Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What (pre-determined) grade do you give this years draft?

A
19%
B
55%
C
21%
D
2%
F
2%

Total votes: 42

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:00 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 am
He's a football player. 2nd team all American and Big 12 OL of the year. 4th round bargain.
I know he's a football player and I liked the pick. Good developmental guy. He has the tools Kub wants. I don't even pay attention to a bench press. The better technique the more weight you can lift. Zero correlation between that and playing football. Just look up the best of all time bench press guys. They delivered pizza instead of blows for an NFL team.
Bench press and football strength are often very different. Shorter Arms help a lot and that I'm sure contributed to the amount of reps that Bradbury was able to do. At Samia's arm length he did well getting up 28.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:16 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:00 am
I know he's a football player and I liked the pick. Good developmental guy. He has the tools Kub wants. I don't even pay attention to a bench press. The better technique the more weight you can lift. Zero correlation between that and playing football. Just look up the best of all time bench press guys. They delivered pizza instead of blows for an NFL team.
Bench press and football strength are often very different. Shorter Arms help a lot and that I'm sure contributed to the amount of reps that Bradbury was able to do. At Samia's arm length he did well getting up 28.
Bench press is fine and dandy. Some people that lift the most weight can't play football. I pay no attention to an athletic drill. A 20 cone drill. Who gives a rats ####.To me when he swings his arm sideways does he move guys or do they stuff him. Film tells that story not an athletic drill. Samia is a great weight lifter but he struggles at the point of attack because bigger guys push him around. His lack of base strength is why he wasn't a 1st round pick. People knock him off the point. He can't hold the spot yet. That don't cut it in my book. But he could develop with more time and better technique.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:11 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:16 pm
Bench press is fine and dandy. Some people that lift the most weight can't play football. I pay no attention to an athletic drill. A 20 cone drill. Who gives a rats ####.To me when he swings his arm sideways does he move guys or do they stuff him. Film tells that story not an athletic drill. Samia is a great weight lifter but he struggles at the point of attack because bigger guys push him around. His lack of base strength is why he wasn't a 1st round pick. People knock him off the point. He can't hold the spot yet. That don't cut it in my book. But he could develop with more time and better technique.
We got him in the 4th round. Good value. People must not have knocked him off the point very often or he wouldn't have been Big12 OL of the year. He must have held the spot pretty well or he wouldn't have been 2nd team All American. His base strength is just fine. I think you have extremely unrealistic expectations. You are correct. Our 4th round draft pick isn't quite an all pro yet, however IMO he should be able to help our OL this year. I'm not asking or expecting any more than that right now.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:11 pm
We got him in the 4th round. Good value. People must not have knocked him off the point very often or he wouldn't have been Big12 OL of the year. He must have held the spot pretty well or he wouldn't have been 2nd team All American. His base strength is just fine. I think you have extremely unrealistic expectations. You are correct. Our 4th round draft pick isn't quite an all pro yet, however IMO he should be able to help our OL this year. I'm not asking or expecting any more than that right now.
It was a good value pick. I'm not denying that. But he fell to the 4th round for a reason(s). From what I read he lacks the base right now. People also win awards for different reasons. Namath is in the HOF because????? He's a great marketer. The guy threw more ints than TDs. Had a losing record. Here's my expectation. He will make the team like Isodora did. But I don't expect him to play this year.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:07 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 am
It was a good value pick. I'm not denying that. But he fell to the 4th round for a reason(s). From what I read he lacks the base right now. People also win awards for different reasons. Namath is in the HOF because????? He's a great marketer. The guy threw more ints than TDs. Had a losing record. Here's my expectation. He will make the team like Isodora did. But I don't expect him to play this year.
I'm going to put his odds on playing this year at about 90% for. Might just be special teams or something, but I bet he gets on the field. As for taking snaps on the O line at some point I would put that at about 75% likely. You admit he was a good value pick, but it seems you are still complaining about him and doubting him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It's tough to grade anything at this juncture but one thing I'm very glad for is it looks like they decided on the starting OL day 1 of OTAs. That constant juggling of players and positions throughout camp was ridiculous last year. Granted some was injury related but it was still baffling how long the staff took to figure it out. Hopefully starting this early builds some continuity for the new scheme.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:25 am It's tough to grade anything at this juncture but one thing I'm very glad for is it looks like they decided on the starting OL day 1 of OTAs. That constant juggling of players and positions throughout camp was ridiculous last year. Granted some was injury related but it was still baffling how long the staff took to figure it out. Hopefully starting this early builds some continuity for the new scheme.
That is good that they know the starting 5. We are basically starting from the beginning with a new O. This is a tremendous challenge and the quicker they know the starting 5 the more time they will have to jell.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:07 pm
I'm going to put his odds on playing this year at about 90% for. Might just be special teams or something, but I bet he gets on the field. As for taking snaps on the O line at some point I would put that at about 75% likely. You admit he was a good value pick, but it seems you are still complaining about him and doubting him.
He's a developmental guy. Yes you can say that's doubting him. We can go with that. I also said it was a great value pick. I know complaining. I pointed out why he fell to the 4th round. Don't take that as no 4th rounders ever play or will never become HOFers. I'm not stating that. There are plenty of undrafted players that have had great careers. Tom Brady the best QB of the modern area and maybe of all time was a 5th round pick. However the odds go down the later you pick. I liked the Isodora pick and was hoping he could take over year 2, complaining, but he can't crack this garbage line and probably never will. Doubting. We need this guy to start day 1 and be a good player. That will help us big time, But I don't expect that to happen. It's unrealistic. Call it doubt or complaining on my part. I'm just being fair to the kid.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 am
He's a developmental guy. Yes you can say that's doubting him. We can go with that. I also said it was a great value pick. I know complaining. I pointed out why he fell to the 4th round. Don't take that as no 4th rounders ever play or will never become HOFers. I'm not stating that. There are plenty of undrafted players that have had great careers. Tom Brady the best QB of the modern area and maybe of all time was a 5th round pick. However the odds go down the later you pick. I liked the Isodora pick and was hoping he could take over year 2, complaining, but he can't crack this garbage line and probably never will. Doubting. We need this guy to start day 1 and be a good player. That will help us big time, But I don't expect that to happen. It's unrealistic. Call it doubt or complaining on my part. I'm just being fair to the kid.
Isidora did not have the credentials that Samia does. He was not a value pick. Not all 4th round picks are created the same. Do you stand by your statement of not expecting him to play this year? Or did you mean you don't expect him to play much? Did you mean you don't expect him to take snaps on the O Line or no snaps at all?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:48 am
Isidora did not have the credentials that Samia does. He was not a value pick. Not all 4th round picks are created the same. Do you stand by your statement of not expecting him to play this year? Or did you mean you don't expect him to play much? Did you mean you don't expect him to take snaps on the O Line or no snaps at all?
I don't see him playing at all. Kline will be the guy. Isidora will be the first off the bench. If we need another G it could be Jones. At least I think he's a G. Not really sure about that one.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 am
I don't see him playing at all. Kline will be the guy. Isidora will be the first off the bench. If we need another G it could be Jones. At least I think he's a G. Not really sure about that one.
So not even one special teams snap? We have a bet. I'll even give you 2 to 1 odds. $20?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Samia took only 3rd string reps in OTAs and minicamp. Same with Oli. Granted they're practicing in shorts so linemen are tough to evaluate right now but they've definitely got to climb over a number of guys to make the roster let alone start. I think Samia will make the roster, rare a 4th rounder doesn't, but will only see the field if injuries rack up. Oli likely is a practice squad guy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:18 pm Samia took only 3rd string reps in OTAs and minicamp. Same with Oli. Granted they're practicing in shorts so linemen are tough to evaluate right now but they've definitely got to climb over a number of guys to make the roster let alone start. I think Samia will make the roster, rare a 4th rounder doesn't, but will only see the field if injuries rack up. Oli likely is a practice squad guy.
Are you saying not even one special teams snap for Samia?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 pm
So not even one special teams snap? We have a bet. I'll even give you 2 to 1 odds. $20?
You waited too long to accept. Odds are straight up now. You want the bet?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:06 pm

You waited too long to accept. Odds are straight up now. You want the bet?
I can't even find were the ST starters are listed. But Isidora played 14 pct of the total special teams plays. Whatever that means. So he could play one snap on ST I guess. I don't see him seeing the field at G which is what I thought this was all about. By that I mean starting. Not coming in during blowouts either way. I'll give a bet for you. He won't be the opening day starter at either G position. Unless he's an injury fill in. Do you want that one. Didn't think so.