Vikings trade for Vedvik

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings trade for Vedvik

Post by CharVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 am
Vedvik was long snapping. Let's be positive there's no need to worry and the LS/Holder combination. That can be cleared up right before opening day kickoff. This is setting up to be a cluster F and will bite us. Then Zim acting surprised about the trade and having no idea what position he would play. If in fact he was surprised then that's a bigger issue and not a good sign.
The dude they just traded for was snapping?
I was making a joke. It was a bad one.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 pm
That's what I thought. How many holders we using? 6?
I heard that Bailey was 6-6 on FGs in practice today. Wonder if it was Vedvik holding.
Vedvik was long snapping. Let's be positive there's no need to worry and the LS/Holder combination. That can be cleared up right before opening day kickoff. This is setting up to be a cluster F and will bite us. Then Zim acting surprised about the trade and having no idea what position he would play. If in fact he was surprised then that's a bigger issue and not a good sign.
They day after the presser you saw (or read about), Zimmer clarified that he was playing dumb because he had been asked to act like he didn't know about it.

His "acting ignorant" is likely at play when it comes to their intentions with the kicker and punter situation too. It doesn't behoove him to reveal that publicly, so he just answers evasively and the media and fans think it's a total mess.

The plan is clear, if you ask me: bring in talent at key positions and let the cream rise to the top. That is the case for all positions. I'm less worried about it than most fans, but I get the apprehension: we have a heartbreaking history with kickers.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm

I thought it was funny. :lol:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm
Or maybe it was simply Vedvik being on the field.

Nothing motivates a man quite like the threat of losing his job.
Wouldn't that be more pressure causing Bailey to choke?
Different people respond in different ways.

I play a lot of golf. My handicap is about 1.6, which isn't bad. I play a lot of match play with friends and other competitors. Some guys do really well when they get out in front. You just can't catch them. But the minute you put pressure on them, they fold. Other guys thrive under pressure. One friend I play with ... he always plays better when I make a great shot and he has to follow. He's uncanny. If he hits first, it's like he's using a hockey stick. But if he hits AFTER I've hit a good shot, he turns into Rory Freaking McIlroy. I actually TRY to make sure he hits first (farthest from the hole). I'll adjust my strategy because I know he's going to hit it well if I do. But other guys, I want to hit first and put the pressure on them because I know their chances of matching a good shot are less.

I won't tell you which I am. 8)

Dan Bailey could be like my buddy. "Crap, this guy's good. I'd better get my crap together and match him." Or, since 7 kicks is a pretty small sample size, it could totally be random.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm

LOL, well with the Vikings and special teams, anything is possible.
He could snap it back, quick run and catch it, and put the ball on the ground. Then, hop up, move back a few feet, run up and kick it before the ball falls over. He could save two roster spots by doing that.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:52 am
Wouldn't that be more pressure causing Bailey to choke?

I play a lot of golf. My handicap is about 1.6, which isn't bad. I play a lot of match play with friends and other competitors. Some guys do really well when they get out in front. You just can't catch them. But the minute you put pressure on them, they fold. Other guys thrive under pressure. One friend I play with ... he always plays better when I make a great shot and he has to follow. He's uncanny. If he hits first, it's like he's using a hockey stick. But if he hits AFTER I've hit a good shot, he turns into Rory Freaking McIlroy. I actually TRY to make sure he hits first (farthest from the hole). I'll adjust my strategy because I know he's going to hit it well if I do. But other guys, I want to hit first and put the pressure on them because I know their chances of matching a good shot are less.

Dan Bailey could be like my buddy. "Crap, this guy's good. I'd better get my crap together and match him." Or, since 7 kicks is a pretty small sample size, it could totally be random.
Well another really crappy day kicking in practice. Vedvik might be getting the job even if we did bring him over to punt.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:59 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Well another really crappy day kicking in practice. Vedvik might be getting the job even if we did bring him over to punt.
Daily Norseman has a summary (is it weird that we're chronicling practice kicks?). As the quote says, these were the "live" kicks.
Before practice, it looked like Dan Bailey was going to have another good day to follow up his perfect session on Tuesday. He only missed one of at least a dozen kicks and was splitting the uprights with plenty of distance. But when we got to the “live” kicks during practice, a familiar foe once again reared its ugly head: the right hash mark. Bailey’s results on Friday:

37 yards, right: GOOD
42 yards, left: GOOD
47 yards, right: NO GOOD (wide left)
37 yards, left: GOOD
44 yards, right: NO GOOD (left upright)
48 yards, right: NO GOOD (wide right)
Beebe was the holder on every kick. The snaps from Austin Cutting all appeared to be on target.

Bailey finished camp with a final tally of 52 of 70 kicks, good for only 74.3% accuracy. Of the 18 misses he had, 16 of them were from the right side.
It's going to be interesting.

As for Vedvik:
Vedvik had a much better day punting the ball than Bailey had with his field goals. He had seven punts in full special teams action before attempting a handful of “coffin corner” punts from midfield. The distance on those punts, respectively: 61 yards, 61 yards, 49 yards, 59 yards, 58 yards, 62 yards, and 54 yards.

And that isn’t air distance. That’s official punt distance from the line of scrimmage. These kicks weren’t line drives either; most of them had plenty of hang time. I really don’t think that Matt Wile has had a bad camp by any means, but it’s going to be very hard to for him to keep his job if Vedvik keeps punting like he has so far.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

None of this makes much sense.

Wile is an average to above average punter but we’re replacing him with a good FG kicker. To potentially keep the struggling FG kicker. And then we have Beebe holding for some inexplicable reason. Let’s just assume Beebe is a great holder, even if that’s the case, his #1 issue is he can’t stay healthy. Zimmer has literally said this and now they’re trusting him to stay healthy and hold for 16 games? It’s tough enough for a WR to stay healthy for the whole season let alone one who is potentially injury prone.

It seems all setup to be a carousel of disaster. The Vikings may have actually downgraded from Priefer.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm None of this makes much sense.

Wile is an average to above average punter but we’re replacing him with a good FG kicker. To potentially keep the struggling FG kicker. And then we have Beebe holding for some inexplicable reason. Let’s just assume Beebe is a great holder, even if that’s the case, his #1 issue is he can’t stay healthy. Zimmer has literally said this and now they’re trusting him to stay healthy and hold for 16 games? It’s tough enough for a WR to stay healthy for the whole season let alone one who is potentially injury prone.

It seems all setup to be a carousel of disaster. The Vikings may have actually downgraded from Priefer.
I can't figure out how he only kicked 70 fgs in training camp. With that said, trading for this kicker/punter makes no sense. Wile was really good, especially in the second half, at punting last season. And he seemed to be a good holder. And can this new kicker not hold? Why are we using our likely #3 WR to hold kicks? Did Wile royally mess something up last season when he was holding?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:10 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm None of this makes much sense.

I can't figure out how he only kicked 70 fgs in training camp. With that said, trading for this kicker/punter makes no sense. Wile was really good, especially in the second half, at punting last season. And he seemed to be a good holder. And can this new kicker not hold? Why are we using our likely #3 WR to hold kicks? Did Wile royally mess something up last season when he was holding?
No, no, no ... Wile wasn't a good holder. That's part of the problem. He'd never held before he got to the Vikings, and he reportedly had issues once he got here. I brought this up about five times last year, and I still contend it was a large part of Carlson's problem.

Wile also has a very difficult time directional kicking to his left. That's according to the coaching staff. It's a little like Bailey kicking from the right hash ... both are problems.

The 70 FGs is the number of live FG attempts, with the line blocking, people rushing, etc. Obviously he did more practice kicks than that. But special teamers are also offensive and defensive players, so the team can only dedicate a limited amount of time to full ST reps, especially considering they also have to fit punts and kickoffs into the allotted time. There's only 16 training camp practices. Not time for much more than 70 FG attempts.

One thing about Beebe holding ... if the Vikings ever wanted to run a fake, or if there was a bad snap that forced the holder to do something resembling a football play, Beebe would be much more athletic and equipped to do it than a typical punter. And honestly, what are the chances Beebe is going to get injured holding? I'm not sure I've ever seen a holder get hurt.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 pm

No, no, no ... Wile wasn't a good holder. That's part of the problem. He'd never held before he got to the Vikings, and he reportedly had issues once he got here. I brought this up about five times last year, and I still contend it was a large part of Carlson's problem.

Wile also has a very difficult time directional kicking to his left. That's according to the coaching staff. It's a little like Bailey kicking from the right hash ... both are problems.

The 70 FGs is the number of live FG attempts, with the line blocking, people rushing, etc. Obviously he did more practice kicks than that. But special teamers are also offensive and defensive players, so the team can only dedicate a limited amount of time to full ST reps, especially considering they also have to fit punts and kickoffs into the allotted time. There's only 16 training camp practices. Not time for much more than 70 FG attempts.

One thing about Beebe holding ... if the Vikings ever wanted to run a fake, or if there was a bad snap that forced the holder to do something resembling a football play, Beebe would be much more athletic and equipped to do it than a typical punter. And honestly, what are the chances Beebe is going to get injured holding? I'm not sure I've ever seen a holder get hurt.
I'm in full agreement the risk of getting injured while holding is very slight. The problem is if he gets injured playing WR we lose our primary holder. Vedvik is looking like our best option for both Punting and Kicking and possibly even holding. Not long snapping though :lol: .
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:54 am

I'm in full agreement the risk of getting injured while holding is very slight. The problem is if he gets injured playing WR we lose our primary holder. Vedvik is looking like our best option for both Punting and Kicking and possibly even holding. Not long snapping though :lol: .
Exactly. There’s a reason why very few holders are WRs. I’m really hoping they’re trying him out as an emergency holder, making him primary just seems really poorly thought out.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I heard nothing about Wiles holding being bad until after the season. They also didn't change holder's when Carlson struggled they changed kickers, so at that point they thought it was the kicker.

Then there is the fact Baileys struggles have come from the right no matter who holds. That tells me the problem was the kicker, and the holder is just an excuse.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Good point.

I stand corrected!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:11 am
Exactly. There’s a reason why very few holders are WRs. I’m really hoping they’re trying him out as an emergency holder, making him primary just seems really poorly thought out.
Here's a question.

Let's say they make Vedvik the punter and long field goal kicker, and let Wile go. As the punter, Vedvik becomes the regular holder.

If they want to try a very long field goal, who holds?

I guess it would be Beebe?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.