Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What (pre-determined) grade do you give this years draft?

A
19%
B
55%
C
21%
D
2%
F
2%

Total votes: 42

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings 2019 Draft Class Review

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Here is the rookie mini-camp list (one of them is Diggs’ brother and another is Odenigno’s brother):

1. Washington QB Jake Browning
2. Marian TE Brandon Dillon
3. John Keenoy, Western Michigan, C
4. Western Illinois QB Sean McGuire - rookie camp invite
5. Micah Prince Abernathy - Tennessee DB
6. Bemidji State WR Landon Jones - rookie camp invite
8. SDSU G Tiano Pupungatoa - rookie camp invite
10. Georgia Tech DE Anree Saint-Amour
11. Sam Houston State WR Davion Davis
12. Miami DT Tito Odenigbo
13. Eastern Illinois WR Alexander Hollins
14. Bemidji State DB John Vogeler - rookie camp invite
15. Vanderbilt RB Khari Blasingame
16. Stony Brook RB Don Liotine
17. UAB S Mar'Sean Diggs
18. UCLA DB Nate Meadors
19. South Alabama LB Dethemeyus Barge - rookie camp invite
20. Nebraska OL Cole Conrad - rookie camp invite
21. UCONN WR Kyle Buss - rookie camp invite
22. UND DT Tank Harris - rookie camp invite
23. Marshall RB Anthony Anderson - rookie camp invite
24. Bethel DE Kyle Kilgore - rookie camp invite
25. UCONN QB David Pindell - rookie camp invite
26. UND RB John Santiago - rookie camp invite
27. Eastern Michigan WR Blake Banham - rookie camp invite
28. Davenport University DB Brian Williams - rookie camp invite
29. Clemson TE Milan Richard - rookie camp invite
30. LSU DB Terrence Alexander - rookie camp invite
31. Northern Iowa DE Rickey Neal Jr. - rookie camp invite
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think they'll get reasonable contribution this year from the first three picks. Center is practically a guarranteed starter which also moves Elflein to Guard. That pick upgrades two spots on OL. If this was the only pick in the draft it would be hard to give them a bad grade. The TE will likely see limited snaps, but should see time with an increased focus on the rushing attack. If Rudolph ends up as a cap casualty, then he'll likely see a lot of time. The RB was a big need and I like the pick. They needed a power type guy and he fits the bill. Cook has played 15 games in his 2 year career. They needed insurance here and I'm glad they drafted it.

It is worth noting that by drafting that TE they can force the issue with Rudolph's cap number. So in addition add talent, the pick will also likely have positive cap ramifications. The same is true of the RB they took. They needed RB depth and a change of pace back. By drafting this guy, they do not have to pay a free agent to fill the gap. This provides flexibility with the cap for the next 4-5 seasons. Obviously if these guys do not pan out, these points are moot, but this is a factor in building an NFL roster. The Vikings have a lot of talent, thus they need moves like this so they can keep other players

If the late round guard plays he was either a steal or most likely we had injury issues. Beyond that, the rest of them are shots in the dark. The vast majority of picks after the 2nd round are rarely in the league 3-4 years later and even fewer end up as consistent starters. Seems silly to give a bad grade to a FO because you don't like what they did in the later rounds, but that's just like my opinion, man.

If I have a beef with the draft, it is that they were unable to get talent earlier at DT. My sense is that this was due in part to the run at the position that occurred in the first round, thus other positions were stronger when they drafted. Given that these picks went to OL, RB, and TE, where we also had needs, I'm not all that upset.

I will grade this draft in three years when we actually have some idea of what drafted. For now, I find it hard to be all that upset since they used their first round pick to address the single biggest hole on the entire roster.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am I think they'll get reasonable contribution this year from the first three picks. Center is practically a guarranteed starter which also moves Elflein to Guard. That pick upgrades two spots on OL. If this was the only pick in the draft it would be hard to give them a bad grade. The TE will likely see limited snaps, but should see time with an increased focus on the rushing attack. If Rudolph ends up as a cap casualty, then he'll likely see a lot of time. The RB was a big need and I like the pick. They needed a power type guy and he fits the bill. Cook has played 15 games in his 2 year career. They needed insurance here and I'm glad they drafted it.

It is worth noting that by drafting that TE they can force the issue with Rudolph's cap number. So in addition add talent, the pick will also likely have positive cap ramifications. The same is true of the RB they took. They needed RB depth and a change of pace back. By drafting this guy, they do not have to pay a free agent to fill the gap. This provides flexibility with the cap for the next 4-5 seasons. Obviously if these guys do not pan out, these points are moot, but this is a factor in building an NFL roster. The Vikings have a lot of talent, thus they need moves like this so they can keep other players

If the late round guard plays he was either a steal or most likely we had injury issues. Beyond that, the rest of them are shots in the dark. The vast majority of picks after the 2nd round are rarely in the league 3-4 years later and even fewer end up as consistent starters. Seems silly to give a bad grade to a FO because you don't like what they did in the later rounds, but that's just like my opinion, man.

If I have a beef with the draft, it is that they were unable to get talent earlier at DT. My sense is that this was due in part to the run at the position that occurred in the first round, thus other positions were stronger when they drafted. Given that these picks went to OL, RB, and TE, where we also had needs, I'm not all that upset.

I will grade this draft in three years when we actually have some idea of what drafted. For now, I find it hard to be all that upset since they used their first round pick to address the single biggest hole on the entire roster.

Blah, they could have easily picked a RB is the 5th-7th better then Mattison, who hasnt seen any Ds worth noting since he started playing college football.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am Again, FALSE regarding him being "slower than muh(any?) better bigger back" or being "slow" in general.

Mattison ran multiple times at his pro day and ran a top time of 4.52 and didn't have a run slower than 4.57.

Alexander Mattison- 4.52-4.57 (at pro day)
Leveon Bell- 4.60
Leonard Fournette- 4.51
James Conner- 4.65
Nick Chubb- 4.52
Mark Ingram- 4.53
Derrick Henry- 4.54
Marlon Mack- 4.50
Josh Jacobs- 4.52-4.56 (at pro day)
Melvin Gordon- 4.52
David Johnson- 4.50
Aaron Jones- 4.56
Kerryon Johnson- 4.54
Devonta Freeman- 4.58
Todd Gurley- 4.52 (analysts calculated with game tape since he didn't run)
Chris Carson- 4.58
Jordan Howard- 4.58
David Montgomery - 4.63

Thats 17 starters in the NFL. A few teams I didn't even consider because I don't know who their starter is (KC, Wash, TB, SF). Mattison is either faster than the guys above or near the same compared to them. And that's me addressing every teams NFL starter for the most part. Not just "better bigger backs". So you saying that he's slower than those guys or in general is also 100% false. Not sure why you and others keep fighting that battle.
The one measurement that is being brought up is Mattison's 10yd split. He had an excellent time at 1.51 (3rd among all RBs). So he has an excellent burst of speed to hit holes. He was also 3rd in missed tackles and never fumbles. AFWIW, I think #2RB was much more important for this team this year than #3WR, especially with Murray gone.
I'm in the minority, but I like Mattison quite a bit. Perhaps he would have been there in the 4th, perhaps not. If he comes in and plays great and allows us to avoid paying a hefty contract to Dalvin Cook two years from now, I think we'll all be happy we picked him, and it won't matter all that much that some think it was a reach in the 3rd.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

17. UAB S Mar'Sean Diggs
Sponsored by NASA.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 am
808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm

The one measurement that is being brought up is Mattison's 10yd split. He had an excellent time at 1.51 (3rd among all RBs). So he has an excellent burst of speed to hit holes. He was also 3rd in missed tackles and never fumbles. AFWIW, I think #2RB was much more important for this team this year than #3WR, especially with Murray gone.
I'm in the minority, but I like Mattison quite a bit. Perhaps he would have been there in the 4th, perhaps not. If he comes in and plays great and allows us to avoid paying a hefty contract to Dalvin Cook two years from now, I think we'll all be happy we picked him, and it won't matter all that much that some think it was a reach in the 3rd.
I agree as well. And another thing to add in with him, he's a very high character guy. Not the end all be all, but always a plus
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 am Blah, they could have easily picked a RB is the 5th-7th better then Mattison, who hasnt seen any Ds worth noting since he started playing college football.
Say it for those in the back rows. Plenty of better rbs were taken in the 5th and 6th rounds. This guy was a reach, plain and simple. Yes we needed to address the position but did we need to do it when we did? is there a huge difference between him and Ryquell Armstead (also a big back)? Was a big back the only way to solve this our problem? Would a scat back work as well? Taking him in the 3rd was a bad pick. We may grow to love the player but spending starter caliber draft picks on a back-up or insurance policy is bad drafting.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I also don't understand giving the QB we signed that huge contract vs. drafting him instead of the LS we drafted. Also taking this QB vs. Tyrell Jackson(signing or drafting) confuses me. Just bad drafting. a LS that might not even be able to play for 2 more years. Why?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Looks like we need to clear about $1.5M more just to sign our rookies. Should be interesting.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:08 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 am Blah, they could have easily picked a RB is the 5th-7th better then Mattison, who hasnt seen any Ds worth noting since he started playing college football.
Say it for those in the back rows. Plenty of better rbs were taken in the 5th and 6th rounds. This guy was a reach, plain and simple. Yes we needed to address the position but did we need to do it when we did? is there a huge difference between him and Ryquell Armstead (also a big back)? Was a big back the only way to solve this our problem? Would a scat back work as well? Taking him in the 3rd was a bad pick. We may grow to love the player but spending starter caliber draft picks on a back-up or insurance policy is bad drafting.
How does anyone possibly know there were “easily” better picks in the 5th-7th rounds? That doesn’t even make sense. How do you label him a reach? According to what standards? Your own. You have nothing to base it off of. Your slow argument is non-existent. It’s because we passed on Butler. Latavius Murray was a great signing because he could play at a high level when cook wasn’t healthy.

Investing in a good RB is more important than a WR that’s going to play under 50% of snaps. We don’t advance to the NFC championship 2 years ago if it wasn’t for Latavius Murray. We advanced there with Jarius Wright as our #3. Yeah we need a better #3 currently. But we can’t rely on an UDFA and Ameer Abdullah to carry the weight if cook misses time. Cook and Murray played roughly 1000 snaps last year. Murray and McKinnon played roughly 1000 snaps in 2017. Our #3 WR played about 500 snaps both years. See my point? What do we need more? Who’s going to contribute more? Especially switching to a run first offense. We need a complementary back to cook that can handle full loads. It’s a no brainer if you ask me
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:16 pm Looks like we need to clear about $1.5M more just to sign our rookies. Should be interesting.
I am guessing Rudy is gone. I don't see how we can keep him at his salary.
I suppose by drafting 85 6th and 7th rounders that it is cheaper? Idk.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:54 am
S197 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:16 pm Looks like we need to clear about $1.5M more just to sign our rookies. Should be interesting.
Why would they want to keep him? Even at league min. He doesn't fit the scheme. But this CAP will be figured out easily. It's not like were 50 million in the hole. We have guys that will need to make a choice as Griff was forced to do. All these 6th and 7th rounders was about the dumbest thing I have ever seen during the draft. The same value is UDFA. Bad move but who knows maybe there's a player in there.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:13 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:31 pm
The trade downs didn't net a thing. IMO having 10 7th round picks versus a couple 2nd rounders I would take the 2nd rounders. I didn't see one post stating trade down and get a first. Most of the frustration is why would a team want a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks? It would be fine if we are a dominate team. We need impact players and IMO it's much easier to find them in the beginning than at the end. We don't need a bunch of scruffs for the practice squad and that's if you pick well with these low picks. This is the most I've been frustrated with Rick. He wanted air time and couldn't do the correct thing to get it. But we all have a different view on what's correct.
Ok? You aren’t trading down to get a couple 2nds either. He was trading down in the 3rd. What do you think trading down in the 3rd warrants in compensation? Look at teams that traded down in the 3rd and let me know what they got in return. Unless you’re dropping 15+ picks, your compensation is going to be 6th round picks. Not 1sts, not 2nds, not even 4ths unless you’re picking in the early 3rd
I never said you can trade down and get a better pick. I might be dumb but I'm not stupid. I was referencing a previous post by someone stating "get more bodies and it increases the hit rate". Not if they're 7th rounders. Bottom line these 6th and 7th rounders are worthless so why even trade for them. Trade for multiple 1st. That's were the value is.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:22 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Ok? You aren’t trading down to get a couple 2nds either. He was trading down in the 3rd. What do you think trading down in the 3rd warrants in compensation? Look at teams that traded down in the 3rd and let me know what they got in return. Unless you’re dropping 15+ picks, your compensation is going to be 6th round picks. Not 1sts, not 2nds, not even 4ths unless you’re picking in the early 3rd
I never said you can trade down and get a better pick. I might be dumb but I'm not stupid. I was referencing a previous post by someone stating "get more bodies and it increases the hit rate". Not if they're 7th rounders. Bottom line these 6th and 7th rounders are worthless so why even trade for them. Trade for multiple 1st. That's were the value is.
:lol: I'm not saying you're dumb dude. I'm just saying, even multiple firsts is something you cant just get easily. The teams that had multiple firsts this year traded away Odell Beckham, Kalil Mack, Amari Cooper, etc. Everyone would love multiple firsts but you have to drastically pay for those firsts and hope you dont sell away your team at the same time.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:54 am
Either a restructure or an outright cut. A guy like Abdullah isn't guaranteed a roster spot especially if a late rounder can prove he can return kicks. Zylastra looked ok returning punts. But yeah Kyle is kindve the elephant in the room.