #### must continue, it would be nice to #### about how badly the Vikes are screwing up their chance to win a third Super Bowl in a row.
With the Cubs (and I'm a weird combination of Vikings fan and Cubs fan ... my Chicago time in the 80s is part of the reason, the other being that I live in Des Moines, where the Iowa Cubs play) I just see an overall less joyful experience at the ballpark. There's a ton of tension. It's like Cub fans believe every year should be 2016. I have literally seen them boo the heck out of Javier Baez for chasing a slider to strike out, then yell "Ja-vy, Ja-vy" or "M-V-P" and make him take a curtain call a half hour later when he hits one in the seats. Dave Kingman did the same thing in the '70s and '80s, but nobody booed. It's just gotten ... well, tense. Did I love them winning the WS in '16? Absolutely. But it's not as fun anymore. Obviously that's just my view.
That's probably accurate. I think a lot of fans had become so accustomed to the team never really having a chance that they didn't feel the stakes were any higher than just having fun at Wrigley for a day.

That Bartman stuff was ugly... and nuts.
I can say this. If the Vikings ever hoist that trophy in my lifetime, my own personal celebration will be 1000 times that of the Cubs winning the series. If I'm still working (I hope to retire in about 2 years, so kind of doubtful) I don't think they'll see me in the office for at least a week. Heck, I already had (sort of) permission from the wife in 2017 to buy Super Bowl tickets, no matter the cost, if they had beaten Philly. If nothing else, I'll be in Minneapolis for the parade. And I swear to almighty God, I'll be happy. After 51 years, I really just want one. If they win more, great. But I'll happily settle for one.
I understand! I've been waiting since '69 so I'd love to see them get just one and when they do, I'll be very happy to see it. :)

You'll relate to this: when the Chiefs won on Sunday, I told a friend I would be rooting for them in the Super Bowl because the 49ers have won so many and I certainly wasn't going to root for GB of they had won. Immediately after saying that, I was struck by a feeling of resentment because we both know what happened the last time KC won it all. I guess I'm still not quite over it. :) Maybe in another 50 years or so...
I'm not a Niners fan, nor a hater.

But I cannot, under any circumstance root for Kansas City in a Super Bowl. No matter how hard I try, I can't shake the image of that stupid NFL Films bit of that idiot Hank Stram strutting up and down the sideline like a freaking used car salesman, running his fat mouth, "Sixty-five toss power trap ... ha ha! ... I told you, boys ... Sixty-five toss power trap." Aaaaaaaggggghhhh! Damn it. Now I want to kick a freaking puppy!

And if they were to ever play Green Bay in the Super Bowl, I'm pretty sure I'd be rooting for armageddon.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:48 pm Well all I can give is my scenario. Like many of you I've been a Vikes die hard for so long. Was born in Oct of 64, so I am now 55. Dad started me out right away, and about 4 or 5 , whenever u really start understanding, I've been hardcore. We still have an old mimeograph paper ( is old guys will remember those pre copier days lol) from my 1st grade class, where as a side my wife was a part of so we have known each other forever. The teacher asked everyone what they wanted to be when they grew up. Right there in faded black ink is my answer " I want to play for and then own the Minnesota Vikings "
So I have never given up.
My signature says it all because I'm in a a little different situation. Heart disease runs in my moms side of the family and I didnt Escape it. I had my 1st heart attack playing softball at 25, and then my second one at 41. And I've had several other caths and angioplasties between those 2. Weird thing is both occurred on the same day.. June 26th. To make it even weirder, my daughter was actually born on that same day. So that's what I celebrate on that day. I am a believer that when it's you time to go its gonna happen then.
But man I just want to experience the Vikes winning a SB before I check out. My wife , mom and sister always hope we don't reach the SB cuz they see how stressed I get during playoff games. They fear I will drop over during the SB lol. My daughter is a die hard Vikes fan so shes with me. She gets it.
Also I dont have any tattoos, but I have one already designed that I've promised that I will get started on immediately the next day if we would win the SB.
Another reason my wife and mom don't want us to win the SB cuz they don't like tattoos. But in my wifes Defense, she has said that made that promise since high school so she wouldn't try and stop me and would just learn to live with it.
I promise you, if we would, in my lifetime, win the SB. I will be a satisfied man. Would I want to win another. Sure I would. But I can honestly, totally honestly say that if we get the one before I die, I will immediately order the Vikings SB winning pkg on TV, I will get that tattoo right away, and will really feel a fulfillment as far as that part of life goes. Then the next thing will be to be blessed with at least one grandchild. That would be the last victory.
Then when I do die, I already have it layed out as a celebration, not a sad affair. I will be in the casket and buried with Predator camo pants, if we win the SB , the SB shirt and commemorative game ball ( if not my fave old school Vikes shirt and another Vikings ball) a special camo Vikings hat, and my favorite old Mathews bow and the arrow and broadhead I killed my biggest buck with.
I have it all planned. It's a celebration. I just want that SB gear included lol.
Hey, it can happen.

I hope you get to see it and get that tattoo. You have a heck of a background story!

PS.) Just reading the words "mimeograph paper" brings back that great mimeograph scent. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:59 pmI'm not a Niners fan, nor a hater.

But I cannot, under any circumstance root for Kansas City in a Super Bowl. No matter how hard I try, I can't shake the image of that stupid NFL Films bit of that idiot Hank Stram strutting up and down the sideline like a freaking used car salesman, running his fat mouth, "Sixty-five toss power trap ... ha ha! ... I told you, boys ... Sixty-five toss power trap." Aaaaaaaggggghhhh! Damn it. Now I want to kick a freaking puppy!
:lol: I knew you'd understand.
And if they were to ever play Green Bay in the Super Bowl, I'm pretty sure I'd be rooting for armageddon.
:rofl:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 pm
Raptorman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm
Interesting theory. Do you think his rapid decline and the first round ousting, were just a coincidence this year? They had far and away the best defense in the NFL this season and probably the best defense Brady has ever played with, but didn't make it past WC weekend. It was the earliest ousting of the Pats since 2009, the only other season they didn't make it out of WC weekend.

I think you might be right about them winning 11 next season without Brady, that defense is going to be good again next year and their division will still be a cake walk, but I think the results in the playoffs are similar. I also think that if they don't replace Brady with...the next Brady, you will see a team that was in 9 of the last 20 SBs, turn into the Vikings.
Well, let's see. They played one winning team in the first 8 games. The Bills. Then against winning teams, they went 2-3. yes, they had a good defense, but it was off by who they played the first 8 games. Look at their record when Brady didn't play over the years. It's pretty easy to do. Plugin QB who doesn't make stupid mistakes and win 75% of your games. As long as Belichick can keep his defense to holding teams to 18 ppg or less they will be in the playoffs.

To put that in perspective. IF Cousins's defense had only given up 18 ppg during his career, he would be 64-24 instead of 44-42-2.(I know it's simplistic and there are other factors, but it's only for perspective. Not saying he really would be there, but.......ppg on defense makes a difference. How a QB plays can affect that number as well) So yes Brady is good. But he has had help along the way in a good defense.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think the division between fans is mainly because at the end of the day, the Vikings are by many accounts a highly polarized team. Take the stat about how we’re the first team to lose 40 playoff games. Depressing. But on the other hand, that stat means we’ve played in over 40+ playoff games!

In general the Vikings over whatever time period you’ve lived is likely to have a pretty good overall record. And yet we dwell with the likes of the Browns and Lions as franchises that have never won the Super Bowl. So whether you’re the eternal optimist or pessimist, the Vikings probably have a book full of stats and records that will back up your position.

The Vikings paradox is they both suck and are actually pretty damn good at the same time. Blair Walsh is maybe the most model Vikings player ever. Dude hits an NFL record 10 of 10 FGs from 50+. Scores more points his rookie season than Moss. But yet he shanks the most important 26 yard FG of his life and gets to a point where even PATs become a challenge. Was Walsh a great or terrible kicker? He was both.

And that’s really the root of the issue to me, there’s no quantifiable way to prove anything with this team. It’s all about perspective. Next season is like Walsh lining up for a 40-yard FG. You get this real uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach as you keep thinking, “this is going wide right...again.” But even as you say it, deep down you have a little bit of hope because you’ve seen that sonofabitch nail those 50 yarders like they were chip shots.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The most shocking thing to me is that us and the Lions are grouped together. Our downfall has been we never replaced Fran with a long term answer. But we have been in contention many times. They are the ultimate doormats. The year we had Farve was a great season. That dude could play. The 15-1 season was great to. But I knew that joke QB we had would eventually crack. He always did, We don't do the right thing with the QB position. We draft bum after bum in the 1st round. And other stupid things like trading whatever for that bum Jackson. I knew the guy sucked when they did it. That wasted years. I think we screwed up last year passing on Drew Lock. Even Cousins leaves alot to be desired. But he's not a stiff. Now we have a defensive HC and he can't build a defense. I can see whats going to happen. He'll go in with close to the same starting 11 and same get few turnover scheme and that will mean the same old BS. Waynes is out because there's no sense in creating the CAP for a guy that isn't much. It's not like he's listed on the early FA listings as a top CB. He's not at a starters level. Our focus needs to be on D. I don't see a thing in the early FA stuff. The best pass rusher is some stiff who had double digit sacks in 2016 and has done nothing since. We already have that on our team. I don't see any upgrades available. I guess there's a couple Gs but their current team don't want them for a reason. So it comes down to the draft. You won't change a team overnight via the draft. One player maybe. That's if your picking high and can get a guy like Bosa. We don't pick high enough. Like last year it will be a guy that needs to sit a season before they can play.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 am I think the division between fans is mainly because at the end of the day, the Vikings are by many accounts a highly polarized team. Take the stat about how we’re the first team to lose 40 playoff games. Depressing. But on the other hand, that stat means we’ve played in over 40+ playoff games!

In general the Vikings over whatever time period you’ve lived is likely to have a pretty good overall record. And yet we dwell with the likes of the Browns and Lions as franchises that have never won the Super Bowl. So whether you’re the eternal optimist or pessimist, the Vikings probably have a book full of stats and records that will back up your position.

The Vikings paradox is they both suck and are actually pretty damn good at the same time. Blair Walsh is maybe the most model Vikings player ever. Dude hits an NFL record 10 of 10 FGs from 50+. Scores more points his rookie season than Moss. But yet he shanks the most important 26 yard FG of his life and gets to a point where even PATs become a challenge. Was Walsh a great or terrible kicker? He was both.

And that’s really the root of the issue to me, there’s no quantifiable way to prove anything with this team. It’s all about perspective. Next season is like Walsh lining up for a 40-yard FG. You get this real uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach as you keep thinking, “this is going wide right...again.” But even as you say it, deep down you have a little bit of hope because you’ve seen that sonofabitch nail those 50 yarders like they were chip shots.
I agree. I think being competitive losers is the hardest thing for a fanbase to deal with. Winning is great. Losing is pretty easy. Getting close and falling short, over and over again, is really tough.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 am I think the division between fans is mainly because at the end of the day, the Vikings are by many accounts a highly polarized team. Take the stat about how we’re the first team to lose 40 playoff games. Depressing. But on the other hand, that stat means we’ve played in over 40+ playoff games!

You articulated the point I was trying to make about 1000 times better than I did. Thank you!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

See, this is where I think it's important to understand the distinction between Vikings fans of different eras.

I'm old enough to have lived through the 70s. Those were my teen years, my formative years. And believe me when I tell you, the Vikings were anything but losers in those days. They were truly feared across the league. Those late 60s, early 70s defenses were the 2000 Ravens long before the 2000 Ravens. Guys like Lonnie Warwick were so tough and mean they practically ate glass. And the media had great respect for them, which seems ridiculous today. Yes, they lost four Super Bowls, but they also WENT to four Super Bowls in 7 years. If they had won even one of those, history would talk about that time as a dynasty. Most of us who witnessed the '75 team are convinced they would have won the SB that year if not for the Hail Mary, as that was probably the best of a long run of great teams. So to a person like me, the Vikings are THAT organization. Not the one of the past 19 years that can't seem to get out of its own way.

I realize things are different now. But when people say the Vikings are competitive losers, guys like me go, "Hey wait a minute." Yes, it was a very long time ago, and I'm probably living in the past, but I'm fiercely proud of my team, based on those great years. I'm not saying younger fans are wrong to be frustrated. But when those my age speak out against the current organization, it's likely because we're comparing it to the way things were during the 70s. Just a different perspective, but the same outcome ... grumbling.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:40 pm I'm not certain that the difference can be attributed to the Cubs winning as much as it can be to the trajectory of society more generally over the last 20 years. I'm sure higher expectations don't help in any case.
You sound like an old man, but I totally agree with you :)

Damian
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Mothman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:48 pm Well all I can give is my scenario. Like many of you I've been a Vikes die hard for so long. Was born in Oct of 64, so I am now 55. Dad started me out right away, and about 4 or 5 , whenever u really start understanding, I've been hardcore. We still have an old mimeograph paper ( is old guys will remember those pre copier days lol) from my 1st grade class, where as a side my wife was a part of so we have known each other forever. The teacher asked everyone what they wanted to be when they grew up. Right there in faded black ink is my answer " I want to play for and then own the Minnesota Vikings "
So I have never given up.
My signature says it all because I'm in a a little different situation. Heart disease runs in my moms side of the family and I didnt Escape it. I had my 1st heart attack playing softball at 25, and then my second one at 41. And I've had several other caths and angioplasties between those 2. Weird thing is both occurred on the same day.. June 26th. To make it even weirder, my daughter was actually born on that same day. So that's what I celebrate on that day. I am a believer that when it's you time to go its gonna happen then.
But man I just want to experience the Vikes winning a SB before I check out. My wife , mom and sister always hope we don't reach the SB cuz they see how stressed I get during playoff games. They fear I will drop over during the SB lol. My daughter is a die hard Vikes fan so shes with me. She gets it.
Also I dont have any tattoos, but I have one already designed that I've promised that I will get started on immediately the next day if we would win the SB.
Another reason my wife and mom don't want us to win the SB cuz they don't like tattoos. But in my wifes Defense, she has said that made that promise since high school so she wouldn't try and stop me and would just learn to live with it.
I promise you, if we would, in my lifetime, win the SB. I will be a satisfied man. Would I want to win another. Sure I would. But I can honestly, totally honestly say that if we get the one before I die, I will immediately order the Vikings SB winning pkg on TV, I will get that tattoo right away, and will really feel a fulfillment as far as that part of life goes. Then the next thing will be to be blessed with at least one grandchild. That would be the last victory.
Then when I do die, I already have it layed out as a celebration, not a sad affair. I will be in the casket and buried with Predator camo pants, if we win the SB , the SB shirt and commemorative game ball ( if not my fave old school Vikes shirt and another Vikings ball) a special camo Vikings hat, and my favorite old Mathews bow and the arrow and broadhead I killed my biggest buck with.
I have it all planned. It's a celebration. I just want that SB gear included lol.
Hey, it can happen.

I hope you get to see it and get that tattoo. You have a heck of a background story!

PS.) Just reading the words "mimeograph paper" brings back that great mimeograph scent. :)
Thanks I really hope to be able to get that body ink cuz that will mean we r finally SB Champs.
Yes I have had quite the ride in life, but I'm still here and still physically able , so I am blessed and appreciate every day. My cardiologist said years ago you never would have survived the 1st one, so I'm blessed to live in a time where the technology could help.
Just need that SB win lol
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think part of the volatility in the Zimmer era is the fact that parity is a thing in the NFL. Look around the league and the only teams in the last 20 years that have had consistent success are those that possess that elite level passer. Every other one has ups and downs. Even teams with an elite passer are up and down in the playoffs in more recent history, the sole exception being Patriots and Steelers. Both the Saints and Packers have had several down years of late.

Also look no further than GB to see that even with that elite QB you are not guarrantee to win in the post season. We've seen the Packers routinely dissappoint in the post season year after year. Same with the Steelers and the Saints. I would even go so far to say that in recent history the Patriots success hasn't been as much about Brady as it has been about having the combo platter of Gronk, Edelman, and their RBs. With Gronk out of the Mix Brady was unable to elevate the offense as the mathcup challenges just ere not the same for a playoff ready defense. Brady gets a lot of accolades for his resume, many deserved, but he wasn't a top 5 passer in the NFL this year.

Also consider that the hated Packers won exactly as many playoff games as the Vikings this year and they had a far easier playoff experience before losing the in the same stadium the Vikings lost in. From a playoff perspective you might say our experiences were equal? WE didn't get dominated as badly by the 49ers either. There is a strong case to be made that LUCK was a huge factor in their season, the had by far the easier playoff path this year and a CAKE schedule.

larger point here is that the league changes and evolves and history isn't always directly relevant to the future. (Just ask the Cowboys and how their 1990s style teams doesn't even make the post season.)

Right now Mahomes is the new king. But look at what is around him. He has as a HC one of the two best offensive minds in football, a guy who can build an offense around him. He is also complimented by a great amount of speed with his weapons. Is Mahomes the same monster without the speed at WR? Or without his mobility? No. We also are seeing a very big comeback of the rushing game. Jimmy Garroppolo is no Mahomes, yet his team brings probably the best running attack in the NFL complimented by strong skill players at WR and TE. (But not much depth.)

Very different styles.

IMO, the NFL, despite it's issues, is having a bit of a rennaissance. We are getting away from the dynasties of the 90s and all HOF passers of the 2000s and 2010s. The 2020s seems to presenting different ways for teams to win and be elite. (Could the 49ers and Ravens be more different than the Chiefs and Packers?)

The Vikings are set on the course of the 49ers style of team. We have different strengths and different weaknesses. 49ers are better in the trenches. We have stronger skill players (other htan Kittle) and our defensive back 7 is superior.

What is right, what is wrong? I don't know.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

S197 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 am In general the Vikings over whatever time period you’ve lived is likely to have a pretty good overall record. And yet we dwell with the likes of the Browns and Lions as franchises that have never won the Super Bowl. So whether you’re the eternal optimist or pessimist, the Vikings probably have a book full of stats and records that will back up your position.

The Vikings paradox is they both suck and are actually pretty damn good at the same time.

And that’s really the root of the issue to me, there’s no quantifiable way to prove anything with this team. It’s all about perspective.
Your post absolutely nailed it. I'm not sure anyone outside of Vikings fans can truly understand how we feel. And even Vikings fans can't agree on how we should all feel. Hell, I can't even decide on how I should feel have the time.

I know several Lions fans, and they get frustrated too, but overall they generally just expect to fail (like Cubs fans used to), so they don't take anything very seriously.

Vikings fans always have that hope to succeed, almost every year. But Lucy always pulls the football.

Damian