Vikings vs. New Orleans (preseason) ... thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs. New Orleans (preseason) ... thoughts

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Kapp , another perfect example of why your posts are so great. You have an excellent way of presenting your views, opinions and your assessment of how you see situations without being arrogant or argumentative. Them, in the case that someone starts arguing with you , trying to twist your words or discredit you, you come back with a very non confrontational response. Kudos to you Sir. It is a pleasure reading your posts. In conclusion, I would like to leave you with a nugget of trivia. Did you know that the pharmaceutical labs technicians that perfected the perfect formula for Xanax were Viking fans who did all lab trials during divisional games, regular season games to decide playoff births, playoff games and NFC Championship games?
OK, please tell me you're kidding about the Xanax. Cuz' I'm kinda gullible.

Thanks on the kudos. VL and I just saw things differently during that game. No big deal. I just really believe in what Stefubiak is trying to do (sorry, I know it's a stupid mashup, but from where I sit, they're joined at the hip). Gary Kubiak, unlike Norv Turner before him, has actually done something in a Super Bowl within the last 25 years. He has a track record of making stars out of low-round running backs and middle-of-the-road quarterbacks. To me, the best example was his work is his one year as Baltimore's OC in 2014. Calling their personnel average would be an overstatement, yet they finished 8th in the league in scoring offense. Justin Forsett, a 7th-round draft choice playing for his 6th team, rushed for 1,200 yards. Joe Flacco, not exactly a Hall-of-Famer, had 27 TDs to 12 INTs. I believe this offensive scheme -- zone blocking, run the ball, play-action, rollouts -- is perfect for not only our personnel, but also Mike Zimmer's philosophy. I'm bullish on our Vikings this year.

And yeah, I'm generally more optimistic than most Vikings fans. This is my 51st year as a fan, and the only explanation I have for it is that the law of averages has to catch up at some point. Mike Zimmer says, "Somebody's gonna win a Super Bowl in Minnesota. Might as well be me." That's how I feel as a fan. It's going to happen someday. This is a talented roster. Might as well be this season.
Haha Kapp.. I will let u off the hook on the Xanax . I don't truly know the origins of it and its formation in the lab, but I do believe that a fair share of Vikings fans have used , dare I say abused it, overv the years during to our history in big NFC Championship games.... al beit the Kerry Collins led Giants game fiasco, the Gary Anderson shank in 98, the 08/09 N.O. NFL/Pete Morrelli Bountygate conspiracy game, or the total Philly breakdown 2 yrs ago.. let alone all the SB let downs. Or even the I'll fated game against the Cards in AZ when we blew the game yhus sending the Pukers to the playoffs... and the list goes on and on.
I am like you Kapp. I'm turning 55 in Oct. I've been a Vikes fan since I was old enough to understand football, and have the pics of me in my Minny Vikes PJs and helmet when I was 4 or 5... so it's been a good 50 or so yrs for me as well.
I am like you my friend. I keep faith and try and hold on to the optimistic dream that before I die I WILL see the Lombardi trophy hoisted by a Vikings coach and owner. And I truly hope that it is Zim and Ziggy that i see it happen with. I truly believe that we do have all the peices in place to make it happen.
Some here will argue and think it is above dream. That is fine as we are all entitled to our opinions. But sometimes a team does shock the NFL community and end up winning the big game. How many truly believed that the Giants would spoil the Pats expected perfect season. I admit I didn't.
Like you paraphrased Zim... Someone has to the SB, why not us. I LOVE that. He is saying screw it.. why can't we take this t e.r am and win it all. I hope he is right. I hope in early Feb all of us hardcore Vikings fans can say "We don't need the Xanax.. we can crack open the Champagne.. or in my case the nice dark Stout... and celebrate the long awaited World Champion label.
Keep on dreaming positive buddy. I am right there with ya!!!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm
OK, please tell me you're kidding about the Xanax. Cuz' I'm kinda gullible.

Thanks on the kudos. VL and I just saw things differently during that game. No big deal. I just really believe in what Stefubiak is trying to do (sorry, I know it's a stupid mashup, but from where I sit, they're joined at the hip). Gary Kubiak, unlike Norv Turner before him, has actually done something in a Super Bowl within the last 25 years. He has a track record of making stars out of low-round running backs and middle-of-the-road quarterbacks. To me, the best example was his work is his one year as Baltimore's OC in 2014. Calling their personnel average would be an overstatement, yet they finished 8th in the league in scoring offense. Justin Forsett, a 7th-round draft choice playing for his 6th team, rushed for 1,200 yards. Joe Flacco, not exactly a Hall-of-Famer, had 27 TDs to 12 INTs. I believe this offensive scheme -- zone blocking, run the ball, play-action, rollouts -- is perfect for not only our personnel, but also Mike Zimmer's philosophy. I'm bullish on our Vikings this year.

And yeah, I'm generally more optimistic than most Vikings fans. This is my 51st year as a fan, and the only explanation I have for it is that the law of averages has to catch up at some point. Mike Zimmer says, "Somebody's gonna win a Super Bowl in Minnesota. Might as well be me." That's how I feel as a fan. It's going to happen someday. This is a talented roster. Might as well be this season.
Haha Kapp.. I will let u off the hook on the Xanax . I don't truly know the origins of it and its formation in the lab, but I do believe that a fair share of Vikings fans have used , dare I say abused it, overv the years during to our history in big NFC Championship games.... al beit the Kerry Collins led Giants game fiasco, the Gary Anderson shank in 98, the 08/09 N.O. NFL/Pete Morrelli Bountygate conspiracy game, or the total Philly breakdown 2 yrs ago.. let alone all the SB let downs. Or even the I'll fated game against the Cards in AZ when we blew the game yhus sending the Pukers to the playoffs... and the list goes on and on.
I am like you Kapp. I'm turning 55 in Oct. I've been a Vikes fan since I was old enough to understand football, and have the pics of me in my Minny Vikes PJs and helmet when I was 4 or 5... so it's been a good 50 or so yrs for me as well.
I am like you my friend. I keep faith and try and hold on to the optimistic dream that before I die I WILL see the Lombardi trophy hoisted by a Vikings coach and owner. And I truly hope that it is Zim and Ziggy that i see it happen with. I truly believe that we do have all the peices in place to make it happen.
Some here will argue and think it is above dream. That is fine as we are all entitled to our opinions. But sometimes a team does shock the NFL community and end up winning the big game. How many truly believed that the Giants would spoil the Pats expected perfect season. I admit I didn't.
Like you paraphrased Zim... Someone has to the SB, why not us. I LOVE that. He is saying screw it.. why can't we take this t e.r am and win it all. I hope he is right. I hope in early Feb all of us hardcore Vikings fans can say "We don't need the Xanax.. we can crack open the Champagne.. or in my case the nice dark Stout... and celebrate the long awaited World Champion label.
Man, I'll admit ... I get defensive when it comes to the Vikings. And Mike Zimmer. I think he's the best coach we've had since Bud Grant. Is he perfect? No, but he gets better every year, in my opinion. I don't know if he's going to get it done, but of everybody who's been coach since Bud, he's the one I want to win it most. Any time you've got a coach who's really hard on his players, yet they love him anyway ... that's a keeper. Some guys on here disagree. Don't care.

This is actually a pretty good scenario for the Vikings because they're getting ZERO respect. Vegas has us tied for the 8th-best odds to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Freaking 4-12 San Francisco is given the same odds as us. They have the damn 6-9-1 Packers significantly ahead of us. There is NO respect for this team. Yet this is, in my opinion, a BETTER roster than the 2018 team, which was 5th overall prior to the season, according to Vegas. The O-line is upgraded. Gary Kubiak is going to make a huge difference, which I've been saying since the day he was hired. And Mike Zimmer seems to do his best work when nobody respects his team. I love that people underestimate this team.

There is one voice in the media who believes in the Vikings. Peter Schrager shocked everybody by picking us to win the NFC North.

I seriously can't wait for the season. I'm going to the Oakland game on September 22nd. Hoping that game puts us at 3-0.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:21 pm
There is one voice in the media who believes in the Vikings. Peter Schrager shocked everybody by picking us to win the NFC North.
I am surprised there aren't more as I think winning the NFC North is a real possibility.

For the Bears, there is just as good of a chance that Trubiskey is terrible this year as there is that he is great. The Bears also lost their DC, and that should set them back a bit on defense. The one thing they have going for them is a great draft(considering their picks) where they found an all around legit RB in the 3rd. Must be nice.

As for the Packers, Rodgers is showing his age and I don't like their HC. Did they add enough to go from 6-10 to division champs? Who is Rodgers going to throw to besides Adams?

The Lions will always suck.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Man, I'll admit ... I get defensive when it comes to the Vikings. And Mike Zimmer. I think he's the best coach we've had since Bud Grant. Is he perfect? No, but he gets better every year, in my opinion. I don't know if he's going to get it done, but of everybody who's been coach since Bud, he's the one I want to win it most. Any time you've got a coach who's really hard on his players, yet they love him anyway ... that's a keeper. Some guys on here disagree. Don't care.

This is actually a pretty good scenario for the Vikings because they're getting ZERO respect. Vegas has us tied for the 8th-best odds to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Freaking 4-12 San Francisco is given the same odds as us. They have the damn 6-9-1 Packers significantly ahead of us. There is NO respect for this team. Yet this is, in my opinion, a BETTER roster than the 2018 team, which was 5th overall prior to the season, according to Vegas. The O-line is upgraded. Gary Kubiak is going to make a huge difference, which I've been saying since the day he was hired. And Mike Zimmer seems to do his best work when nobody respects his team. I love that people underestimate this team.

I seriously can't wait for the season. I'm going to the Oakland game on September 22nd. Hoping that game puts us at 3-0.
Kapp I can't agree more on every point you made. The only coach i have felt was better than Zim was Les Steckel. Now that man was a HOF coach!!! Haha. Now PLEASE realize that was stupid humor there.
I have watched the Vikes since Ol Bud was the coach, and I agree 100% that Zim is by far the best we have had since Bud. And if anyone is gonna be the coach to win the SB here I want it to be him.
I believe the old axiom that "A team takes on the persona and the personality of the head coach". I truly believe it. While watching interviews of Theilen and Diggs together, and Rhoades and Harry together in mini camp, you could just see and hear the chip on the shoulder and the voice in their heads , basically saying Go ahead and doubt us. Count us out and rate us low. We dont care , we know what we have here ... and its special, and we are gonna prove it where it matters, on the field.
Hmmm... who does that sound like? The guy who sat in his Kentucky ranch with different reporters and insiders at various times talking about how he loves being doubted and counted out. His interview with Pellisero at the ranch a few wks back was great. He made it clear that he has been the underdog his whole life. He also made it very clear that he thrives on that doubt and it motivates him. I love that grit and determination. And as i said its definitely rubbed off on the team.
I really wasnt suprised that Schrager picked us to win the North. I've actually seen other ones pick us. Florio, if course , cuz he has been a Vikes fan his whole life. On the. NFL Network I have heard several pick us to win the division, and and some even more. Eisen picked us to win it.
I heard David Carr pick us to win it, and felt if we stayed healthy , we had the opportunity to go all the way. Terrel Davis and James Jones were doing their NFC analysis. Of course Jones picked the Packers.. but he looked like a little kid trying to explain that the Playboy under his bed wasn't his and had no idea how it got there. He was basically saying outright that he was picking the Packers just because he is an ex Packer.
TD on the other hand was very adamant that the Vikes would win the division and would represent the NFC in the SB.
BUT.. thankfully the majority are picking the Bears and Packers ahead of us, and I want that. I want our players to have that fuel for that fire.
I truly believe from past experience in what I have seen Kubiak accomplish with his system from the running game and the way he uses the O line, thus opening up the opportunity for the passing game to flourish. It helps when you have a retired player who played in the system almost whole career telling me that its gonna do wonders for his old QB for his skill set, who just happens to be our QB.
So I guess that I also have that strong optimism about the upcoming season. I don't have a cocky we are gonna win it all attitude like some of my buddies are about their teams.. living here in Ohio SO many Browns fans have already started planning for the parade haha.
I just say we have a pretty decent team and hope we play to our potential. That's as far as I'm gonna go with it.
We have the players, we have the Head Coach, assistant coaches and a new O system that I personally feel will really allow us to showcase our playmakers. And if our D can just play to their potential, and I pray that the injuries elude this team... well, the sky is the limit.
And exactly like Zim said ... Someone has to win it all, WHY NOT US!!!
I hope this all made sense. It's almost 3 am, I'm awake, in some uncomfortable pain and on a script of pain pills from having some dental surgery. So if there is some stuff that doesn't make sense, I do have an excuse.
But to sum it all up.. i Love our team, I love and respect the hell out of Zim.. hey the guy even lives to hunt and fish, another HUGE plus in my book.. so I really hope in Feb he is standing on that stage, holding that Lombardi trophy with that grin of his saying Everyone doubted us but us. Now THAT would make this old Vikings die hard really a happy man. Oh, and the cherry on top would be to beat the Saints in the Championship game and then beat the Pats in the SB. Perfect scenario for me.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm
2015 and 2016 were far worse, but I get your point.
2016 was putrid. The 2015 line was definitely saved by Teddy Bridgewater and Adrian Peterson on his last good year.
2015 line was just as putrid. Peterson got every yard that year on his own.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 pm
I am surprised there aren't more as I think winning the NFC North is a real possibility.

For the Bears, there is just as good of a chance that Trubiskey is terrible this year as there is that he is great. The Bears also lost their DC, and that should set them back a bit on defense. The one thing they have going for them is a great draft(considering their picks) where they found an all around legit RB in the 3rd. Must be nice.

As for the Packers, Rodgers is showing his age and I don't like their HC. Did they add enough to go from 6-10 to division champs? Who is Rodgers going to throw to besides Adams?

The Lions will always suck.
As you say the Packers and Lions aren't threats at all. Vikings or Bears. I think we improved this offseason so much more than them. Also our record last year IMO was just a fluke. We will go 12-4 or better. 5-1 in the division. We just might win it all this year. Go Vikings. :govikes: :point:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

For those who think the Vikings offensive line showed no improvement against the Saints.

Watch this video.

This is Brian Baldinger's take. He played 12 years in the NFL as an offensive lineman, so I'll accept his testimony as "expert."
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Yeah, I watched that video. Is it just me, or is that one of the strangest analysis videos because of the way it's shot as someone is just recording off the TV with a handheld camera?

Anyway, I watched it and most of the focus of that analysis was on the same two positions I was watching - Bradbury at center and Elflein at right guard.

I'm not going to disagree with a guy like Baldinger for obvious reasons.

But...

No mention of the holding call that negated that "clean pocket" on the first throw to Diggs. If that doesn't happen, my guess is the pocket isn't so clean.

On the last play where Baldinger mentions that Bradbury sees Kline is having trouble and he shifts over to help, which is good, what isn't seen there is the blitzer who is coming clean in the space that Kline left open as he struggled. Cousins uncorked that one to Theilen for a big play, but it seems to me that the defense got exactly what they wanted there. They got both Bradbury and Kline to focus on one guy who opened up a wide gap for a blitzer, and they had the coverage downfield that they wanted. Theilen was covered on the play, but Cousins took a shot anyway and Theilen made a tough catch. But if you're the Saints, you got what you wanted there and the Vikings just managed to pull a rabbit out of their hat. If you're the Vikings, you have to realize that you probably got a little lucky on that one, and make sure the communication is in place so rushers can be handed off between linemen (Bradbury was not blocking anyone on that play, so if a rusher is coming into his space, he should be expected to see it and pick it up. I thought he was a little too focused in one direction and while he did get his body into the rusher, he was a little late on the pick up.) Kline had his head down and was fully committed to basically keeping his body on the rusher. He had no chance of releasing him to be picked up by Bradbury and recovering to keep some opposition in the space that he vacated. In short, if Cousins didn't release that ball when he did, he's toast because the unopposed rusher is going to cream him.

Also, there was no analysis of the aforementioned blitz on 3rd-and-9, which I would have liked to see mostly because that particular situation was a huge liability last year. It was mentioned that CJ Ham was slow to engage, but it sure seemed like it was a jailbreak across the line, and Cousins managed to find a seam and slip out of it into space to pick up the 1st with his legs. It didn't seem like just one guy was getting beaten as a blocker on that play.

I want the offensive line to be improved as much as anyone, and while I respect the fact that there were some signs of improvement in that first drive, and reasons to be optimistic that more improvement is possible and is likely as the season goes on, I also think its reasonable to be realistic about what we're actually seeing from the starting OL. So far, what we've seen does not justify any broad proclamations of great improvement, nor should anyone be confident the worst of the OL problems are behind the Vikings based on what we've seen so far.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK, let's take a look at that play. I've captured some screenshots off the NFL.com video.

Here's the snap. Bradbury is matched up against David Onyemata (93). Kline has Malcom Brown (90), and Hill has Trey Hendrickson (91). Way out to the right, Riley Reiff has Marcus Davenport (92). Demario Davis (56) is coming on a blitz up the middle

As Cousins receives the snap, Onyemata crosses over toward Pat Elflein, who immediately engages. It's pretty obvious this is designed to cause Elflein to take him, freeing Davis to come on the blitz. Everyone else has a hat on a hat. Kline is squared up with Brown, and the two edge rushers haven't reached the Vikings tackles yet. Davis has a lane to Cousins ... C.J. Ham recognizes, but he's not going to be able to quite get there.

The line is still holding up. Kline and Elflein are still engaged nicely and have good leverage. The edge rushers haven't yet engaged Hill or Reiff yet. But again, Davis is going to get his shoulders past C.J. Ham.

All the linemen are still firmly engaged with their rushers. Bradbury has slid to his right to help Kline with Brown. Even Hill is doing a good job. But Davis is past C.J. Ham and has his eyes set squarely on Cousins. However, C.J. is going to save it in the next frame.

The linemen for the Vikings still have solid position. Reiff is taking Davenport past Cousins ... Davenport is out of the play. Ham saves a sack by using Davis' momentum and pushing him beyond Cousins, who makes a nice move to avoid him. There's no jailbreak here. None.

Cousins has stepped up now, and there's nothing but green plastic grass in front of him. Ham has continued to engage Davis, who tries to reverse but can't get past Ham. The next closest guy is Davenport, who is 2.5 yards behind Cousins and out of the play.

Cousins is gone. Elflein, in particular, has done a great job, never losing contact with his man. Brown lunges for Cousins but has no chance. With the DBs in man, they all have their backs turned. Cousins rambles for the first down.

Please, please tell me where the huge breakdown was on this play. There's no jailbreak. This is solid O-line play. It's absolutely inarguable.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Next time you can try imgur, shouldn’t have any watermarks.

Ham has been a bit disappointing in pass protection and I don’t think is a lock to make the team. If you watch the Mike Boone run, Blasingame shows a ton of hustle. I didn’t pay much attention to him in the first game but will try to watch him closer against Seattle.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:34 am Next time you can try imgur, shouldn’t have any watermarks.

Ham has been a bit disappointing in pass protection and I don’t think is a lock to make the team. If you watch the Mike Boone run, Blasingame shows a ton of hustle. I didn’t pay much attention to him in the first game but will try to watch him closer against Seattle.
Thank you. Went to imgur and replaced. That looks much better!

Don't know about Ham getting cut, but it looks like he didn't do a good job on this play. Cousins has him set up on that side, probably anticipating the blitz, and he's looking right at Davis. Ham is lucky Davis didn't blow up Cousins.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:07 am
S197 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:34 am Next time you can try imgur, shouldn’t have any watermarks.

Thank you. Went to imgur and replaced. That looks much better!

Don't know about Ham getting cut, but it looks like he didn't do a good job on this play. Cousins has him set up on that side, probably anticipating the blitz, and he's looking right at Davis. Ham is lucky Davis didn't blow up Cousins.
No problem, thanks for putting in the work to break the play down. Photobucket used to be great but really went downhill several years ago.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IMO I think Jerry Burns was a better coach. He took us on the road to the NFC championship and a dropped pass ended that hope. Hitting the road is hard to do in the playoffs. He had 3 games of it that year. But our team played hard every week. Zimmer took us to the Champ game on the road but the team didn't even show up for the game. I understand getting beat but I don't understand not even playing hard. It's for the trophy. That comes down to coaching. Don't sit back and take the beating fight back. I also don't like having a new OC every year. That's beyond stupid. Now we have 1 and 1/2 or something OCs. What is that? Basically telling the guy you hired "you need some help because I don't think your good enough" We have a very good team I don't doubt that. Zimmer needs to make it happen. Speilman has given him all the tools including the best QB we have had since Fran. We have one of the best Ds, a very good QB, 2 top flight WR, a pro bowl TE, dynamic back and so on. There are no excuses. How many coaches get that? Not many. Get it done.
Tbolt
Waterboy

Post by Tbolt »

What’s it going to take for Sloter to get recognized as the second best QB on the team? In 10 preseason games he’s 9TDs 0 int’s. Does he need to save someone from a burning building?