Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What (pre-determined) grade do you give this years draft?

A
19%
B
55%
C
21%
D
2%
F
2%

Total votes: 42

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 pm

It's not going to be great but it should be ok. That rookie is already being projected by most to be a many time Pro Bowler and a likely All Pro. I will take my chances with him. Kline and Elf were fine in 17. We know what happened to Elf last year. They don't need to be great if they can be average I can see a Division title for our beloved Vikings.
Yeah I wouldnt call Elflein a "failure". He played bad last year but also helped our OL a ton in 2017. This year is gonna be a true tell for him given he's switching positions, has talent around him and is healthy.
A failure at center. He still has a chance to be a good olineman, but the Vikings gave up the 18th overall to replace him at center for a reason.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 am

Yeah I wouldnt call Elflein a "failure". He played bad last year but also helped our OL a ton in 2017. This year is gonna be a true tell for him given he's switching positions, has talent around him and is healthy.
A failure at center. He still has a chance to be a good olineman, but the Vikings gave up the 18th overall to replace him at center for a reason.
The Vikings gave up the 21st overall pick to draft Randy Moss, it doesnt mean Cris Carter and Jake Reed were failures. More so Jake Reed given that's essentially the WR that lost their spot to Moss. We spent the 30th pick on Mike Hughes. Doesnt mean Rhodes and Waynes were failures. Or even Alexander for that matter. Point is, Bradbury was the BPA on their board obviously. Was our BIGGEST need center? No. We could have easily kept Elflein there and taken Cody Ford. We drafted Elflein when we had Berger playing center. We could have drafted a true guard instead. I guess failure just isnt the right word to use IMO. The guy can be a decent center. It's just the BPA on our board was a center and Elflein had a lot of success at guard in college. He's a decent center but a better guard type of view
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Beyond this year, the big question seems to be can Elflein beat out Klein. I fully expect Bradburry and Samia to be starting by mid season.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm

The Vikings gave up the 21st overall pick to draft Randy Moss, it doesnt mean Cris Carter and Jake Reed were failures. More so Jake Reed given that's essentially the WR that lost their spot to Moss. We spent the 30th pick on Mike Hughes. Doesnt mean Rhodes and Waynes were failures. Or even Alexander for that matter. Point is, Bradbury was the BPA on their board obviously. Was our BIGGEST need center? No. We could have easily kept Elflein there and taken Cody Ford. We drafted Elflein when we had Berger playing center. We could have drafted a true guard instead. I guess failure just isnt the right word to use IMO. The guy can be a decent center. It's just the BPA on our board was a center and Elflein had a lot of success at guard in college. He's a decent center but a better guard type of view
The Vikings didn't draft Moss because they didn't want Carter or Reed to play WR anymore, or Hughes because they didn't want Wayne's to play CB (I do think they drafted him because they didn't think they could resign him though). The Vikings did draft Bradbury because they don't want Elf at Center.

He was barely adequate in 2017 and awful in 2018 at the position. Hopefully left guard is his position and he turns things around.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:20 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:08 pm
Say it for those in the back rows. Plenty of better rbs were taken in the 5th and 6th rounds. This guy was a reach, plain and simple. Yes we needed to address the position but did we need to do it when we did? is there a huge difference between him and Ryquell Armstead (also a big back)? Was a big back the only way to solve this our problem? Would a scat back work as well? Taking him in the 3rd was a bad pick. We may grow to love the player but spending starter caliber draft picks on a back-up or insurance policy is bad drafting.
Our current starter will miss time. That has already been proven. It's not an insurance policy it's a must have. This Mattison is a guy who can take many carries and keep on ticking. The guy moves people and an arm won't bring him down. Yes we needed a big guy. Get a scat back who will also miss time is stupid.Then we will be playing our 3rd guy. Plus he don't fumble. Are those guys you mentioned battering rams like this guy? Do they play every game and take the hand offs? I'm talking 30+. Do they not fumble? People question his lack of track speed but I don't give a dam about that. This isn't a workout it's football. This guy has football speed and he runs low. He can take a hit and deliver a blow. Obviously we would all like the guy that can do it all like the guy the Giants picked last year. We didn't draft high enough for that and that type of player wasn't in this class. He's a change of pace guy. I'd like to see some 7th round stiff that is so much better than him. There could be a faster guy but that doesn't mean he can play football.
Better bigger backs, against better competition were available. Defending a reach is just homerism. Even if you like him, do you feel he was drafted in the right place? We passed on Damien Harris to draft him. You are also assuming our stater will miss time but forgetting Our starter at WR is also known to miss time and out OT depth is laughable. Addressing RB this high when quality backs are available in the draft and as vets was a poor move and we have been lambasted for it. It's like taking Hughes in the first. Zimmer started to rag on those calling for a guard instead when Hughes had the pick 6, only for us to lose the season because our interior line sucked. Draft CB (RB) depth, but there are positions that needed depth more than RB, OT being one and Wr being another.

Pat was damn good in 2017
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm Beyond this year, the big question seems to be can Elflein beat out Klein. I fully expect Bradburry and Samia to be starting by mid season.
I think it will be Samia and Kline competing, not Elflein. Samia played RG at Oklahoma and that's where Kline is penciled in. I think Elflein is a guaranteed starter at LG. Elflein was a RG as well at OSU but someone has to play left. I think it's Elfein. Samia and Kline are both fresh at RG. Elflein had a few years at center so I think he makes the transition.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 am
fiestavike wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm Beyond this year, the big question seems to be can Elflein beat out Klein. I fully expect Bradburry and Samia to be starting by mid season.
I think it will be Samia and Kline competing, not Elflein. Samia played RG at Oklahoma and that's where Kline is penciled in. I think Elflein is a guaranteed starter at LG. Elflein was a RG as well at OSU but someone has to play left. I think it's Elfein. Samia and Kline are both fresh at RG. Elflein had a few years at center so I think he makes the transition.
By mid season, I think Samia will have won that battle. Then the question becomes can Elflein hold of Klein, who has the advantage of essentially being guaranteed a roster spot for the next three years. Hopefully Klein remains an expensive backup because Elflein, Samia and Bradbury all play well enough to hold him off.

One other consideration. I wouldn't 100 percent rule out that Samia has a future at RT and O'Neill at LT, though I see Reiff being part of this team for at least 2 more years. I'd say its unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:09 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 am

By mid season, I think Samia will have won that battle. Then the question becomes can Elflein hold of Klein, who has the advantage of essentially being guaranteed a roster spot for the next three years. Hopefully Klein remains an expensive backup because Elflein, Samia and Bradbury all play well enough to hold him off.

One other consideration. I wouldn't 100 percent rule out that Samia has a future at RT and O'Neill at LT, though I see Reiff being part of this team for at least 2 more years. I'd say its unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.
Samia seems like a good developmental pick who was Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year (2018). I also think your thought of him competing with Klein is correct. IMO I don't see him playing this year. It could happen and would be great for us if he does take the job over by mid season. I didn't realize he got that award until I looked him up. I hope it turns out to be a great pick. Good thought with this one.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 am

Samia seems like a good developmental pick who was Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year (2018). I also think your thought of him competing with Klein is correct. IMO I don't see him playing this year. It could happen and would be great for us if he does take the job over by mid season. I didn't realize he got that award until I looked him up. I hope it turns out to be a great pick. Good thought with this one.
I forgot this. Size seems to be a concern. The draft network has him at 297. That's a small guy in today's world. And they state
Functional Strength - Not the biggest or strongest offensive lineman, and there are instances of power players moving him a bit on the interior. Despite his impressive functional strength due to technique and ability to find leverage points, I do worry about what happens against some of the big, long defensive linemen in NFL. Matchup with Raekwon Davis should tell us a lot.
Not a rock but he fits this movement based scheme.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

2nd team All American as well. I see Risner and Cajuste won the Big 12 award also so they shared it. Cody ford did not.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 am
I forgot this. Size seems to be a concern. The draft network has him at 297. That's a small guy in today's world. And they state
Functional Strength - Not the biggest or strongest offensive lineman, and there are instances of power players moving him a bit on the interior. Despite his impressive functional strength due to technique and ability to find leverage points, I do worry about what happens against some of the big, long defensive linemen in NFL. Matchup with Raekwon Davis should tell us a lot.
He's already 311 and did 28 reps at the combine, This is not the droid you are looking for, Move along.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am
CharVike wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 am
He's already 311 and did 28 reps at the combine, This is not the droid you are looking for, Move along.
I don't care about a guy that has great workouts. I want a football player. I didn't write that up it was another opinion. Of course it's completely invalid. I understand that. He's a kid and will need time IMO.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:00 am
I don't care about a guy that has great workouts. I want a football player. I didn't write that up it was another opinion. Of course it's completely invalid. I understand that. He's a kid and will need time IMO.
He's a football player. 2nd team all American and Big 12 OL of the year. 4th round bargain.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 am
He's a football player. 2nd team all American and Big 12 OL of the year. 4th round bargain.
I know he's a football player and I liked the pick. Good developmental guy. He has the tools Kub wants. I don't even pay attention to a bench press. The better technique the more weight you can lift. Zero correlation between that and playing football. Just look up the best of all time bench press guys. They delivered pizza instead of blows for an NFL team.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:04 am
I know he's a football player and I liked the pick. Good developmental guy. He has the tools Kub wants. I don't even pay attention to a bench press. The better technique the more weight you can lift. Zero correlation between that and playing football. Just look up the best of all time bench press guys. They delivered pizza instead of blows for an NFL team.