Who had the best draft class of 2019 in the NFC North?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Who had the best draft class of 2019 in the NFC North?

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:38 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 am I like what the Bears are doing and I hate it...I feel that Trubisky isn't the guy though, at least not right now. This is Minnesota's season, with this current team. Window is done after this. They will need to get substantially younger on defense, especially.
I felt Trubisky wasn't the guy either until I looked up his stats. I know stats aren't everything, but the kid did better than I thought and was surprised. I was labeling him as just so so. He's a young guy and could go up which is scary for me. The Bears also play D the way I like to see it. They create TOs. I also agree with the window closing. Last year Griff and Rhodes didn't do a thing. That's two very good players. But they aren't kids anymore. Are they done? Can they get there stuff back? It could go either way if it goes south that's big trouble for us. I do like Jaleel Johnson DT and I'm hoping he can push for the starting spot. That would be a great lift for us.
Don't be fooled by the stats. He might end up being a good QB, but those stats are more than likely a product of the system he ran.

I am honestly unsure of his trajectory as a QB. I don't like his accuracy at all, but he wasn't exactly horrible last year.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm
I felt Trubisky wasn't the guy either until I looked up his stats. I know stats aren't everything, but the kid did better than I thought and was surprised. I was labeling him as just so so. He's a young guy and could go up which is scary for me. The Bears also play D the way I like to see it. They create TOs. I also agree with the window closing. Last year Griff and Rhodes didn't do a thing. That's two very good players. But they aren't kids anymore. Are they done? Can they get there stuff back? It could go either way if it goes south that's big trouble for us. I do like Jaleel Johnson DT and I'm hoping he can push for the starting spot. That would be a great lift for us.
Don't be fooled by the stats. He might end up being a good QB, but those stats are more than likely a product of the system he ran.

I am honestly unsure of his trajectory as a QB. I don't like his accuracy at all, but he wasn't exactly horrible last year.
[/quo
I'm not fooled by the stats they are what they are. 24 TDs 12 ints. Certainly not Brady and 52 TDs. But that was an improvement over his pitiful rookie year. I hope he's the next Keenum a bum but I don't see that. He has the better physical skills. At least he can throw the ball with some velocity. He took a step up and avoided the sophomore slump. Like I said I hope he blows. I hope our young guy Sloter develops like that. If he is then he should be our backup this year. If he isn't then he probably blows and will be gone. Just give him the right system I guess and he might be very good.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 am

I'm not fooled by the stats they are what they are. 24 TDs 12 ints. Certainly not Brady and 52 TDs. But that was an improvement over his pitiful rookie year. I hope he's the next Keenum a bum but I don't see that. He has the better physical skills. At least he can throw the ball with some velocity. He took a step up and avoided the sophomore slump. Like I said I hope he blows. I hope our young guy Sloter develops like that. If he is then he should be our backup this year. If he isn't then he probably blows and will be gone. Just give him the right system I guess and he might be very good.
In all likelihood this is Sloter's last year in purple. He is a FA next year, and if he is as good as some of the scouts on Vikings message boards think he is, we won't be able to afford him.
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Yeah as it is either they were picked to come down clutch, or looking at the long run vs short run.
Ready for Halloween
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

For all those saying we screwed up drafting Mattison instead of Hakeem Butler.

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com projects Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella as the team's top three wideouts.
So essentially Urban expects Isabella to start over fellow rookie Hakeem Butler. In fact, Urban made no mention of Butler, suggesting he could be as low as sixth on the team's receiving depth chart behind Kevin White and Damiere Byrd. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but from the looks of it, Butler has some serious ground to make up if he wants to make a year-one impact.
Related: Hakeem Butler
Source: azcardinals.com
Jun 27, 2019, 2:36 PM ET
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 am For all those saying we screwed up drafting Mattison instead of Hakeem Butler.

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com projects Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and Andy Isabella as the team's top three wideouts.
So essentially Urban expects Isabella to start over fellow rookie Hakeem Butler. In fact, Urban made no mention of Butler, suggesting he could be as low as sixth on the team's receiving depth chart behind Kevin White and Damiere Byrd. Obviously nothing is set in stone, but from the looks of it, Butler has some serious ground to make up if he wants to make a year-one impact.
Based on my history of watching football WR is a tough position to crack year one. Butler has problems catching a football on a consistent basis. That's why he dropped in the draft. For a WR that's a major problem. But I like this Mattison pick. There are some that feel he is slow and selecting him before round 5 was a huge mistake. The guy had a productive career and he can take the hand offs. He isn't a home run hitter but he's a guy that can bang inside and the first guy usually doesn't bring him down. He's a work horse back. We need him to step up and I think he can this year. RB is a position that accepts rookies.We will need this guy because Cook will miss time.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 am For all those saying we screwed up drafting Mattison instead of Hakeem Butler.

Yeah I saw that too. I think Mattison will prove some people wrong this year. Who knows, it could be me. But I think Mattison is a perfect complement to go with dalvin cook and can carry the load effectively if needed IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 am
In all likelihood this is Sloter's last year in purple. He is a FA next year, and if he is as good as some of the scouts on Vikings message boards think he is, we won't be able to afford him.
Teams can afford any player they want to keep. Sloter is a big time project. He needs more than a system. Even if he hits the FA market he won't get big time money. Elway cut him and Speilman took a chance. I felt this was a smart move because the guy has the physical skills including decent arm.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:13 am

Teams can afford any player they want to keep. Sloter is a big time project. He needs more than a system. Even if he hits the FA market he won't get big time money. Elway cut him and Speilman took a chance. I felt this was a smart move because the guy has the physical skills including decent arm.
Why wouldn't he get decent money? Haven't teams watched his 4th qtr heroics in the preseason? Don't they know all about this talent he supposedly has?

The guy isn't even the backup at this point on the depth chart. Can we stop talking about him as some successor to Cousins? He ain't it.

Vikings fans and their obsession with the third string QB...
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:50 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:18 am
Why wouldn't he get decent money? Haven't teams watched his 4th qtr heroics in the preseason? Don't they know all about this talent he supposedly has?

The guy isn't even the backup at this point on the depth chart. Can we stop talking about him as some successor to Cousins? He ain't it.

Vikings fans and their obsession with the third string QB...
Your making stuff up. I never mentioned a successor to anything. I stated he is a big time project. If he makes backup by his 5th year it will be a shock. He is here based on physical ability and to learn as a 3rd stringer. Its better than some stiff with zero arm and limited physical ability. Like Keenum. Yes he can run but he has no other physical ability. He's short, no arm and just not enough size.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm late to getting back to this since I posted, but this pretty much sums up my thoughts. He made some plays last season and he was also consistently erratic in spots throughout the season. It's not the first time the NFL has seen a 2nd year quarterback improve a great deal from their rookie season and the consensus assumption is, "he's only getting better from here," when ultimately, a lot of those guys regress when defensive coaches adapt or the team surrounding that Q doesn't offer the same support in the following year(s).
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm late to getting back to this since I posted, but this pretty much sums up my thoughts. He made some plays last season and he was also consistently erratic in spots throughout the season. It's not the first time the NFL has seen a 2nd year quarterback improve a great deal from their rookie season and the consensus assumption is, "he's only getting better from here," when ultimately, a lot of those guys regress when defensive coaches adapt or the team surrounding that Q doesn't offer the same support in the following year(s).
Your correct. Obviously he was horrible as a rookie QB. No doubt there. Most are except Marino of course. But he did improve enough to lead his team to the playoffs. That's impressive. Because I think that O lacks weapons. Off the top of my head I can't think of a game breaking WR or a multi talented RB that will drop a bomb on you. I think they signed Coradelle. That tells all that needs to be said. I know he is a super bowl winner but he blows as a player. Can't catch or run a route ect.... Doesn't have a position. So his improvement will be harder due to the lack of top flight help.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Your correct. Obviously he was horrible as a rookie QB. No doubt there. Most are except Marino of course. But he did improve enough to lead his team to the playoffs. That's impressive. Because I think that O lacks weapons. Off the top of my head I can't think of a game breaking WR or a multi talented RB that will drop a bomb on you. I think they signed Coradelle. That tells all that needs to be said. I know he is a super bowl winner but he blows as a player. Can't catch or run a route ect.... Doesn't have a position. So his improvement will be harder due to the lack of top flight help.
Allen Robinson is a very good WRs who had 1400 yards receiving with Blake Bortles throwing to him. Gabriel is a solid WR and they have some solid TEs and a good RB corp. On top of that, their HC is excellent at highlighting the strengths of his QB while hiding the flaws. That Oline might be the best in the NFC North as well. Basically he has everything going for him as a QB, and no excuse for not taking the next step this season.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am
CharVike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am
Who did we add that is as good as Mack. Of course they paid a price. You expect to get a player like that for nothing. They also picked a back this year that's pretty good. Certainly not elite. That wasn't available this year but he will start for them. We got one starter with the center selected. The TE we drafted has some nice skills no doubt about that. But it looks like Rudy is still the main man. That's staying still. No improvement at all and probably a step backwards. We also needed a WR and didn't draft one until very late. We added some players no doubt. But I don't see late picks starting and are there for depth if they make the team. So I see both of us getting one instant starter. But Mack is a very good player. Teams need to be aware of him. We didn't draft that. We picked to high and Bosa was gone. I'll be nice and label it a wash.
If you think Montgomery improves the Bears as much as the combination of Bradbury, Smith, Mattison and Samia improves the Vikings, I simply don't know how to respond other than to say we Buried them in this draft and we will be better than they are.
I turned out to be right that we ended up better than the Bears despite getting swept by the Bears. The first loss was our worst game of the season and the second we didn't play our actual team. Looking at the first year impact of last years draft it was OK. If players like Samia, Udoh and Watts step up and Bradbury improves on a poor first year despite getting 16 starts I will consider it a good draft. This year will reveal a lot about the true value of last years draft.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am
If you think Montgomery improves the Bears as much as the combination of Bradbury, Smith, Mattison and Samia improves the Vikings, I simply don't know how to respond other than to say we Buried them in this draft and we will be better than they are.
I turned out to be right that we ended up better than the Bears despite getting swept by the Bears. The first loss was our worst game of the season and the second we didn't play our actual team. Looking at the first year impact of last years draft it was OK. If players like Samia, Udoh and Watts step up and Bradbury improves on a poor first year despite getting 16 starts I will consider it a good draft. This year will reveal a lot about the true value of last years draft.
Mattison was solid, but Bradbury was PFF's worst starting center in the NFL, Smith caught for about 200 yards, and Samia barely played.

We didn't get better in 2019 as much as the Bears' QB regressed, and Hicks got hurt. If Turdbiscuit isn't the worst QB full time starting QB in the NFL, they probably still have a shot at the WC over us, even with Hicks' injury.

However, all 4 of those guys can, and probably will improve this year, making a larger impact on the team. Which is what we realistically should be hoping for with all the draft picks that are going to need to start this coming season. Maybe they don't play as good as the guy they replaced in 2020, but in 2021 we should be a better team.