Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million deal

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million

Post by Laserman »

well we got a pretty good QB now. Lets go get us a SB now !!! Hate that that Damn Jimmy Grahm is coming to Greenbay. When that guy is healthy he's tough to defend.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

Here's my concern. We have Cousins, great. I hope he earns every cent of his contract and takes us all the way.
But, what if he gets hurt early? Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater gone. Do we have to trade away another 1st round pick to grab somebody else's backup?

I mean, it's not like we haven't had a QB or two go down lately.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Barry wrote:Here's my concern. We have Cousins, great. I hope he earns every cent of his contract and takes us all the way.
But, what if he gets hurt early? Keenum, Bradford and Bridgewater gone. Do we have to trade away another 1st round pick to grab somebody else's backup?

Plenty of backups still out there. Rick may not be done. Then there's the draft. And Sloter, who they think very highly of.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

kidfozzy. wrote:I will emphasize what I typed from the last thread:

$28 million is bound to happen, we will more than likely lose Kendricks or Hunter now, which will sting.

What gets me mixed about this, is that it’s FULLY GUARANTEED!! This move will make or break a GM, not only that, this will be the new standard of negotiation in the NFL. This just started it.

Spielman, I hope for the sake of the Vikings franchise, you truly know what you’re doing.

——

With that being discussed, luckily we are high in cap availability and yes, letting go both Rudolph and Robison will help the burden of this fully-guaranteed contract. We now need to solidify our offensive line and shore up our defensive backs.
You know those two are still three years away from big deals right? 5th year option on both is 2019. As well as diggs.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Mark my words, the backup qb will be lamar jackson. write that down lol
enforcerupu
Waterboy

Post by enforcerupu »

Barry wrote:Here's my concern. We have Cousins, great. I hope he earns every cent of his contract and takes us all the way.

Redskins fan here. First of all, let me say that you guys got one hell of a QB. While the Redskins have let go 2 top-tier CB and their should-have-been franchise QB, you all can be happy about this signing for sure. I normally don't chime in on forums of other teams, but saw some concerns about injury and such, so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Cousins took over the starting job, officially, in 2015 for the Redskins. He didn't miss a start in any of his 3 full seasons as a starter. On top of that, he was basically sitting on the bench for the vast majority of his first 3 seasons b/c of RGIII, starting I believe only 10 games in total between them. With that being the case, Cousins may be 29, but in terms of the NFL, he's no more than 26/27 (see Aaron Rodgers).

I should also mention that Kirk is much more mobile than many realize, with 13 rushing TD in his 3 seasons as a starter. The only real knock I could give to Cousins is that there are times he tends to hold the ball a little too long, not realizing pressure off the edge in time, hence why he has something like 30 fumbles in those 3 seasons. Though, for what it's worth, he was under immense pressure most of the time due to the Redskins pitiful excuse for a run game to alleviate any of that.

Not sure if that helps ease any concerns you guys have, but wanted to add that in. Definitely makes sense to need a competent backup, but Cousins has been incredibly during so far. Hopefully for you guys, that continues to be the case.

Best of luck and I hope to see Cousins thrive, if for no other reason than to make the Redskins realize just how badly they screwed this up.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

enforcerupu wrote:

Redskins fan here. First of all, let me say that you guys got one hell of a QB. While the Redskins have let go 2 top-tier CB and their should-have-been franchise QB, you all can be happy about this signing for sure. I normally don't chime in on forums of other teams, but saw some concerns about injury and such, so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. Cousins took over the starting job, officially, in 2015 for the Redskins. He didn't miss a start in any of his 3 full seasons as a starter. On top of that, he was basically sitting on the bench for the vast majority of his first 3 seasons b/c of RGIII, starting I believe only 10 games in total between them. With that being the case, Cousins may be 29, but in terms of the NFL, he's no more than 26/27 (see Aaron Rodgers).

I should also mention that Kirk is much more mobile than many realize, with 13 rushing TD in his 3 seasons as a starter. The only real knock I could give to Cousins is that there are times he tends to hold the ball a little too long, not realizing pressure off the edge in time, hence why he has something like 30 fumbles in those 3 seasons. Though, for what it's worth, he was under immense pressure most of the time due to the Redskins pitiful excuse for a run game to alleviate any of that.

Not sure if that helps ease any concerns you guys have, but wanted to add that in. Definitely makes sense to need a competent backup, but Cousins has been incredibly during so far. Hopefully for you guys, that continues to be the case.

Best of luck and I hope to see Cousins thrive, if for no other reason than to make the Redskins realize just how badly they screwed this up.
Thanks for the info! I'm very excited to watch him play with thielen, diggs, and cook. The Vikings should spend the rest of their resources in the draft and free agency to make sure he has the protection he needs up front and look to add more weapons around him.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

dead_poet wrote:Is it just me or is that catchphrase already feeling dated?
WHAT UP COUSINS!

[emoji3]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatio Talk
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Hopefully he'll become a team Captain. Then he could be Captain Kirk :gone:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:Hopefully he'll become a team Captain. Then he could be Captain Kirk :gone:
GDI
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Cliff wrote:Hopefully he'll become a team Captain. Then he could be Captain Kirk :gone:
Now that's a good one !!!
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Not sure it deserves a new thread, but Nfl.com is reporting the vikes are going to sign siemian from the broncos for a back up.

Guess we can’t say that the Vikings do not address the QB situation anymore.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dkoby wrote:Not sure it deserves a new thread, but Nfl.com is reporting the vikes are going to sign siemian from the broncos for a back up.

Hopefully they addressed it adequately.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fonzbear2000
Practice Squad

Post by fonzbear2000 »

I don't understand why everyone is so excited and supportive of this. Cousins started every game with the Redskins for the last 3 years and look at their win loss records. 9-7, 8-7-1, and finally a pathetic 7-9. Before he got injured last year, Bradford played an amazing game and Keenum took the team to the championship game. Why on earth aren't the Vikings keeping those 2 for the upcoming season? At the very least, they should have kept one of them. I'd love to hear the explanations from the owner and coaches of the Vikings.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dkoby wrote:Not sure it deserves a new thread, but Nfl.com is reporting the vikes are going to sign siemian from the broncos for a back up.

I think they finally really addressed it. For the first time in as long as Ive been following them.

First off Cousins is a great QB. We had to pay for it, but other teams had to pay big time for the final pieces too. I personally would have went another route, but i am certainly no GM, HC, or money manager.

Siemian to me looks like a great backup QB, like case was before he was our starter. Plus Rick got him for on one heck of a deal. Score another for Rick. I am so glad to be saying that cause for years I thought Rick was part of the problem, even while VP of Player Personal.

Lastly we have whats basically a rookie QB, Sloter, who should know the Vikings inside and out by now. And I am trusting that Rick and the coaches see something is Sloter that I dont, and think he is something we can use later on, hopefully much later on. But we gotta get this Oline in shape, no weak links in the line at all. And a Kicker that didnt stop your hear on every extra point would be nice.