Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What (pre-determined) grade do you give this years draft?

A
19%
B
55%
C
21%
D
2%
F
2%

Total votes: 42

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 pm

You are a homer. You think that makes you a better fan?
I admit I tend to look at the positive more than the negative. I don't think I'm sticking my neck out liking the Vikings draft over the Bears. Just the year before last we were 13-3. That my have been a fluke. I think last season was a fluke that we didn't do better. I expect our horrific deficiency in the O Line to be better. Nothing of that should seem unreasonable. My conclusion that we can kick Puker #### and hang with the Bears should seem reasonable. Vegas agrees with me despite much more gamblers in Chicago than Minnesota. Doesn't make me a better fan just a less cranky fan,
You're new to this board, Ive seen a few of your posts. There isnt anyone you dont like or think has huge potential. Based on nothing. Even PFF gave the Vikes draft grade a below average. Not every player is going to be great, and its doubtful if we have more then 2 players we want 5+ years. Everyone's hopes are with Kubiak, that he can save us from the damage Rick has done to this team. Thats why some folks are cynical AND are good fans.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:43 pm
I admit I tend to look at the positive more than the negative. I don't think I'm sticking my neck out liking the Vikings draft over the Bears. Just the year before last we were 13-3. That my have been a fluke. I think last season was a fluke that we didn't do better. I expect our horrific deficiency in the O Line to be better. Nothing of that should seem unreasonable. My conclusion that we can kick Puker #### and hang with the Bears should seem reasonable. Vegas agrees with me despite much more gamblers in Chicago than Minnesota. Doesn't make me a better fan just a less cranky fan,
You're new to this board, Ive seen a few of your posts. There isnt anyone you dont like or think has huge potential. Based on nothing. Even PFF gave the Vikes draft grade a below average. Not every player is going to be great, and its doubtful if we have more then 2 players we want 5+ years. Everyone's hopes are with Kubiak, that he can save us from the damage Rick has done to this team. Thats why some folks are cynical AND are good fans.
I didn't like Treadwell when he was drafted. I wanted an OL in the first round last year. Hughes is a fine player, but we needed OL help more. This draft I'm incredibly positive about that's true. It's based on much more than nothing. I watch game film not highlight reels and I check out the measurables and add in the consensus of opinion. Then I come up with my own opinion. The year that Vikings fans were giddy over Treadwell I told everybody he can't get separation and he has bad hands. I was the negative Nelly that draft. I don't think you're a bad fan. I just think you're a good/cynical/cranky fan.
As for PFF they are a joke when it comes to grading players and drafts. They are way off consensus on the players and historically their projections end up way off. I appreciate the effort, but the product is very lacking. Go with what Daniel Jeremiah has to say.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 am

I didn't like Treadwell when he was drafted. I wanted an OL in the first round last year. Hughes is a fine player, but we needed OL help more. This draft I'm incredibly positive about that's true. It's based on much more than nothing. I watch game film not highlight reels and I check out the measurables and add in the consensus of opinion. Then I come up with my own opinion. The year that Vikings fans were giddy over Treadwell I told everybody he can't get separation and he has bad hands. I was the negative Nelly that draft. I don't think you're a bad fan. I just think you're a good/cynical/cranky fan.
As for PFF they are a joke when it comes to grading players and drafts. They are way off consensus on the players and historically their projections end up way off. I appreciate the effort, but the product is very lacking. Go with what Daniel Jeremiah has to say.
I think this draft class in general is very weak. Just look at the 6th overall pick D Jones from Duke. Here is an observation. Daniel Jones would not be drafted before Day 2 most years. The fact that he’s in the discussion as a first-round pick really emphasizes the sad state of this quarterback class. Here's another concerning arm strength. Arm strength is a question -- Jones floated balls during the Senior Bowl game. Another Jones’ biggest weakness is his arm strength. This was the second QB taken. He has no arm. Another Ponder arm. At least Ponder played against some competition in college. I know this is only one position but there was nothing better on the board? Or was it a reach? You didn't like Treadwell. How about this Butler WR who most here wanted big time. Give your thoughts on him based on your game film watch. I'll give you my view now. He can't catch a football. No thanks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:02 am

I think this draft class in general is very weak. Just look at the 6th overall pick D Jones from Duke. Here is an observation. Daniel Jones would not be drafted before Day 2 most years. The fact that he’s in the discussion as a first-round pick really emphasizes the sad state of this quarterback class. Here's another concerning arm strength. Arm strength is a question -- Jones floated balls during the Senior Bowl game. Another Jones’ biggest weakness is his arm strength. This was the second QB taken. He has no arm. Another Ponder arm. At least Ponder played against some competition in college. I know this is only one position but there was nothing better on the board? Or was it a reach? You didn't like Treadwell. How about this Butler WR who most here wanted big time. Give your thoughts on him based on your game film watch. I'll give you my view now. He can't catch a football. No thanks.
He can obviously catch a football or he would have zero catches. I think you mean his catching ability is below average. That I agree with, but you can't teach his size speed combo and despite the drops he was still hugely productive. I'm not one of his big supporters, but I think he was worth his draft spot. Regardless he is not a Viking so I don't care much about him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 am
He can obviously catch a football or he would have zero catches. I think you mean his catching ability is below average. That I agree with, but you can't teach his size speed combo and despite the drops he was still hugely productive. I'm not one of his big supporters, but I think he was worth his draft spot. Regardless he is not a Viking so I don't care much about him.
Your correct he does have size and speed. Your also right about the fact that he's not a Viking so I don't care either. He is worth the spot selected. All these guys selected later have issues but some will develop. I like our draft. How these guys pan out is a guess. But we will get a few that will make the team and help out this year. Matter of fact I think our 1st two guys contribute. Bradbury will start at center or guard. And the TE will get the opportunity and has nice physical skills which currently we lack big time.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I don't know how PFF determines the grade. But based on the reports Bradbury was the best center in the draft and should be an instant starter. That's excellent for our slot. Not many "best player for a position" is available at that slot. Plus it fills a huge hole. I don't know how that gets a below average grade. To me that's an A for the entire draft. The top 2 TEs went in the 1st round. I would never select a TE in round one unless it's a Winslow clone. These two aren't close to that. Reaches especially for that position. We could have passed on the TE we drafted but he would have been gone. This also fills a huge need. I seen his tape and he can get deep. He'll split the safeties. Plus he's only 20. Will he be all world? No. He doesn't have that complete package skill set. The rest are shots in the dark. But I do think we got the best back available next that fills another need.Some have stated Harris was a much better player. The guy split time in college for a reason. Plus he's an inside runner that lacks size. I don't see how that will work better. So I see one starter and two contributors at positions that needed contributors. I don't see that as below average. Of course all three could be bums. Then PFF will be correct. My hopes are not with Kubiak as you stated. We now have two OCs. I never heard of that. It makes zero sense. But maybe it will work and Rick has found a new way of doing things.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am

I don't know how PFF determines the grade. But based on the reports Bradbury was the best center in the draft and should be an instant starter. That's excellent for our slot. Not many "best player for a position" is available at that slot. Plus it fills a huge hole. I don't know how that gets a below average grade. To me that's an A for the entire draft. The top 2 TEs went in the 1st round. I would never select a TE in round one unless it's a Winslow clone. These two aren't close to that. Reaches especially for that position. We could have passed on the TE we drafted but he would have been gone. This also fills a huge need. I seen his tape and he can get deep. He'll split the safeties. Plus he's only 20. Will he be all world? No. He doesn't have that complete package skill set. The rest are shots in the dark. But I do think we got the best back available next that fills another need.Some have stated Harris was a much better player. The guy split time in college for a reason. Plus he's an inside runner that lacks size. I don't see how that will work better. So I see one starter and two contributors at positions that needed contributors. I don't see that as below average. Of course all three could be bums. Then PFF will be correct. My hopes are not with Kubiak as you stated. We now have two OCs. I never heard of that. It makes zero sense. But maybe it will work and Rick has found a new way of doing things.
PFF had Elgton Jenkins as the best Center in the draft contrary to everybody else. he went to the Puckers in round two. That is how they have us as a below average Draft. Hope this helps.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:48 am
CharVike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am
PFF had Elgton Jenkins as the best Center in the draft contrary to everybody else. he went to the Puckers in round two. That is how they have us as a below average Draft. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. I guess Jenkins is a dam good player. That makes sense for the grade then. Like everyone else I hope we get some decent help from our selections. From the surface I don't see us winning the division but I think if things don't go sideways we will challenge and get in. We can compete. Let's face it the Bears were beaten soundly in the playoffs so they could bend a little.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:48 am
Thanks for the input. I guess Jenkins is a dam good player. That makes sense for the grade then. Like everyone else I hope we get some decent help from our selections. From the surface I don't see us winning the division but I think if things don't go sideways we will challenge and get in. We can compete. Let's face it the Bears were beaten soundly in the playoffs so they could bend a little.
The Bears lost in the playoffs on a missed chip shot FG...
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Styles make fights. The bears were a particularly bad matchup for us last year, as the strength of their team matched up against the weakness of ours. We'll see if we've rectified that weakness via personnel and/or scheme soon enough.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

fiestavike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am Styles make fights. The bears were a particularly bad matchup for us last year, as the strength of their team matched up against the weakness of ours. We'll see if we've rectified that weakness via personnel and/or scheme soon enough.
Absolutely. Let's see how Bradbury, Elf/Samia and Kline can counteract that Bears interior defense that Elf, Compton and Remmers Couldn't.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 am
CharVike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 am
The Bears lost in the playoffs on a missed chip shot FG...
My bad for not looking it up. I stand corrected. Next time I'll make sure I take a look first.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am
fiestavike wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am Styles make fights. The bears were a particularly bad matchup for us last year, as the strength of their team matched up against the weakness of ours. We'll see if we've rectified that weakness via personnel and/or scheme soon enough.
Absolutely. Let's see how Bradbury, Elf/Samia and Kline can counteract that Bears interior defense that Elf, Compton and Remmers Couldn't.
A failure at center, a rookie and a guy coming off a season worse than remmers...

The Bears are shaking in their boots.

Their is potential there, but a lot has to go right.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am
A failure at center, a rookie and a guy coming off a season worse than remmers...

It's not going to be great but it should be ok. That rookie is already being projected by most to be a many time Pro Bowler and a likely All Pro. I will take my chances with him. Kline and Elf were fine in 17. We know what happened to Elf last year. They don't need to be great if they can be average I can see a Division title for our beloved Vikings.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 pm

It's not going to be great but it should be ok. That rookie is already being projected by most to be a many time Pro Bowler and a likely All Pro. I will take my chances with him. Kline and Elf were fine in 17. We know what happened to Elf last year. They don't need to be great if they can be average I can see a Division title for our beloved Vikings.
Yeah I wouldnt call Elflein a "failure". He played bad last year but also helped our OL a ton in 2017. This year is gonna be a true tell for him given he's switching positions, has talent around him and is healthy.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri