Is this some BS?? Panthers player to call Rams - Vikes game!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Trkn10
Practice Squad

Is this some BS?? Panthers player to call Rams - Vikes game!

Post by Trkn10 »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vik ... li=BBnb7Kz

The anti-Vikings cabal is at it again!

I know Cam Newton is much more of a media darling than Case Keenum is, but why in the hell would the NFL allow FOX to put Greg Olsen in the booth for the Rams - Vikings game??? Does this seem just a little strange. and mildly inappropriate?? I don't ever remember something like this before. I hope Spielman and Zimmer raise holy hell with the league about it as I believe it will give the Panthers an unfair advantage owing to the unique insight Olsen will get.

If I was Zimmer I would give them all the wrong times for production meetings. Even him being in the booth as a color commentator enables him to benefit from real-time analysis of play development and execution, skill match-up, etc...

Total BS!! :wallbang:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Is this some BS?? Panthers player to call Rams - Vikes g

Post by 808vikingsfan »

FOX: Greg Olsen’s pregame access will be restricted

Of course, Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis will have access to the team and its practice, and nothing really stops them from sharing information gleaned through the process to Olsen as they prepare to broadcast the Rams-Vikings games. That fact could make the Vikings (and the Rams) more guarded than usual when dealing with FOX in advance of Sunday’s game.
Ugg. Burkhardt and Davis again.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Trkn10 wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vik ... li=BBnb7Kz

The anti-Vikings cabal is at it again!

I know Cam Newton is much more of a media darling than Case Keenum is, but why in the hell would the NFL allow FOX to put Greg Olsen in the booth for the Rams - Vikings game??? Does this seem just a little strange. and mildly inappropriate?? I don't ever remember something like this before. I hope Spielman and Zimmer raise holy hell with the league about it as I believe it will give the Panthers an unfair advantage owing to the unique insight Olsen will get.

If I was Zimmer I would give them all the wrong times for production meetings. Even him being in the booth as a color commentator enables him to benefit from real-time analysis of play development and execution, skill match-up, etc...

Total BS!! :wallbang:
That's pure and utter BS...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I agree. He should be doing a game against two AFC teams. I know AFC is usually CBS but I think Carolina plays both teams later in the year.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

This seems like a complete non-issue to me. When Shumur calls a poor game, the Vikings typically telegraph everything they're gonna do on offense anyway, so if that game comes against the Panthers, it won't be Olsen's "intel" that helps them out.

This experience will be akin to being a Groomsmen or something similar for Olsen. Leading up it will seem like photos and ceremony and reception will take forever, then the game'll be over and it'll have gone by so fast he won't have even stopped to think.

Just as we take Keenum one game at a time, so to should we be taking the games. No point in being concerned about a potential peek at a gameplan presumably unique for the Los Angeles Rams.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

TheCoolerOne wrote:This seems like a complete non-issue to me. When Shumur calls a poor game, the Vikings typically telegraph everything they're gonna do on offense anyway, so if that game comes against the Panthers, it won't be Olsen's "intel" that helps them out.

This experience will be akin to being a Groomsmen or something similar for Olsen. Leading up it will seem like photos and ceremony and reception will take forever, then the game'll be over and it'll have gone by so fast he won't have even stopped to think.

Just as we take Keenum one game at a time, so to should we be taking the games. No point in being concerned about a potential peek at a gameplan presumably unique for the Los Angeles Rams.

It's not about an entire gameplan. It could be one trick play, or one play that will set up another play. The issue here is there's a potential for the Panthers to gain an advantage.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Any press access Olsen gets will be known to the coaches, which means if the coaches are smart they'll make sure whatever Olsen sees is either useless or intentionally misleading.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

VikingLord wrote:Any press access Olsen gets will be known to the coaches, which means if the coaches are smart they'll make sure whatever Olsen sees is either useless or intentionally misleading.
But Olsen will spend hours with the FOX crew and announcers who will have access. The potential is there, intentional or not.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I don't even know why the league is putting him in this position. It's so dumb. I don't think it's going to matter much but it's still stupid and easily avoidable/remedied. But the NFL is all..."Nah."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Charley Casserly on the NFL Network is PI$$ED about this. He thinks it's the biggest bunch of BS he's seen and can't believe Roger Goodell is allowing this to happen.

He also concedes there's not much the Vikings can do about it.

What I want to know is, how is this more acceptable than Spygate?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Trkn10
Practice Squad

Post by Trkn10 »

TheCoolerOne wrote:This seems like a complete non-issue to me.
Actually, this is a huge issue. How in good conscience does the NFL allow a network to bring in a player to call a game when that player will face the same team 3 weeks later??? They know damn well that Olsen will have access to information that is not normally available to players active on a team's roster.

I have a pretty good memory and can't ever remember the last time a player on a team's active roster took part in something like this during the season.

Seriously, there aren't other former players out there from either the Rams or Vikings that they can bring in to add that "unique perspective" they're looking for?? This is a sham and Zimmer should have every meeting an hour before the published time with the Fox crew and then use the scheduled time to talk about his eye surgeries.

How do you think Bellichick would react if this was happening to the Patriots, or Tomlin to the Steelers??

It's all part of the NFL's narrative to see that the larger than life personalities bring up the ratings at the sacrifice of good drama-free teams.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

How much information do you guys think the team is feeding the media? I feel like if there was truly so much to gain, teams would be using this to their advantage and either buying the information or setting up relationships, and in that case we should all understand why nobody would want Chris Spielman in the business. I mean if we're worried about the information Olsen will get this week because the booth partners might divulge, what kind of trepidation do you imagine other teams have when our GM's brother walks into the room? Shoot, that's EVERY week, not just one, that's way worse.

I'm inclined to think this is not a big deal, and if it is, we're the last team that should be complaining.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Vikings need to make this a non issue and just beat the Panthers.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I do agree that this was a BS move by the league but have to give him props.....he did very well.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

autobon7 wrote:I do agree that this was a BS move by the league but have to give him props.....he did very well.
He really did. I remember when I first turned the game on, I forgot that he was doing the game. After about 3 plays, I thought, "Who's that? He really knows what he's talking about." It was Olsen.

That being said, I still think it was inappropriate for the league to allow a future opponent to analyze this game. Greg Olsen will be a great analyst after he retires. Probably better than anybody Fox has working for them right now. But this shouldn't have been the time.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.