Good write up on Vikes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Good write up on Vikes

Post by CharVike »

Minnesota Vikings: Don't let a disappointing 2018 campaign overshadow the potential of the sleeping giant residing in the Twin Cities. While there was plenty of hate spewed in Kirk Cousins' direction for the way things turned out in his first season after signing a blockbuster deal, the Vikings should feel good about his chances of performing like a top-10 quarterback in an offense being overseen by coordinator Kevin Stefanski and advisor Gary Kubiak. The system places a premium on the running game -- something Minnesota didn't do enough of last season, much to Mike Zimmer's dismay -- and complementary aerial attack. With Dalvin Cook healthy and ready to add sizzle to the running game as a stretch (outside zone) runner, Cousins could terrorize opponents with timely dimes to Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Defensively, the Vikings have more than enough playmakers (Danielle Hunter, Everson Griffen, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Harrison Smith, and Xavier Rhodes) to win nip-and-tuck battles that are traditionally won with the defense on the field. If the Vikings can learn how to play complementary ball in each of the game's three phases, Zimmer's team could be standing in the winner's circle at the end of the season.

Bottom line we will compete. We have a tough road in front of us but we played some good ball especially when considering the bad stuff that happened. I'm also reading some good things about the center we drafted. That would be sweat if he can come in and help solidify the OL. And I do think that will happen. I also like the TE and RB we picked. The RB will need to help us this year and the TE is an exciting prospect who can move. We do have some trouble spots but all teams have that. Obviously WR is a concern and CB could be if Rhodes don't bounce back to prior form. Injuries as always will be a huge factor also.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Good write up on Vikes

Post by S197 »

I think the key is to survive the first half of the season. If the Vikings can do well in the first 8 games (especially with a new OL, Hill on suspension and Hughes not 100%) and come out relatively healthy, the back half of the season is a lot more forgiving. Agree with the article that the run game, and the ability to stop the run on D, is going to be crucial. Can't wait for the season to start.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I forgot to mention the OL. Can't be any worse than last year. And should be improved. The road will be hard. The Bears have a good team and the Pack is still the Rodgers show. But he's as good as it gets. That's 4 tough games right there. As I get old my expectations don't get as high as they use to. Anything could happen and it wouldn't surprise me.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 pm I think the key is to survive the first half of the season. If the Vikings can do well in the first 8 games (especially with a new OL, Hill on suspension and Hughes not 100%) and come out relatively healthy, the back half of the season is a lot more forgiving. Agree with the article that the run game, and the ability to stop the run on D, is going to be crucial. Can't wait for the season to start.
We have a tough road no doubt. Very few breathers. We do have a good team. But we need to play well every week and that's a tall order..
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It occurred to me today, if Treadwell doesn't make the roster, we wouldn't have a receiver drafted higher than the 5th round. Early indications are Treadwell has lost reps to Jordan Taylor and Beebe, both UDFAs. Zylstra is also undrafted and probably the #5 WR. I think Treadwell likely makes the team due to his high dead cap and also the fact that he only needs to beat out a pair of 7th rounders. But if he doesn't, would the Vikings be the only team with a 5th and lower squad of receivers? That's both amazing and scary at the same time.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:49 am It occurred to me today, if Treadwell doesn't make the roster, we wouldn't have a receiver drafted higher than the 5th round. Early indications are Treadwell has lost reps to Jordan Taylor and Beebe, both UDFAs. Zylstra is also undrafted and probably the #5 WR. I think Treadwell likely makes the team due to his high dead cap and also the fact that he only needs to beat out a pair of 7th rounders. But if he doesn't, would the Vikings be the only team with a 5th and lower squad of receivers? That's both amazing and scary at the same time.
Treadwell has been a bust to date. However I'm still holding out hope that the light comes on. The biggest problem I see is the lack of speed and the ability to separate and find open spots. I stated on another post WR is a tough position and it usually takes time for guys to get it. Jake Reed did nothing for 3 years and injuries were part of the problem and it gave them an excuse to stash him. Of course Reed had much better physical skills. I'm still holding out some hope even though it's not looking good right now. Maybe Kub can get the best out of him. He's been through enough clowns since being drafted. That was a huge impact in itself. Each year a new system, terminology and all the other stuff. It would be a tremendous uplift for us if he contributes.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

On OP: I agree entirely. A lot will come down to the effectiveness of the offensive staff to install their system and find success early.

On Treadwell: Even if Treadwell turns it on he is extremely likely to be a cap casualty. They are not going to pay three WR their second contract, they can't afford it.I suspect the only way he remains a Vikings after 2019 (assuming he survives camp cuts this year) is if he outshines Theilen or Diggs, a very tall order.

I think the Vikings know this and are probably in a situation where unless Treadwell is materially better than his competition, they will likely favor giving reps to guys that are far more cap friendly to retain. Treadwell faces an uphill battle to win reps this season for this reason alone, then you add in that the other guys down the depth chart are not that far behind him in terms of on the field productivity and the it looks grim.

They might keep him as insurance since I think if they cut him it doesn't do much for the cap this year, but I highly doubt he is back in purple next year.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Treadwell is tough because cutting him only saves $650k and carries $2.5M in dead cap. But I think at best he needs a change of scenery and at worse he's a bust. In either case I agree he isn't here next year.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 pm Treadwell is tough because cutting him only saves $650k and carries $2.5M in dead cap. But I think at best he needs a change of scenery and at worse he's a bust. In either case I agree he isn't here next year.
It is a sunk cost at this point. No reason to even consider the dead cap if he isn't going to contribute.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I aint scared of no Bears we gon sweep them punks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:01 pm I forgot to mention the OL. Can't be any worse than last year. And should be improved. The road will be hard. The Bears have a good team and the Pack is still the Rodgers show. But he's as good as it gets. That's 4 tough games right there. As I get old my expectations don't get as high as they use to. Anything could happen and it wouldn't surprise me.
I'm expecting the Vikings to go 5-1 in the division. Only lose the one because $hit happens.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:58 am Minnesota Vikings: Don't let a disappointing 2018 campaign overshadow the potential of the sleeping giant residing in the Twin Cities. While there was plenty of hate spewed in Kirk Cousins' direction for the way things turned out in his first season after signing a blockbuster deal, the Vikings should feel good about his chances of performing like a top-10 quarterback in an offense being overseen by coordinator Kevin Stefanski and advisor Gary Kubiak. The system places a premium on the running game -- something Minnesota didn't do enough of last season, much to Mike Zimmer's dismay -- and complementary aerial attack. With Dalvin Cook healthy and ready to add sizzle to the running game as a stretch (outside zone) runner, Cousins could terrorize opponents with timely dimes to Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Defensively, the Vikings have more than enough playmakers (Danielle Hunter, Everson Griffen, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Harrison Smith, and Xavier Rhodes) to win nip-and-tuck battles that are traditionally won with the defense on the field. If the Vikings can learn how to play complementary ball in each of the game's three phases, Zimmer's team could be standing in the winner's circle at the end of the season.

Bottom line we will compete. We have a tough road in front of us but we played some good ball especially when considering the bad stuff that happened. I'm also reading some good things about the center we drafted. That would be sweat if he can come in and help solidify the OL. And I do think that will happen. I also like the TE and RB we picked. The RB will need to help us this year and the TE is an exciting prospect who can move. We do have some trouble spots but all teams have that. Obviously WR is a concern and CB could be if Rhodes don't bounce back to prior form. Injuries as always will be a huge factor also.
This was Bucky Brooks right?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

They are a solid team and are more than capable of winning 10 games and making the playoffs. Coaching changes should make the offense at least a little better, and Griffen being 100% and not being a distraction should make the D better.

I am curious as to how people feel this roster compares to other good teams around the league though. If there are still 8 teams ahead of us, lets say, did we get good enough to compete for a Super Bowl? I personally am tired of playoff runs that end before the SB, and want more from my team.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:33 pm
S197 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 pm Treadwell is tough because cutting him only saves $650k and carries $2.5M in dead cap. But I think at best he needs a change of scenery and at worse he's a bust. In either case I agree he isn't here next year.
It is a sunk cost at this point. No reason to even consider the dead cap if he isn't going to contribute.
True, I just think at $650 you're not saving much as even the rookies will make $500 or so. If he gets outplayed then for sure he should be cut but it seems like a pretty easy path for him unless they're really afraid of stashing a guy on the PS.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I wonder how many WRs the Vikes will keep on the roster this year.....as others have stated the 3rd WR isn't emphasized in the Kubiak offense. And there is a lot of young competition at OL, DL, LB. Will they be willing to cut someone like Aviante Collins or risk stashing someone like Watts or Hercules on the Practice squad to keep a 6th WR?