3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Exactly Kapp. YV how can you sit there and say, Boone would have done the same?? That’s a poor poor argument. I’m gonna laugh when mattison goes over 100 and you’re gonna say “Boone could have done that too!!” :lol: I can tell you that having a “better #3” wouldn’t have done much for us today given we threw for 98 yards. We hardly needed a 3rd WR because Cook AND Mattison dominated today.

Give. It. Up.
"I can tell you that having a “better #3” wouldn’t have done much for us today given we threw for 98 yards."

That's today. What about next week and the week after that? Because Mattison performed, it doesn't mean that Cook and company, couldnt fill the same role. Because Mattison had a solid game, it proves he was the right pick for this team. LOL. Completely silly line of thinking continues. I'm done. You and the rest of the koolaid drinkers win. Can't argue simple logic with irrational people.
Next week and the week after that, we're going to need Alexander Mattison. If the Vikings run the style of offense that Kubiak runs with only one good back, they'd run Dalvin Cook into the ground. Mattison is a better choice than Boone, period. If he weren't, it would have been Boone getting those carries today.

But hey, you're the only one making this argument, so you're obviously the smartest one in the room. I mean, what do the rest of us clueless "koolaid drinkers" know?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 pm Good Lord this board is dysfunctional!!!!! We had a great Kubiak style win against a potential playoff team with a dominant running game and D.....And there are more posts arguing about a WR who isn’t on the team and a backup running back (who by the way put up great numbers for a backup role today!!) than in the post game thread!!

And here I am contributing to the madness :rofl:
Thank you!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:19 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 pm

"I can tell you that having a “better #3” wouldn’t have done much for us today given we threw for 98 yards."

That's today. What about next week and the week after that? Because Mattison performed, it doesn't mean that Cook and company, couldnt fill the same role. Because Mattison had a solid game, it proves he was the right pick for this team. LOL. Completely silly line of thinking continues. I'm done. You and the rest of the koolaid drinkers win. Can't argue simple logic with irrational people.
Next week and the week after that, we're going to need Alexander Mattison. If the Vikings run the style of offense that Kubiak runs with only one good back, they'd run Dalvin Cook into the ground. Mattison is a better choice than Boone, period. If he weren't, it would have been Boone getting those carries today.

But hey, you're the only one making this argument, so you're obviously the smartest one in the room. I mean, what do the rest of us clueless "koolaid drinkers" know?
Me being the only one making an argument doesn't make it invalid. I was the only one saying we needed to fix the oline last season before it fell apart. I was the only one saying we didn't have a 3rd WR when you guys were still super high on Bebbe. What happened to him and that love? You are still not addressing the point I am making and I don't know how to get you guys to discuss what is being raised and not trying to prove something that I isnt in contention. No one said Boone was better than Mattison (i did say that he out played him in the preseason). The argument was and still is that Mattison (while playing well) was less of a need than WR. Both positions have starters who are injury prone. Only one position right now has a starter already banged up ( it aint RB). We wont always win games this way and when we run into a game where we are in a shoot out and have to pass, our lack of ability to go 3 Wide will bite us in the butt. We have KC up soon. If they jump up 14 on us, we don't have the personal to go into a pass offense and keep up. I'm more confident in our 3rd with Doctson (if he learns the playbook) but at the time of this thread we had no one after Diggs and we still dont.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 pm I was the only one saying we needed to fix the oline last season before it fell apart.
LOL. Every Vikings fan has been saying this since at least the 2016 season.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

TSonn wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:52 pm I was the only one saying we needed to fix the oline last season before it fell apart.
I've been saying it since 2007. Remember 2009, we were all worried Favre would get killed.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Let's just see what young Alexander can do.
Ready for Halloween
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

TSonn wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 pm
OK. Come on. After 2017, "we were fine" the line is "good enough" It wasn't until later in 2018 that it became clear that Compton was a liability and should have been addressed. Pondering was talking up Compton and how skill he was. Others were arguing that guard was a bigger need than CB. Let's not pretend.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

The difference between prioritizing WR3 over RB2 is shades of gray, and is entirely dependent on your views, the team philosophy, game day opponents, efficicacy of the QB, general health of the starters, gameday situations, what kind and quantity of talent is available “on the street” at each position, etc.

Arguing for or against should create a valid, thought-provoking thread. Not one poster on this board has enough info to determine which course of action was or will be the right one for this team. And time may prove every other game one position is more important than the other.

Diggs could go down with a season-ending injury the same as Cook. Could happen on the third play of the next game. Both could stay (relatively) healthy all season long, making their backups simply guys that cut down on carries/catches when needed.

Point is, no one knows. And yet posters on this board somehow, inconceivably, incredibly, KNOW.

That's not right guys. I’d say take the WR3 > RB2 position at face value and knock around your ideas, and try to tip the logic scales to the RB2 > WR3 position. To claim Mattison is a "fantastic find" right now is premature, so don't even go there. To even claim one position is clearly better than the other for this team is also folly. If anything, over the long haul, one position may be 55% "better" versus the other 45%. Arguing in absolutes tends to ignore the realities of the NFL.

Unless of course you want everyone who doesn't think the EXACT same way as you off this board. Then, carry on naming dogs after posters.

See you guys in another few years.

P.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

psjordan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:40 am The difference between prioritizing WR3 over RB2 is shades of gray, and is entirely dependent on your views, the team philosophy, game day opponents, efficicacy of the QB, general health of the starters, gameday situations, what kind and quantity of talent is available “on the street” at each position, etc.

Arguing for or against should create a valid, thought-provoking thread. Not one poster on this board has enough info to determine which course of action was or will be the right one for this team. And time may prove every other game one position is more important than the other.

Diggs could go down with a season-ending injury the same as Cook. Could happen on the third play of the next game. Both could stay (relatively) healthy all season long, making their backups simply guys that cut down on carries/catches when needed.

Point is, no one knows. And yet posters on this board somehow, inconceivably, incredibly, KNOW.

That's not right guys. I’d say take the WR3 > RB2 position at face value and knock around your ideas, and try to tip the logic scales to the RB2 > WR3 position. To claim Mattison is a "fantastic find" right now is premature, so don't even go there. To even claim one position is clearly better than the other for this team is also folly. If anything, over the long haul, one position may be 55% "better" versus the other 45%. Arguing in absolutes tends to ignore the realities of the NFL.

Unless of course you want everyone who doesn't think the EXACT same way as you off this board. Then, carry on naming dogs after posters.

See you guys in another few years.

P.
Finally someone else gets it. Thank you sir.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I deleted several posts that got personal. If it continues people are going to get some time off.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

psjordan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:40 am Point is, no one knows. And yet posters on this board somehow, inconceivably, incredibly, KNOW.
Great post and point.

Nobody really knows. The fact is, people make the best decision available to them given their knowledge and experience, and the only absolute arbiter and judge of those decisions is time. If there is a disagreement about something, that's a tacit acknowledgment on the part of everyone arguing/debating that the outcome isn't certain and the truth isn't known.

The personal attacks just aren't necessary. The only purpose they serve is to shut down alternative perspectives and ideas. In pursuit of exactly what I don't know (perhaps some internal need to be "right" about something), but they don't serve the board or the greater camaraderie we should share as fans of the Vikings.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I will apologize for my post this morning about the dog thing. Trying to make stupid humor about all the arguing and attacking lately. I take full responsibility and apologize. Wont happen again.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Cliff wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:39 pm I deleted several posts that got personal. If it continues people are going to get some time off.
THANK YOU.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 pm I will apologize for my post this morning about the dog thing. Trying to make stupid humor about all the arguing and attacking lately. I take full responsibility and apologize. Wont happen again.
I'm not picking on you, although I am using your post as an example. You've been a member of the board for a long time and a good one. I just need to make a point. It just seems like these arguments start, people get yelled at by the mods, and apologies are made, but the behavior doesn't change.
I joined the board in 2005 after Red McCheap traded randy moss. There were very few insults, attacks, or passive aggressive posts made because we all respected each other and each other's opinions. We loved each other company and looked for common ground rather than looking for each little disagreement and making it a pedistal of which to piss on other members. It was a great board and a god send to die hard viking fans like me. The moderators would put out any small fires right when they started before they got to the point of immature name calling and constant bickering. In the end, maturity won out.
The board maintained that good level for years. I loved coming here and reading what my fellow viking fans had to say. They're was a ton of good knowledge, and I can honestly say I learned more about football in that time than I ever could have in and class or by any video. I made a ton of friends on here. It was awesome.
A few years ago, something changed. I don't know what it was. But the mood and demeanor of the board grew cloudy. People started getting salty and sullen. The posts (mostly) gradually went from informative to "I'm right and you're wrong, and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise". I am not the only one who feels like this. I've talked to other members about it. The top 10 posters on this board hardly ever post anymore. I'm not saying all of it is because of any one reason, but to me, it's no coincidence that this has happened in the last few years when the posts started getting offensive. It's really a bad thing. This board used to be an escape when the Vikings lost, now I need to avoid it like the plague after a loss.
Folks, I implore you to turn this board back into what it once was: A powerful, awesome brotherhood of viking fans who love each others company and can't wait to discuss what they saw each game. And no, I'm not saying I've been an angel, but I try my hardest to respect others on here.
We have a great group of moderators and long time members, and I think we all want the same thing to happen here on the board. We all need to man-up and make it happen.
Let's all continue to cheer for the Vikings every week so that when we finally hoist the Lombardi trophy, we can all celebrate it together.
Skol.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 pm I will apologize for my post this morning about the dog thing. Trying to make stupid humor about all the arguing and attacking lately. I take full responsibility and apologize. Wont happen again.
I'm not picking on you, although I am using your post as an example. You've been a member of the board for a long time and a good one. I just need to make a point. It just seems like these arguments start, people get yelled at by the mods, and apologies are made, but the behavior doesn't change.
I joined the board in 2005 after Red McCheap traded randy moss. There were very few insults, attacks, or passive aggressive posts made because we all respected each other and each other's opinions. We loved each other company and looked for common ground rather than looking for each little disagreement and making it a pedistal of which to piss on other members. It was a great board and a god send to die hard viking fans like me. The moderators would put out any small fires right when they started before they got to the point of immature name calling and constant bickering. In the end, maturity won out.
The board maintained that good level for years. I loved coming here and reading what my fellow viking fans had to say. They're was a ton of good knowledge, and I can honestly say I learned more about football in that time than I ever could have in and class or by any video. I made a ton of friends on here. It was awesome.
A few years ago, something changed. I don't know what it was. But the mood and demeanor of the board grew cloudy. People started getting salty and sullen. The posts (mostly) gradually went from informative to "I'm right and you're wrong, and you're an idiot for thinking otherwise". I am not the only one who feels like this. I've talked to other members about it. The top 10 posters on this board hardly ever post anymore. I'm not saying all of it is because of any one reason, but to me, it's no coincidence that this has happened in the last few years when the posts started getting offensive. It's really a bad thing. This board used to be an escape when the Vikings lost, now I need to avoid it like the plague after a loss.
Folks, I implore you to turn this board back into what it once was: A powerful, awesome brotherhood of viking fans who love each others company and can't wait to discuss what they saw each game. And no, I'm not saying I've been an angel, but I try my hardest to respect others on here.
We have a great group of moderators and long time members, and I think we all want the same thing to happen here on the board. We all need to man-up and make it happen.
Let's all continue to cheer for the Vikings every week so that when we finally hoist the Lombardi trophy, we can all celebrate it together.
Skol.
I totally understand man. I realized after I sent it and th thought about before work that I should never have even sent it, and that was way before Cliff mentioned anything. I've only ever had one issue on here with someone , and that person actually attacked me and apparently it was the last straw and that person was banned. I had 2 other members PM me telling me that I didn't need to put up with it and had reached out to the mods to have that person banned. I didn't ask for them to be but it I guess it was their last chance.
This morning I fell victim to the back n forth stuff, and due to being a bad mood for lack of sleep because of the fact that I was up almost all night on the verge of running my wife to the ER because of issues with her diabetes insulin pump, I just basically had a dumb a#$ attack and decided to post a stupid smart aleck post. I own it, I apologized cuz it was stupid, not just because of a mod calling it out . It was a stupid post trying to poke fun at all the arguing and back biting that I've witnessed lately.
So I will say, I won't do that again. I'm very excited about the way we started yesterday. I hope we keep it up.
Bow season starts here in Ohio real soon, so between that and football, I may just take a break from the board myself. Unfortunately it has taken a turn that just isn't quite as enjoyable. So to anyone offended, again I apologize.
If I do take a break i wish you all the best and hope the Vikes keep it going.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!