Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Moves the Vikings should make for 2020

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm This might be really unpopular with some, but I think the Vikings will have the exact same line next year as this one. Elf might get replaced with Hill or a guy currently on the roster, but I could see them thinking the line is good enough and drafting almost all defense.
It's not hard to imagine that or at least a scenario in which they don't select an o-lineman until day 3. I think how they handle the DB positions will be a big factor. If they cut ties with Rhodes and don't re-sign Waynes, the odds that they draft a CB in R1 or R2 probably skyrocket because DB seems to be a high priority position for Zimmer. If Joseph and/or Griffen aren't returning, it's pretty easy to imagine them prioritizing defense over OL in that scenario too.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

My opinion, how far the team makes it does not matter if you are not living up to your potential. The defense has invested in so much talent that a guru like Zim should have this team playing way better. I believe a mediocre DC could have the defensive unit at the same level they were in 2019.

They need to draft a QB this year.

Do not extend Zim and Spielman, they need to prove they can fix this.

I hate to be doom and gloom but this team needs a change. We as fans should not be satisfied with this.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Dames wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:23 pmLast year they essentially gave Zim and Rick a 1-year extension. They made the playoffs, so it would be a shock if they are not here in 2020. But, the fact that they didn't extend them beyond 2020 says a lot, doesn't it?
Yes... or at least I find it significant.
I know, from the horses mouth, that the FO loves Zim. I was told that before the season started. What I don't know is whether or not this year changed anything. I guess reading between the lines is they may love him, but they probably weren't ready to go all in last year. There is some hesitation there, or why wouldn't they have given them both 5 more years?

IMHO, I don't think that Zim or Spielman have proven anything more this year. Together, they are good to very good, but it seems they are short of excellent. Whether it's one of them or both, I don't know. It's difficult because the Vikings are competitive most years. Multiple NFL teams can't say the same. But it is very frustrating that we can never go over the hump... EVER, even if the talent seems to be there. I don't know if changing the GM and/or coach would make it worse or better though.

It would not be a shock if extensions were given, but my stance is the same as last year. I just want them to ride it out and see what happens. I also don't want an extension for Cousins, let them all play for the contracts. But, that rarely happens, so I would guess that something is in the works for all 3. An extension doesn't exactly mean anyone is safe either, although it does lessen the chance
Exactly. As you indicated above, the nature of an extension can be telling. If they extend Zimmer and Spielman for one more year so that they don't have a lame duck coach or GM in 2020, that would say something quite different than a 5 year extension. The same basic thinking would apply to an extension for Cousins. the big question in any such deal would be the specifics of the agreement. Will the Wilfs leave themselves an out so they can replace HC, GM, QB or all 3 easily after 2020? Will the make a substantial commitment?

I think the coordinator situation complicates things. It makes this a more ideal time to make a change if they want to make a change. If they don't (which seems more probable), the team now faces a scenario in which the quality of coordinator they can attract may be tied to how much the team appears committed to the coach and GM. That might mean we see coordinators promoted from within the organization. I'm guessing the OC job is Gary Kubiak's if he wants it.
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm
I think the coordinator situation complicates things. It makes this a more ideal time to make a change if they want to make a change. If they don't (which seems more probable), the team now faces a scenario in which the quality of coordinator they can attract may be tied to how much the team appears committed to the coach and GM. That might mean we see coordinators promoted from within the organization. I'm guessing the OC job is Gary Kubiak's if he wants it.
If they wanted to make a change, they certainly could. I personally think it makes more sense to let the contracts for Zim, Spielman, and Cousins run out and do it after next year. I won't lie, another year of this certainly doesn't give me hope, but they gave Cousins the big contract, so I guess letting them play it out is okay.

It's more likely they will offer short extensions to everyone as a vote of confidence (with an out of some sort). If so, I would certainly think that gives Kubiak the inside track at OC. He's here, Zim loves him, and it causes the lowest impact. It's boring, but it makes the most sense, if they are all here. Boring doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong either :) It might be the best play considering the situation. If Gary doesn't want it, promoting his son would not be a shock either. I would prefer Gary if I had to choose, but it probably doesn't matter either way.
Damian
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm I just don't see how we fix that with the personnel we have.

Bradbury needs to get stronger and add some bulk. I think he'll do that. He seems to be a conscientious kid and a hard worker.

Elflein is what he is. He's played 3 years in the league now. All we heard last offseason was that he was healthy and not coming off any kind of surgery and poised for a good year. That didn't happen, unless you call announcers mentioning his name repeatedly for getting beat a good year.

Kline is probably serviceable if Bradbury gets better.

We can beat the Detroits and NYGs of the world. And we're fine against big bruising lines, where our O-linemen can use their athleticism for leverage and getting their opponents off balance. But we can't hold up against Green Bay and San Francisco, teams with super-athletic defensive lines who are better athletes than our O-linemen. You've either got to be bigger/stronger than the opponents' D-line, or you've got to be better athletes. We're neither against SF and Green Bay, and Chicago to a lesser degree.

To me, the best course of action is to sign a quality guard in free agency. I know we're hurting with the cap, but that's where Brzezinski has to get creative, and we've got to decide which highly paid guys we can live without.
I don't know that we will fix it. I would not be surprised if they think they can be replacing one guy (Elf), and bulking up Bradbury though. I'd like to hope it's possible, but I don't know. I don't think Kline was too bad this year, but Bradbury and Elf were problems too often. Reiff is okay, and ONiell was mostly better than okay, so... maybe it's possible with just those 2 things. Assuming they get it right of course.
Damian
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:38 pm This might be really unpopular with some, but I think the Vikings will have the exact same line next year as this one. Elf might get replaced with Hill or a guy currently on the roster, but I could see them thinking the line is good enough and drafting almost all defense.
It's not hard to imagine that or at least a scenario in which they don't select an o-lineman until day 3. I think how they handle the DB positions will be a big factor. If they cut ties with Rhodes and don't re-sign Waynes, the odds that they draft a CB in R1 or R2 probably skyrocket because DB seems to be a high priority position for Zimmer. If Joseph and/or Griffen aren't returning, it's pretty easy to imagine them prioritizing defense over OL in that scenario too.
It's all going to depend on how many holes we open up given cap space. If Joseph goes, we need 2 DTs. If Griff goes, DE becomes a priority even though we have a few backups that are okay, CB is going to be addressed, OL has holes, maybe #3 WR, backup QB? The more holes, the tougher it will be to fill the massive OL void. Hopefully they dont turn their head the other way, especially with Eflein.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

1. Trade Kirk
2. Sign Teddy
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:04 pm 1. Trade Kirk
2. Sign Teddy
Is there any way they can restructure Cousin's contract? I think they are just stuck with it until a year from March.

I'm starting to think they till take a flier draft pick on a QB day 1 or day 2. If they hit it extends the window.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:08 pm
2. Sign Teddy
Is there any way they can restructure Cousin's contract? I think they are just stuck with it until a year from March.

I'm starting to think they till take a flier draft pick on a QB day 1 or day 2. If they hit it extends the window.
Tell him he can go sit in conversion van or start working with his agent to find a trade destination where they might want him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm
Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm

It's all going to depend on how many holes we open up given cap space. If Joseph goes, we need 2 DTs. If Griff goes, DE becomes a priority even though we have a few backups that are okay, CB is going to be addressed, OL has holes, maybe #3 WR, backup QB? The more holes, the tougher it will be to fill the massive OL void. Hopefully they dont turn their head the other way, especially with Eflein.
I honestly believe Odenigbo is where Griffen was five years ago ... young, talented, hungry, and ready for prime time. Make the priority signing Odenigbo instead of keeping Griffen. I don't believe we'd be any worse off from a production standpoint, and we might even be better. And we'd certainly be better off cap-wise than Griffen's ridiculous $13.9 million cap hit.

Cutting Griffen saves more than $13 million against the cap. That could be used to sign Odenigbo and a top interior lineman, easily.

Joseph will count $12.9 million against the cap if we keep him, but only costs $2.4 million in dead cap if we cut him. That's $10.5 million in cap savings. I just don't see how the Vikings can keep Joseph at that price. He's not that productive.

There are tough decisions to be made with the Vikings' defense. That's where cap savings is going to come ... Rhodes, Waynes, Griffen, and Joseph. Cutting all four saves $31.5 million, PLUS whatever Waynes costs (likely $10 million or more). Rhodes, Griff and Joseph are all over 30 or will be by the time the season starts.

It sucks. These are guys who have done great things for us in the past, but some of them are going to have to go. It's very possible that the biggest change we see in the Vikings next year is on defense.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

2. Sign Teddy

The only way you can restructure is if you add more years to his deal, and there are significantly better options for that. Guys who you don't have to add years to their deals, and can just convert salary to signing bonus without them even giving consent. Hunter, Diggs, and Kendricks are prime candidates.

You could trade him if he agreed to a trade, so you would need a good team to want him.

He is our QB next year, which is fine as long as they have a backup plan for if he doesn't take the next step and aren't afraid to draft the QBOTF if he is there for you to pick this coming draft.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:22 pm There are tough decisions to be made with the Vikings' defense. That's where cap savings is going to come ... Rhodes, Waynes, Griffen, and Joseph. Cutting all four saves $31.5 million, PLUS whatever Waynes costs (likely $10 million or more). Rhodes, Griff and Joseph are all over 30 or will be by the time the season starts.

It sucks. These are guys who have done great things for us in the past, but some of them are going to have to go. It's very possible that the biggest change we see in the Vikings next year is on defense.
The fact remains that the Vikings defense finished what, 13th overall this year? They had several games where they were absolutely gashed on the ground and had one of the worst completion % allowed by their cornerbacks combined IIRC. It was NOT a stellar year and certainly not the type of performance one would expect from a veteran group that has so many players who have played together for so long.

The defense is one area of the team that is ready for an overhaul.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 pm

The only way you can restructure is if you add more years to his deal, and there are significantly better options for that. Guys who you don't have to add years to their deals, and can just convert salary to signing bonus without them even giving consent. Hunter, Diggs, and Kendricks are prime candidates.

You could trade him if he agreed to a trade, so you would need a good team to want him.

He is our QB next year, which is fine as long as they have a backup plan for if he doesn't take the next step and aren't afraid to draft the QBOTF if he is there for you to pick this coming draft.
There is no way Cousins gets traded next year. No team is going to take him with that contract, even if it just one more year.

The keys for me are do the Vikings try to extend Cousins and what moves do they make in the draft to reveal their longer-term thinking at the position? Extending Cousins is a bad sign, IMHO, as is ignoring the QB position in the draft. The only way I can see either happening this offseason is if Zimmer convinces Spielman that the team just needs a few tweaks to get to the overall level of consistency needed for it to compete against the better teams. He can make the argument that it isn't Cousins that needs to be "fixed", per se, but the offensive line and elements of the defense, and that with those moves the Vikings can keep the pressure off Cousins that allows him to perform. If I'm Spielman, I'd be extremely skeptical that such a team can be built. He can make tweaks, sure, maybe even tweaks that do make the Vikings one of the objectively better overall teams in the league, but he can't make the overall team clearly dominant that way. Eventually, and in the games and situations that matter most, Cousins will simply have to perform. He hasn't shown he can do that consistently. Its fool's gold and if Spielman chases it again this offseason he is proving he needs to go.

This offseason needs to be about cutting dead weight on defense while targeting improvements along both lines and at CB in the draft as well as trying to find that QB diamond in the rough. Stay the course with Cousins but don't extend him. Hope those improvements set the team up for longer-term success, and, if Cousins does surprise to the upside next season, try to work something out with him before the end of the season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pmThe defense is one area of the team that is ready for an overhaul.
Yes, along with the offense and special teams. If they can just get those 3 areas right, I think they'll have a winner!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:28 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pmThe defense is one area of the team that is ready for an overhaul.
Yes, along with the offense and special teams. If they can just get those 3 areas right, I think they'll have a winner!
:lol:

Got to start somewhere, though...

I'm not convinced the offense needs an overhaul. The offensive line needs maturation and a tweak. I'm happy with the tight ends, receivers and running backs, and while I don't think the Vikings can sniff the Superbowl with Cousins next year, they can win games with him at QB.

Special teams, at least at kicker and punter aren't terrible either.

Defense is most ripe for significant changes this offseason.