Just Kidding Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Just Kidding Offseason

Post by mike2mike »

Trade away our 2nd rounder and Cousins to get his guarenteed contract off the books like the Brock Osweiller trade. This leaves us with about 42M in cap room after 5th year optioning Wayne’s.
Franchise tag Barr for $16M, re-sign Richardson for say $10M.
That leaves about $16M. We could trade all our remaining draft picks the next three years and Rhodes for Pat Mahomes who only costs $4M against the cap leaving about $12M. More realistically we can look for a temporary QB making under $10M in 2019 that won’t cost us much at all like AJ McCarron and use the remaining money and draft picks to upgrade the OL.

Alternatively, we won’t have a QB at all but we’ll gain back some flexibility. We’d can gamble that in the short term we can find a Keenum type player in free agency for a year or two and/or in the long run draft one sometime in the next two years before the CBA is renegotiated.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Just Kidding Offseason

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Don't give spielman ant ideas.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:26 pm Don't give spielman ant ideas.
I ran this through a Spielman AI and it responded
Error, cannot process command: “upgrade OL”
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mike2mike wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 pm
:rofl:
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Keep Spielman and Zimmer and cousins for 2 more painful years. By year 3 of the cousins era, on zimmer’s 8th OC and still no OL, morale will be so low , we will be so terrible that we will pick #1 in 2021 and take Trevor Lawrence!!

Can’t believe what he and Clemson did to that Bama D yesterday
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 am Keep Spielman and Zimmer and cousins for 2 more painful years. By year 3 of the cousins era, on zimmer’s 8th OC and still no OL, morale will be so low , we will be so terrible that we will pick #1 in 2021 and take Trevor Lawrence!!

That was insane.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

mike2mike wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Haha.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

What ever happens next year, I say we throw all the games the year after that in hopes that Trevor Lawrence comes out from Clemson.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 am Keep Spielman and Zimmer and cousins for 2 more painful years. By year 3 of the cousins era, on zimmer’s 8th OC and still no OL, morale will be so low , we will be so terrible that we will pick #1 in 2021 and take Trevor Lawrence!!

Holy cow! I forgot that game was yesterday. I missed it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Would be a pretty crazy offseason.

Guess I’m not sure what a “Keenum type player” is. Like where are those found? Keenum was a terrible QB that nobody cared about when we signed him. His play was more based off of the system and a little luck last year. Not his skills. Siemien was literally the exact type QB this year. He was a below average QB with a little starting experience to serve as a number 2. If there were legit “Keenum type players” out there, they’d be getting scooped up to start and paid a lot more money than what we gave Case Keenum last year. The term “Case Keenum type player” doesn’t exist in my book. It was a feel good story that we lucked out on. I mean the chances of us finding a QB that nobody knows or cares about, paying him $2 million or less and he leads us to a 13-3 record and an NFC championship berth are literally near zero. We had a luxury last year not having to pay our starting QB boat loads of money and having a good season. If you want good, consistent QB play, 95% of the time you’re probably going to have to pay for it or spend an early pick on it (which we haven’t had in a few years).

We need to just move forward with cousins, continue to build around him and see what this team can do
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 am Would be a pretty crazy offseason.

Guess I’m not sure what a “Keenum type player” is. Like where are those found? Keenum was a terrible QB that nobody cared about when we signed him. His play was more based off of the system and a little luck last year. Not his skills. Siemien was literally the exact type QB this year. He was a below average QB with a little starting experience to serve as a number 2. If there were legit “Keenum type players” out there, they’d be getting scooped up to start and paid a lot more money than what we gave Case Keenum last year. The term “Case Keenum type player” doesn’t exist in my book. It was a feel good story that we lucked out on. I mean the chances of us finding a QB that nobody knows or cares about, paying him $2 million or less and he leads us to a 13-3 record and an NFC championship berth are literally near zero. We had a luxury last year not having to pay our starting QB boat loads of money and having a good season. If you want good, consistent QB play, 95% of the time you’re probably going to have to pay for it or spend an early pick on it (which we haven’t had in a few years).

We need to just move forward with cousins, continue to build around him and see what this team can do
A keenum type player is one where he wins 13 games behind a horrid offense, and the crowd loves him. Basically the opposite type of player Cousins is. Accuracy isnt everything when you are a chicken behind an offensive line.

Im so friggin tired of you bashing Case and praising Cousins on almost every post.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 am Would be a pretty crazy offseason.

A keenum type player is one where he wins 13 games behind a horrid offense, and the crowd loves him. Basically the opposite type of player Cousins is. Accuracy isnt everything when you are a chicken behind an offensive line.

Im so friggin tired of you bashing Case and praising Cousins on almost every post.
He's allowed to have an opinion. Yours is valid too. Your post would have been fine if you would have left out that last line. Stop commenting on the person.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

To me when I look at Case Keenum on the Vikings I see what Nick Foles is for the Eagles - you need the right situation and they can do well and get wins.

I think it's safe to assume that Carson Wentz is the overall better QB on that roster but for some reason the Eagles look a *lot* better with Foles at the helm. They are 4-1 with Foles as the starter, 5-6 with Wentz. It's entirely possible that if Wentz stayed healthy the Vikings would be in the playoffs.

Sometimes team chemistry is more important than stats or raw ability.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think Doug Pederson has a lot to do with that. Whatever it is, Pederson + Foles = Magic

Did you see some of the plays they ran vs. the Bears. At one point Foles faked a screen right, faked it left, then tagged the TE on a delay route over the middle. It was one of the most innovating plays I've ever seen.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

If Case Keenum ONLY succeeded because of the system, then that's one more system than Cousins ever succeeded in. And really, shouldn't it only be important if the system he succeeds in is the one the Vikings are using? Because if it's all about systems, then I could care less if he fails in Denver's system. And it's completely speculative to say whether he would succeed or fail in the current Viking's system. But we'll never know because he was given up on after he showed that his game play really doesn't change based on the importance of a game. So, YES....we will have to try and move forward with Cousins.