Carlson and the loss at Green Bay

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Carlson and the loss at Green Bay

Post by Mothman »

I know this is practically ancient history but I keep seeing the idea that Carlson's missed kicks in Green Bay somehow cost the Vikings a playoff spot expressed here and elsewhere online (mainly on Twitter).

I find that absurd.

I understand the basic math involved but think about it: the Vikings and Packers finished in a tie in week 2. They had 14 more games in which to determine their own fate and despite the tie, the Vikes were undefeated at that point in the season, at 1-0-1. The playoff spot was clearly lost later, with a no-show against Buffalo and with prime time losses to the Rams, Saints, Bears and Seahawks. It was lost with ineffective offensive performances, particularly against Seattle and Chicago late in the season. It was lost with terrible run defense against winning teams after the bye. It was lost when they were swept by the NFC North winner.

Carlson's misses cost the Vikings half a game in the standings and even putting that much on him is a stretch since it's a team game. He missed two long kicks and then blew a chance at victory by missing a very make-able kick in OT so sure, he deserves criticism. His misses did impact the outcome of that game but that outcome wasn't solely on his shoulders (or leg). He shouldn't be a scapegoat for the loss or the team's inability to reach the postseason. Even in that game, it's not as if he allowed the 29 points GB scored (including a TD on a blocked punt). The Vikes tied that game as a team, just like they won 8 games as a team and lost 7, including 4 down the stretch, any one of which could have helped them reach the postseason if they'd simply played winning football.

Why am I posting about this? I don't know. :) It's not as if I have much interest in Carlson one way or the other. I think I just get tired of the excuse-making. Behind the idea that Carlson's misses in week 2 cost the Vikes a playoff spot, there's an implication that they were victims of his performance in that game rather than a team that still had every opportunity in front of them after he was cut and was simply unable to make the playoffs.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Carlson and the loss at Green Bay

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Agreed 100%.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

He lost the game but not the playoff spot. It was pretty evident up to and including week 17 this wasn't a playoff team.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIRC, the Vikings offense showed the same thing in that game they showed most of the year - ineffective early, allowing the team to fall way behind, then needing late game heroics and a little help from the refs to catch up. In the game against the Packers, they managed to get into position to tie it late and even win it, but that game foreshadowed the problems that would haunt the team all year.

The 2018 Vikings didn't belong in the playoffs, tie or not against Green Bay. This was not a quality team and not capable of the type of consistent play required for a team to be a Superbowl contender.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Apparently he was great for Oakland.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm He lost the game but not the playoff spot. It was pretty evident up to and including week 17 this wasn't a playoff team.
They didn't lose the game. ;)

I almost typed that in my initial post though, so I understand the mistake!
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

I remember that game perfectly I called out of work and I was watching it on my phone while talking to the fine folks here at VMB. Some people were content and fine with us having a tie with the Packers. I was livid because we needed that game due to there being 16 games in a season and every game counts.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Carlson did us a favor.

I am cool with not losing to the Bears three times in one season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 pm Carlson did us a favor.

I am cool with not losing to the Bears three times in one season.
:rofl:
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

no one player has ever lost a team a game in any sport ever...
i'm ready for a beer.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm Apparently he was great for Oakland.
Yup. Changed his lead up. Raiders got the kicker we thought we were drafting. Maybe we should look at our ST coordinator. He missed one FG in 9 games for the Raiders.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

vikeinmontana wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:32 pm no one player has ever lost a team a game in any sport ever...
At least not in team sports. :)

I look at it the same way. Games are won and lost over the duration of the game, not just on one play or by one player. Sometimes a player has a significant role in a team loss but that's different.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:18 pm
S197 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm He lost the game but not the playoff spot. It was pretty evident up to and including week 17 this wasn't a playoff team.
They didn't lose the game. ;)

I almost typed that in my initial post though, so I understand the mistake!
True. He cost us a win would be more accurate I suppose.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

He was 15/16 on FGs with the Raiders and hit all of his extra points.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Well, if Carlson had made one of those kicks we would be in the playoffs, wouldn't we?

Also if we hadn't lost to the freakin' Buffalo Bills, we would be in the playoffs.

It's all spilled milk, but it stinks.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida