Who had the best draft class of 2019 in the NFC North?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purplepain2018
Backup

Who had the best draft class of 2019 in the NFC North?

Post by Purplepain2018 »

Just looking at each teams draft picks and (not because I am a Vikings fan), but to me the Vikings had the best draft of all the NFC North teams. The Vikings filled some much needed holes on the offensive line with two nasty players in C Garret Bradbury, and G Dru Samia. I loved both of these picks. Also, I really liked the TE Irv Smith, Jr. pick as well as he seems more athletic and able to get open on routes as well as block. RB Alexander Mattison appears to fit the part as a backup to Dalvin Cook. I also like the LB Cameron Smith pick, DT Armon Watts, T Udoh. The two picks that I am really interested in to fill that third WR spot are WR Dillon Mitchell and WR Olibisi Johnson. I would say from top to bottom there is no other team that even comes close to the Vikings draft. However, as we all know, projections do not always translate to performance.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Who had the best draft class of 2019 in the NFC North?

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Purplepain2018 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 pm Just looking at each teams draft picks and (not because I am a Vikings fan), but to me the Vikings had the best draft of all the NFC North teams. The Vikings filled some much needed holes on the offensive line with two nasty players in C Garret Bradbury, and G Dru Samia. I loved both of these picks. Also, I really liked the TE Irv Smith, Jr. pick as well as he seems more athletic and able to get open on routes as well as block. RB Alexander Mattison appears to fit the part as a backup to Dalvin Cook. I also like the LB Cameron Smith pick, DT Armon Watts, T Udoh. The two picks that I am really interested in to fill that third WR spot are WR Dillon Mitchell and WR Olibisi Johnson. I would say from top to bottom there is no other team that even comes close to the Vikings draft. However, as we all know, projections do not always translate to performance.
I'm here with my grape Kool-Aid and I agree 100%. :govikes:
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

If you include Mack in the Bears draft they win.

After that it is tough to not win the draft when you are picking 8th and the Vikes are picking 18th, but since it is the Lions I am sure they messed up. The Packers attempted to fill a need with a big question mark on the edge but Savage looks to be a good pick.

Who knows.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:19 pm If you include Mack in the Bears draft they win.

After that it is tough to not win the draft when you are picking 8th and the Vikes are picking 18th, but since it is the Lions I am sure they messed up. The Packers attempted to fill a need with a big question mark on the edge but Savage looks to be a good pick.

Who knows.
The Bears did use the 2019 draft to add Mack, but they already had him when the draft occurred. So the 2019 draft improved them very little from the 2018 team. The rest of the Division got to play catch up to the Bears. The Vikings improvement on the OL IMO will be enough for them to surpass the Bears and win the division. Can't wait for September to come.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Mack needs to be included in the draft. Instant play maker who upgraded the defense immediately. It's hard to top that and almost impossible. The Bears win.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am Mack needs to be included in the draft. Instant play maker who upgraded the defense immediately. It's hard to top that and almost impossible. The Bears win.
They used draft capital from this draft to acquire Mack, and paid the price of not having those picks when it came time to draft. They did their improving last year. We crushed them this year during the actual draft. We have improved far more than they did this offseason. Now IMO we are the best team in the division. Time will tell. :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am Mack needs to be included in the draft. Instant play maker who upgraded the defense immediately. It's hard to top that and almost impossible. The Bears win.
They used draft capital from this draft to acquire Mack, and paid the price of not having those picks when it came time to draft. They did their improving last year. We crushed them this year during the actual draft. We have improved far more than they did this offseason. Now IMO we are the best team in the division. Time will tell. :govikes:
Who did we add that is as good as Mack. Of course they paid a price. You expect to get a player like that for nothing. They also picked a back this year that's pretty good. Certainly not elite. That wasn't available this year but he will start for them. We got one starter with the center selected. The TE we drafted has some nice skills no doubt about that. But it looks like Rudy is still the main man. That's staying still. No improvement at all and probably a step backwards. We also needed a WR and didn't draft one until very late. We added some players no doubt. But I don't see late picks starting and are there for depth if they make the team. So I see both of us getting one instant starter. But Mack is a very good player. Teams need to be aware of him. We didn't draft that. We picked to high and Bosa was gone. I'll be nice and label it a wash.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am The TE we drafted has some nice skills no doubt about that. But it looks like Rudy is still the main man. That's staying still. No improvement at all and probably a step backwards.
Your statements don't take into account the change at OC and the hiring of Gary Kubiak, whose system includes many two TE sets. Because of this, I think we'll see Rudy and Smith on the field at the same time and it wouldn't surprise me if both flourish. Eventually, it may open things up for Diggs and Thielen.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 am
CharVike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am The TE we drafted has some nice skills no doubt about that. But it looks like Rudy is still the main man. That's staying still. No improvement at all and probably a step backwards.
Your statements don't take into account the change at OC and the hiring of Gary Kubiak, whose system includes many two TE sets. Because of this, I think we'll see Rudy and Smith on the field at the same time and it wouldn't surprise me if both flourish. Eventually, it may open things up for Diggs and Thielen.
Your correct. Smith could be the starter with Rudy. And I like Smith a lot. Watching his highlights he has great pass catching skills. Great pick. But I would like to see an upgrade from Rudy. I don't think he does anything at a high level to justify the dollars. Certainly not a great blocker and his movement is laughable. So we have two starters which is a very good draft. I won't deny that. A center and TE plus we added nice depth and developmental guys. How this two TE set functions is anybody's guess. Hopefully Cook can carry the load. And that could happen. Or it could be the same old same old and then we are sunk and will have major problems scoring.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

On paper we improved a lot more than the Bears. They did get a workhorse RB, which was their biggest need and their QB is going into his 3rd year, which historically has a QB either becoming dramatically better or dramatically worse.

Defensively they got worse, but there is potential for their offense to improve.

Defensively we didn't change dramatically and offensively their is a lot more potential than the Bears for improvement. Maybe we split with them this year instead of getting swept?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

Who did we add that is as good as Mack. Of course they paid a price. You expect to get a player like that for nothing. They also picked a back this year that's pretty good. Certainly not elite. That wasn't available this year but he will start for them. We got one starter with the center selected. The TE we drafted has some nice skills no doubt about that. But it looks like Rudy is still the main man. That's staying still. No improvement at all and probably a step backwards. We also needed a WR and didn't draft one until very late. We added some players no doubt. But I don't see late picks starting and are there for depth if they make the team. So I see both of us getting one instant starter. But Mack is a very good player. Teams need to be aware of him. We didn't draft that. We picked to high and Bosa was gone. I'll be nice and label it a wash.
If you think Montgomery improves the Bears as much as the combination of Bradbury, Smith, Mattison and Samia improves the Vikings, I simply don't know how to respond other than to say we Buried them in this draft and we will be better than they are.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am
If you think Montgomery improves the Bears as much as the combination of Bradbury, Smith, Mattison and Samia improves the Vikings, I simply don't know how to respond other than to say we Buried them in this draft and we will be better than they are.
Respond by saying I don't know what I'm talking about. That's fair. You conveniently didn't include Mack. I don't see a single guy we picked that will be at his dominate level. I hope they all are as good. I hope this Samia comes in and becomes the best G in football. I don't see that happening. He fell because he's lacking something. But I certainly hope the guy develops. The Bears also got Ridley. Yes I know he sucks and that's why he fell off the map. He probably gets cut. IMO he's a better prospect than the WR we picked. He fell into a hole and is now making every excuse up that he can. Including getting his daddy involved. That's a cluster F. Who wants that BS. So yes you are correct we buried them.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

A great starting RB has more potential to have an impact on an offense than a starting Center, backup TE, backup RB and a backup guard.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I think the question being discussed is somewhat ambiguous which is leading to people arguing different points and perspectives.

Is the question “which team in the nfc north has improved the most between the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019”?

Or is the question “which team in the nfc north had the best 2019 draft, which includes trades of 2019 picks that occurred before the 2019 draft”?

I think before you can have a discussion, everyone should at least agree on the question. There might be a lot more agreement in this case

:v):
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:22 am
A great starting RB has more potential to have an impact on an offense than a starting Center, backup TE, backup RB and a backup guard.
Bradbury will help the Vikings rushing game by himself 10 times more than Montgomery will help the Bears rushing game. Not to mention how much Bradbury will help our passing game. Mattison will come close to helping our rushing game as much as Montgomery does theirs. Smith will help both our rushing and passing game. Samia might become a starter sometime this season. You seem to be way underrating our help while way overrating theirs. Cohen is still the Bears best RB.