Trent Williams to be traded

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Trent Williams to be traded

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Trent Williams being traded.

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Redskins are "having trade discussions" regarding holdout LT Trent Williams.

Howe notes the Patriots are expected to be in the mix if Williams is made available. Williams has stated he will not play again for the Redskins, so Washington may now be willing to deal the 31-year-old after signing OT Donald Penn. Health has always been Williams' biggest obstacle, but when on the field he's truly an elite left tackle. There would be plenty of suitors. Williams is under contract the next two seasons at base salaries of $11 million and $12.5 million.

Related: New England Patriots

Source: Jeff Howe on Twitter

Jul 31, 2019, 12:53 PM ET

I think the Vikings are a perfect fit to trade for him. They can send Reiff to replace him along with Treadwell for Salary match and perhaps a 2nd round pick.
Edit: Did they acquire Penn with the sole purpose of trading Williams away? Or would they still want Reiff to replace Williams?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Trent Williams to be traded

Post by YikesVikes »

I'm begging for this to happen. Please, do it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

But how?

Trent Williams cap hit is already $3 million more than Reiff's, and Williams is holding out for more.

Where are we going to get the cap space? Even if we trade Treadwell, now we're back to even ... with Williams wanting more.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I will try and find out everything on this situation as possible. Like I've said here before, one of William's teammates and best friend is from my hometown, is now retired and lives back here. I talk with him often, and I work with his older brother and talk every day. As a matter of fact we just made our bet for the Vikes /Skins thursday night Oct 24th game, which will be on my birthday. So i will talk to him tomorrow and have him ask his brother what he knows.
Will post as soon as I hear something.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I will try and find out everything on this situation as possible. Like I've said here before, one of William's teammates and best friend is from my hometown, is now retired and lives back here. I talk with him often, and I work with his older brother and talk every day. As a matter of fact we just made our bet for the Vikes /Skins thursday night Oct 24th game, which will be on my birthday. So i will talk to him tomorrow and have him ask his brother what he knows.
Will post as soon as I hear something.

I just texted his brother. Hes gonna find out if his brother knows anything yet.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Sorry posted that wrong. I just texted his brother, he texted right back and said he will find out what his brother knows about the Williams situation.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

This type of situation right here is why the Vikings signed Theilen to an extension two years before they needed too.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm This type of situation right here is why the Vikings signed Theilen to an extension two years before they needed too.
Really, all of our players except for Barr were signed well ahead of time.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:32 pm But how?

Trent Williams cap hit is already $3 million more than Reiff's, and Williams is holding out for more.

Where are we going to get the cap space? Even if we trade Treadwell, now we're back to even ... with Williams wanting more.
What makes you think he is holding out for more money? Nothing has said that. Will more money solve the problem, possibly but his problems with the Skins has always been about his injury.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:02 am

What makes you think he is holding out for more money? Nothing has said that. Will more money solve the problem, possibly but his problems with the Skins has always been about his injury.
Alot of his issue is a misdiagnosis of a health situation and a lack of trust in the health staff in Washington, and friction with coaching staff. Trust me I know this for sure. Hoping to get more info today on what teams hes talking to.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Um ... a bad assumption on my part?

Sorry. I just saw his name on the holdout list and assumed. There's a saying about that word.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:34 am

Um ... a bad assumption on my part?

Sorry. I just saw his name on the holdout list and assumed. There's a saying about that word.
Seems unlikely concerns with the medical staff would be the only reason he would request to be moved. That is probably a reason, and the reason he would give to a friend, but I suspect he wants more guaranteed money.

If the medical staff in DC is that bad I can understand why.

What that means for the Vikes is that they could afford him if they gave him an extension and Reiff was included in the deal. LT is the least of my concerns on the line though, and at least Reiff has been relatively injury free for two seasons.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Reiff is 30 years old. So he is younger and probably cheaper. Reiff also has the added value of familiarity with most of the other players / coaches on account of having played here the past two seasons. There has been no indication that from a culture / locker room standpoint he isn't a good fit. Reiff isn't Tyrone Smith, but he has been solid in his time with the team. So is Williams incrementally that much better than Reiff to justify this move? Given our Cap situation and Reiff's current level of play on the field it seems like Williams would need to be quite a bit better to justify such a move. Is he?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am Reiff is 30 years old. So he is younger and probably cheaper. Reiff also has the added value of familiarity with most of the other players / coaches on account of having played here the past two seasons. There has been no indication that from a culture / locker room standpoint he isn't a good fit. Reiff isn't Tyrone Smith, but he has been solid in his time with the team. So is Williams incrementally that much better than Reiff to justify this move? Given our Cap situation and Reiff's current level of play on the field it seems like Williams would need to be quite a bit better to justify such a move. Is he?
It's not worth it at this point. How good is he really? Penn who I think we had can replace him? Besides we are already set with our guys. It will have to do for now. Not enough time to start over.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am Reiff is 30 years old. So he is younger and probably cheaper. Reiff also has the added value of familiarity with most of the other players / coaches on account of having played here the past two seasons. There has been no indication that from a culture / locker room standpoint he isn't a good fit. Reiff isn't Tyrone Smith, but he has been solid in his time with the team. So is Williams incrementally that much better than Reiff to justify this move? Given our Cap situation and Reiff's current level of play on the field it seems like Williams would need to be quite a bit better to justify such a move. Is he?
He is one of the best LTs in the NFL, but Reiff is probably good enough. Plus O'Neil's true position is probably LT. Considering it might take a 2nd to make this trade happen, I wouldn't like this move at all.