Vikings extend Kendricks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings extend Kendricks

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

17m

Vikings are signing LB Eric Kendricks to a five-year, $50 million extension that includes $25 million guaranteed, per source.

Adam
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings extend Kendricks

Post by S197 »

Really glad they were able to get this done. He's the top guy I wanted to get re-signed. We have a lot of other very important players but I was a little worried he'd get lost in the mix.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

I like it whenever we are able to extend one of our guys at the end of their rookie contract. That said, he was my fifth priority (after Diggs, Hunter, Waynes and Barr - in that order). Waynes will likely just be a fifth year option for now.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikefan60 wrote:I like it whenever we are able to extend one of our guys at the end of their rookie contract. That said, he was my fifth priority (after Diggs, Hunter, Waynes and Barr - in that order). Waynes will likely just be a fifth year option for now.
Kendricks was your 5th priority? Nobody on that list has been more consistent than Kendricks
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah he is top guy I wanted

Barr is splashy and bigger highs imo

Kendricks is consistent and can make
plays against the pass and the run.

I want to keep Barr but I am not sure
that happens. We have Hunter coming
up as well.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Vikefan60 wrote:I like it whenever we are able to extend one of our guys at the end of their rookie contract. That said, he was my fifth priority (after Diggs, Hunter, Waynes and Barr - in that order). Waynes will likely just be a fifth year option for now.
Kendricks was your 5th priority? Nobody on that list has been more consistent than Kendricks
He means because the others are a year older, I think.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

He had a really rough two game start to the season where he missed a bunch of tackles. After that he rebounded well. His contract is a lot larger than I thought it would be and I'm scared that it means we lose someone. My bet is on Barr. I wage he would be in line for atleast the same 10 million dollar contract as Kendricks. The Vikings like to roll over cash to help with future years and right now we are at 13 million or so. Barr makes sense to do a deal for because he can save us Cap money due to his 12 million 5th year option. However, at 10 million the savings are small. I don't see how Barr will be back with this new deal for Kendricks. My bet is we save the money and roll it over to add to the additional 11 or so million the Cap keeps going up a year. That would net us about 17 million (13 - 6 million for rookies, can't remember if they count against the final cap or the money just has to be in place for them). Not a lot of room. Things are getting tight.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

I didn't say that I didn't want him back. It's really just because of the role/position he plays. If we had to replace one of the five, I think finding a new MLB is easier than DE, CB or WR. Kendricks has been a good guy in the middle, racking up a lot of tackles. He has been inconsistent in coverage and isn't the pass rush threat that Barr is. If it came down to keeping only one of the LBs, it would be Barr (and not "just" because I want to see him rush Rodgers for as long as Aaron is in the league).

What is your prioritized list?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Very happy about this. Not only is Kendricks a great LB, but he is our second best player on the D, right after Smith. Of all the guys we want to re-sign this year, he is the best player. I'm glad the Vikings saw this. The sky is the limit with him, and, IMO, he will provide leadership to this D for a long time to come. We are going to loose one of our good players, and i am guessing it might be Barr. He is more flashy then Kendricks, but also goes dormant for long periods. It will suck if we loose him, but better him then Diggs.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Very happy about this. Not only is Kendricks a great LB, but he is our second best player on the D, right after Smith. Of all the guys we want to re-sign this year, he is the best player. I'm glad the Vikings saw this. The sky is the limit with him, and, IMO, he will provide leadership to this D for a long time to come. We are going to loose one of our good players, and i am guessing it might be Barr. He is more flashy then Kendricks, but also goes dormant for long periods. It will suck if we loose him, but better him then Diggs.
I don't think Kendricks is better than Linval. What I wanted out of Barr more than anything is his ability to cover TE's like Gronk. Being 6'5 is quite an equalizer to those big TEs. He never reached the level of dominance he should be at. His 2nd year was amazing though. Draft will tell a lot. If we grab someone like Lonrenzo Carter (Georgia LB)
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Front loaded contract, $15M the first year, $7.5M the second year. This should help with cap management for the others.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

S197 wrote:Front loaded contract, $15M the first year, $7.5M the second year. This should help with cap management for the others.
Do you have a link for that? I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikefan60 wrote:
I didn't say that I didn't want him back. It's really just because of the role/position he plays. If we had to replace one of the five, I think finding a new MLB is easier than DE, CB or WR. Kendricks has been a good guy in the middle, racking up a lot of tackles. He has been inconsistent in coverage and isn't the pass rush threat that Barr is. If it came down to keeping only one of the LBs, it would be Barr (and not "just" because I want to see him rush Rodgers for as long as Aaron is in the league).

What is your prioritized list?
Diggs
Kendricks
Hunter
Waynes
Barr

I understand what you're saying but I dont know how much of a "pass rush threat" Barr really is. Kendricks has 7.5 sacks in 3 years as a MLB. Barr has 10.5 in 4 years as an outside LB that is suppose to be more of a "pass rusher. I also think Kendricks is much better in coverage than Barr. I mean both players are good players. But I just prefer Kendricks and his overall consistency over Barr.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Making lists is fun!

Hunter
Kendricks
Diggs
Waynes
Barr

Being at the bottom of this list isn't an insult by any means. It's just a good list. In reality we need to resign all of these guys.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I would agree that Kendricks is a higher priority in my opinion than Barr. He's been more consistent and has more versatility. Barr has had a tendency to have some weakness in the passing game and I don't think he really would have the ability to cover a Gronk (but I don't think there are many who can). I think in some ways Barr could be effective in a 3-4 scheme as opposed to here, especially with his pass rushing abilities. I'm wondering how much his demands are in negotiations and whether he may want to test the market?

The top three priorities of these lists I think should be Kendricks, Hunter, and Diggs. One thing that worries me a bit is I heard Diggs retweeted the numbers when Landry and Evans got their deals. His demands could get up there, especially if he stays healthy and has a great season.....