Broncos Post Game Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Broncos Post Game Thread

Post by S197 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:30 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:22 pm Great comeback by the Vikings! That could have been an ugly loss and instead, the Vikings showed the resilience to get the win. Kudos to everyone involved, especially Cousins, who was on fire in the second half.

The goal line stand at the end was huge.
I wasn't able to watch the game. But what happened on the D side. Was there certain players that were getting picked on.
Rhodes and Waynes, while having good position, both gave up long completions. Another TE (Fant) also had a strong game against this scheme. I don’t know that you could put it on a single player, lots to go around.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

S197 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:38 pm Rhodes and Waynes, while having good position, both gave up long completions. Another TE (Fant) also had a strong game against this scheme. I don’t know that you could put it on a single player, lots to go around.
Waynes had some great coverage and break ups in the second half. Rhodes continued to look silly. Hard to believe his skills could erode so quickly.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

TSonn wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:37 pm Anyone else think it's funny that when Brees, Rodgers, or Brady come back from 2+ scores no one argues that they should've played better in the first half? Seems like quite a few people are saying that about Kirk despite him completely carrying this team and defense in the second half (and that the problem in first half was clearly the gameplan, not Kirk).

Great game for Kirk and Diggs. Love that Irv got in the mix. Bisi continues to impress. Hopefully the defense gets their stuff together.
He should have played better though. So should the defense but he also played a hand in it. It was the Cousins we’ve seen all year, scared and making poor decisions in the 1st, brilliant in the 2nd.

Let me give you an example. He draws a DE offsides with a hard count, it’s to his right so he clearly sees this. It’s a free play. Every single time Rodgers or Brady chucks that down field because you have absolutely nothing to lose. Cousins checks it down to Cook. Next play is a fumble.

It’s similar to the slide short against KC, he just has these mental flops at times. Something you expect from a Brandon Kelley but not a guy getting paid $84M.

And I think that’s why there are different opinions. You look at the 2nd half and you see the talent. It’s clearly there. But it’s not consistent.

This game was predominantly on the defense. They came out slow and unprepared. The play calling in the first half didn’t help Cousins much either but a lot is still on him. You may say that’s just one play but this game was decided by 4 yards. KC a last second kick. 1 or 2 plays matter.
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

Sendejo lead the team in tackles today with 7, to go along with an interception. Good pickup.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

What a second half! At one point Denver had a 92% win probability per ESPN. Glad that Packers fans got to watch this game on their bye :lol:
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

So I need to call my health insurance and see if being a Vikings fan can be added to my policy.

Anyways. The Vikings tried to play it safe on both sides of the ball in the first half. Broncos opened the playbook to expose us. Vikings shot themselves in the foot a few times adding the inconsistency by the refs I was left sulking in the deep end of my couch. TBH I thought it was the dagger when Abdullah fumbled but fortunately we got the interception right back.

Vikings managed to turn it around in the second half by making plays, I believe, they obviously should have called in the first half.

Our defense Definitely has to step up because playing like that against the Seahawks is not going to look pretty.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

ThePiper wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm Sendejo lead the team in tackles today with 7, to go along with an interception. Good pickup.
Smith’s hamstring injury has me worried. Did they cover it on TV? I don’t remember him going out. But if he is out for a game or two it makes me feel better that we have Sendejo back. Sendejo and Harris is not a bad combo, even though no combo is as good as a combo including Harrison Smith.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Helluva comeback win. At halftime I was totally frustrated as hell but I thought about that 21-20 comeback win over the Bears back in the early 90’s when we trailed 20-0. That last drive by Denver felt like it lasted 20 minutes with so many conversions. I spent the entire 2nd half standing 4 ft from the TV and yelling/cheering/cussing.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Im not too down on the D. The secondary seems to be in a flux with injuries which is changing how they play the pass. Rhodes and Hughes are struggling. I can see Hughes being rusty because of his injury , but Rhodes is deteriorating. They have to correct the drive extending penalties. Hard to overcome those.

2nd string or not, Allen is a good QB. fearless. Good receivers , good RB.

Offense. Hard to imagine how good they did in the 2nd half against this D, especially with how bad they did in the 1st. Hats off to Kirk for hanging in there and putting things together in the 2nd half. Very impressive altho too much of a jeckyl Hyde performance to get too excited. great comeback performance, esp wo any run game.
That deep pass to Diggs on their 1st Rd drive was key I thought. Seemed to open up everything.

Special teams was a disaster. Almost cost the Vikings the game.

Huge win. Thought a loss today could have deflated the rest of the season. Instead, I can see this team use this win as a push into later half. The Seattle game is going to be fun.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

S197 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm
TSonn wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:37 pm Anyone else think it's funny that when Brees, Rodgers, or Brady come back from 2+ scores no one argues that they should've played better in the first half? Seems like quite a few people are saying that about Kirk despite him completely carrying this team and defense in the second half (and that the problem in first half was clearly the gameplan, not Kirk).

Great game for Kirk and Diggs. Love that Irv got in the mix. Bisi continues to impress. Hopefully the defense gets their stuff together.
Let me give you an example. He draws a DE offsides with a hard count, it’s to his right so he clearly sees this. It’s a free play. Every single time Rodgers or Brady chucks that down field because you have absolutely nothing to lose. Cousins checks it down to Cook. Next play is a fumble.
I was listening to the game on the radio for this play (watched the first quarter, listened to the rest) and I'll admit that I was disappointed to hear we didn't take a deep shot when Kirk got the jump. But are our guys taught to abandon the play call and just go deep when they see the flag? I really don't think so - not Zimmer's style because there's a chance the flag is not offsides. It seems like we need the right play call AND the jump in order to take advantage as opposed to the Packers WRs coached to go deep when they see that early flag.

Maybe it was different in the second quarter, but the entire first quarter I think Kirk had 2 plays where the play call allowed him to look past 5 yards. There was so many short throws/screens called in the first quarter and the Broncos were ready for it. We ran one good PA where Cousins was looking deep but didn't pull the trigger and then he had an opportunity on 3rd and long to hit Diggs but he took a sack instead. Maybe things changed in the 2nd quarter but the way the announcers were talking it made it sound like the conservative play calling continued.

But I'm not going to blame Kirk for that first half when what I saw in the first quarter was BS play calling that was obvious they were either scared of Denver's defense OR over confident that they didn't need to score many points to win. That obviously changed in the 2nd half.

Still - Brees, Rodgers, Brady don't get dissected like this after a 20 point second half comeback.
Last edited by TSonn on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

This was the kind of game that made me Wish I was one of those guys that shopped at craft stores on Sundays instead of living/dying with this team. LOL.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Why, after 50+ years following this team, do I continue to be surprised at the ridiculous negativity of Vikings fans?

We come back from 20 down, and the vast majority on of you on this board are COMPLAINING.

This is the NFL. You don't just walk over teams because your record is better. Denver is #4 in the league in defense. They have now lost four 4th-quarter leads. That means they're in every game. They're 3-7, but they can play, especially without Joe "The Statue" Flacco playing QB.

And by the way, where are all you Cousins nay-sayers now? I mean, I actually read one of you complain that he didn't "take a shot" on a free play? That's your criticism? Kind of a reach, don't you think? How many of you haters said that "if we ever get in a game where it's on Cousins' shoulders to bring us back, we're dead"? Oh wait ... it was a 3-6 team on a noon game at home. Guess it doesn't count. :roll:

The man was 29-of-35 for 319 and 3 TDs for a 133.2. Guaranteed, he'll be in the running for Offensive Player of the Week. Somebody's gonna have to seriously ball out to take the honor from him.

The bottom line is, in case you missed it ... WE WON. We're 8-3. We're breathing down the Packers' throats. How about enjoy it? Or at least allow us non-haters to enjoy it.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

We we shut out in the first half. Can't say anyone had a great game.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:10 pm Why, after 50+ years following this team, do I continue to be surprised at the ridiculous negativity of Vikings fans?

We come back from 20 down, and the vast majority on of you on this board are COMPLAINING.

This is the NFL. You don't just walk over teams because your record is better. Denver is #4 in the league in defense. They have now lost four 4th-quarter leads. That means they're in every game. They're 3-7, but they can play, especially without Joe "The Statue" Flacco playing QB.

And by the way, where are all you Cousins nay-sayers now? I mean, I actually read one of you complain that he didn't "take a shot" on a free play? That's your criticism? Kind of a reach, don't you think? How many of you haters said that "if we ever get in a game where it's on Cousins' shoulders to bring us back, we're dead"? Oh wait ... it was a 3-6 team on a noon game at home. Guess it doesn't count. :roll:

The man was 29-of-35 for 319 and 3 TDs for a 133.2. Guaranteed, he'll be in the running for Offensive Player of the Week. Somebody's gonna have to seriously ball out to take the honor from him.

The bottom line is, in case you missed it ... WE WON. We're 8-3. We're breathing down the Packers' throats. How about enjoy it? Or at least allow us non-haters to enjoy it.
Joe. Joe. Joe. Come on man. You can't expect everyone to sit here and cheer like everything is awesome. Even you have to admit that our defense has shown some major issues lately. It is alarming. You talk about Denver's defense. Fair. It is great. However, we gave up 20 points in a half to a rag tag offense. Yes we won. I am elated but I am not blind. We have serious issues. I dont care about making the playoffs only. I want to win it all. Right now, that doesnt seem like this team is headed in the right direction to do so. Our defense is a shell of itself.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm

We we shut out in the first half. Can't say anyone had a great game.
Sure you can. Just put one word in front of the other. It's not that hard.

Diggs 5-for-121 and a touch. Not great?
Cousins 133.2 passer rating, 323 yards and 3 TDs. Not great?
Maybe even ... Andrew Sendejo? 7 tackles and a pick. Pretty decent, at least? And hey, he didn't injure any teammates.

Let me ask you something. If this were the Super Bowl and we'd just come from 20 down to win it, would you still say that?

My god, enjoy the damn win.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.