Vikings trade for Vedvik

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings trade for Vedvik

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 pm Wasn't Wile one of the few legitimate bright spots for the team last season? He helped tilt field position a few times , including against the Bears in the last game. I could be wrong but I thought he did quote well.
You are correct.

However, if cutting a good punter means you have a good option at pk if Bailey struggles, you cut the good punter.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 pm Wasn't Wile one of the few legitimate bright spots for the team last season? He helped tilt field position a few times , including against the Bears in the last game. I could be wrong but I thought he did quote well.
You are correct.

However, if cutting a good punter means you have a good option at pk if Bailey struggles, you cut the good punter.
Good point.

Speaking of McDermott, someone on Facebook mentioned that they thought he was part of the reason for the kicking struggles. I'm not going to pretend to know enough about long snapping to make that claim, however it us an interesting point. We talked about Priefer being a common denominator, but actually so was McDermott. I'm not necessarily agreeing with it or disagreeing with it, but it is an interesting take that I had never thought of.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 am

You are correct.

Good point.

Speaking of McDermott, someone on Facebook mentioned that they thought he was part of the reason for the kicking struggles. I'm not going to pretend to know enough about long snapping to make that claim, however it us an interesting point. We talked about Priefer being a common denominator, but actually so was McDermott. I'm not necessarily agreeing with it or disagreeing with it, but it is an interesting take that I had never thought of.
So far in practice Bailey has missed more often on Cutting snaps than on McDermott snaps. I have high hopes for Cutting, but that is the way it went.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Apparently punting and kicking is too much strain for one person so it doesn't seem like this was a move to open a roster spot. Also, you're kinda screwed if your guy ever gets injured as now you're looking for both a punter and a kicker to replace in short notice.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Based on the reports from camp today, the guy is legit. He's got a big leg (proportional to the rest of his body) and impressed with his yardage and hang time with punts and was nailing some 60-yarders with field goals. Said the longest he's hit was from 70 :shock:

But I love how we've been screwing with multiple long-snappers (miss you already McDermott!) and multiple holders. From a group you need to really get time and reps and have it be automatic I'm sure this won't come back to bite us at all this season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

dead_poet wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 pm Based on the reports from camp today, the guy is legit. He's got a big leg (proportional to the rest of his body) and impressed with his yardage and hang time with punts and was nailing some 60-yarders with field goals. Said the longest he's hit was from 70 :shock:

But I love how we've been screwing with multiple long-snappers (miss you already McDermott!) and multiple holders. From a group you need to really get time and reps and have it be automatic I'm sure this won't come back to bite us at all this season.
You hit the nail on the head. Still messing with long snappers. Absolute joke.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Isn't Cutting the only LS now?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm Isn't Cutting the only LS now?
That's what I thought. How many holders we using? 6?
I heard that Bailey was 6-6 on FGs in practice today. Wonder if it was Vedvik holding.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@CourtneyRCronin
2h
So far today, Dan Bailey is 4-for-4 in kicks today, including a 54 yard FG just now. Chad Beebe has held on all 4 kicks.
Was 7 for 7 today.

@christomasson
3h
Vikings WR Chad Beebe holds for Dan Bailey kick with Matt Wile having hurt finger kick is good and Kaare Vedvik takes kickoff
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 pm
I heard that Bailey was 6-6 on FGs in practice today. Wonder if it was Vedvik holding.
Or maybe it was simply Vedvik being on the field.

Nothing motivates a man quite like the threat of losing his job.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Vedvik was long snapping. Let's be positive there's no need to worry and the LS/Holder combination. That can be cleared up right before opening day kickoff. This is setting up to be a cluster F and will bite us. Then Zim acting surprised about the trade and having no idea what position he would play. If in fact he was surprised then that's a bigger issue and not a good sign.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 am
Vedvik was long snapping. Let's be positive there's no need to worry and the LS/Holder combination. That can be cleared up right before opening day kickoff. This is setting up to be a cluster F and will bite us. Then Zim acting surprised about the trade and having no idea what position he would play. If in fact he was surprised then that's a bigger issue and not a good sign.
The dude they just traded for was snapping?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:20 am
I don't think so. Possibly holding. The second preseason game should be interesting to watch.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:04 pm
Or maybe it was simply Vedvik being on the field.

Nothing motivates a man quite like the threat of losing his job.
Wouldn't that be more pressure causing Bailey to choke?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

dead_poet wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:46 am

I don't think so. Possibly holding. The second preseason game should be interesting to watch.
The part about long snapping was a joke. I'm 99.99% certain.