2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings In-House Free Agents and Cut/Trade Tracker

Post by S197 »

@GoesslingStrib

With Jordan Taylor’s $745,000 cap hit and Adam Thielen’s new deal on the books, the Vikings have $1.683 million in cap space left. There’ll be a move of some form or another to clear space before all of the draft class is signed.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 pm
@GoesslingStrib

With Jordan Taylor’s $745,000 cap hit and Adam Thielen’s new deal on the books, the Vikings have $1.683 million in cap space left. There’ll be a move of some form or another to clear space before all of the draft class is signed.
I would guess restructuring Rudolph. He just came out again and said he’d love to help our cap situation but we haven’t contracted his agent. Kind of bizarre given how little cap we have
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

@GoesslingStrib

Has the talk of trading Wayne's subsided due to Hill being suspended? Or is that still a possibility?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:34 am
Has the talk of trading Wayne's subsided due to Hill being suspended? Or is that still a possibility?
It has started to fizzle out from what I’ve seen
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think it's harder but it's one of the options thrown around. Rudolph is another, I also heard they might be able to convert Hunter's salary to a bonus with a minimal cap hit increase going forward.

The other problem is they're underwater for 2020 so they need to be careful how they restructure as they could be in worse shape next year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:04 pm
I think it's harder but it's one of the options thrown around. Rudolph is another, I also heard they might be able to convert Hunter's salary to a bonus with a minimal cap hit increase going forward.

The other problem is they're underwater for 2020 so they need to be careful how they restructure as they could be in worse shape next year.
Bryzinski is a borderline genius. I’m sure it will get handled the right way. Spielman says they always plan ahead 3 years
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:07 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:04 pm

Bryzinski is a borderline genius. I’m sure it will get handled the right way. Spielman says they always plan ahead 3 years
He does some great things but he's also never had to deal with a 80+ million, 100% guaranteed, no trade clause contract. Tough choices are going to have to be made eventually. You can kick the can down the road a little but you only have so many arrows in your quiver.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:31 pm

He does some great things but he's also never had to deal with a 80+ million, 100% guaranteed, no trade clause contract. Tough choices are going to have to be made eventually. You can kick the can down the road a little but you only have so many arrows in your quiver.
Agreed it’s definitely a new challenge for him. But if you’re going to trust anyone with a situation like this, I would say it’s probably him. We could see some surprise picks this year that relate more towards the down the road approach vs immediate need. DE is one given griff.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I will be beyond shocked if Rudolph and Griffen are on the team next season. That will help, and I really wonder how much time Rhodes has here too. It will be a very interesting off season after 2019.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I'm not a CAP expert but things can change quickly. QBs cost money. There is nothing that can be done about that. Yes for us as an example we could gave just played Sloter and had a ton of CAP. At that point cut everyone that has a high CAP number. because the chance of winning a game is zero. Then try to explain to ownership why tickets wont sell and we are never on national TV and revenues are shrinking. Another thing is the CAP always goes up. In a few years 80 million will be peanuts. Cousins will get 45 million a year from his next deal. It will be here or somewhere else. Like last year many teams will be banging on his door because the NFL has a QB shortage. That's why we see this running QB stuff now. Like always those guys will get knocked out. But there is nothing else. The Saints were in a hole and now can sign any player they want and will continue to do that. IMO why is Rudy still on this team. He makes a ton and blows. He won't change this team and will only make us worse. That's were Speilman should take a hit. Send that bum packing because he isn't worth anything in trade value. Many on here felt Case was the way to go.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:42 am

I will be beyond shocked if Rudolph and Griffen are on the team next season. That will help, and I really wonder how much time Rhodes has here too. It will be a very interesting off season after 2019.
I can see that, especially Rudolph. Griff will likely depend on how he bounces back. The added wrinkle is Weatherly is a free agent next year. It will be an interesting off season for sure.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

S197 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:04 pmThe other problem is they're underwater for 2020 so they need to be careful how they restructure as they could be in worse shape next year.
When we announced the signing of Cousins, I frankly expected us to front load his contract. We had a lot of 2018 cap room at that point and I thought it would have been wise to take the biggest hit last year, leaving more dry powder for the out years.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Found this on Purple Thoughts. The Vikings signed three tryout players to contracts

dougpaschal said... (original post)
https://news.yahoo.com/vikings-adding-t ... 10827.html

I last heard the Vikings had 89 players under contract. I'm not sure if that # included Wharton. If it did this puts us at 91 if it didn't this puts us at 92. Does this mean we had to release one or two players from contract and if so who would those players be?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2019 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Bulletin board Material for the Vikings.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... 1-overall/

Prisco's CBS power rankings have the Vikings #20 and the Pukers #2.

Listen to the Video on that link Page. The guys who work with Prisco at CBS are basically calling him an idiot. They pointed out how the Rams and Saints both won 13 games which was more than twice as many as the Pack. Prisco is commenting like the Pack D will be so improved that they will be better than the Bears and the Bears IIRC had the best defense in the league.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:42 am

Rudolph is a FA, so he will save the team no money. I don't think there is any chance Griffen is back though. If he has a great season, he might choose to opt out himself to get more guaranteed money. If he has a bad or even an okay season, he will be cut.

Rhodes would have to play poorly this year to not make the team next year. There is a good chance Waynes and Mac are gone and if you add Rhodes into that mix the Vikings would be pretty bare at CB. Hughes, Hill and ?.

Others have commented about cutting Reiff as well, which in my opinion creates an unnecessary whole at LT or RT if you move O'Neill over.

Let's say they do cut Rhodes, Griffen and Reiff though. That gives the Vikings 30 million in cap and hopefully late round draft picks to fill starting spots at CB, Safety, LT/RT, DE and DT. You could get a couple of FA starters with the cap, and hope a few rookies or bench players can step up big.

2020 should be fun.