2017 draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Re: 2017 draft thread

Post by Husker Vike »

I agree that we would have to give up a lot to move up for Lamp or Cam Robinson.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

YikesVikes wrote: Lmao!!!!
Are you serious?
Quite serious!

Are you seriously laughing your backside off that anyone would hold this opinion? If so, which QB would you rather have drafted? Or did you think Sean Hill was the savior?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I wouldnt mind staying put either. Or just move up a few spots when the time comes. Dont forget, Feeney is still out there too who isnt too far off Lamp. I want nothing to do with Cam Robinson. I havent liked what I've seen on tape from him and Alabama OL havent had a great NFL history lately
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Texas Vike wrote:Here goes the Eagles with the pick we sent them... I'd still take Bradford.
Yup....me too.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I would rather the Vikings not trade up - even though there are two very good offensive linemen on the board.

We need depth at multiple positions and this draft has plenty of players that fill our needs and can contribute this season.
Very good point. Now let's see if we give up too much for someone we could have done without and have less picks to work with.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

autobon7 wrote: Yup....me too.

Especially when you consider the talent level and what teams had to give up to get it. All three teams (CHI, KC, and HOU) gave up a LOT of picks to move up for guys who are not as proven as Bradford was when we acquired him. Furthermore, based on his impressive season with us, it seems absurd that anyone would even question that. I am critical of the Ricker at times, but I think that move was justified and the best move given the situation.

Do I wish they had developed a better plan B behind Teddy? Yes. Most definitely. Which is why I'm hoping that they use one of their 4ths or their 5th on a QB tomorrow. I kind of doubt that they will given the signing of Case Keenum.

I think we'd have to give up both of our 3rds to go up and get Lamp. I don't know that his talent level is so much higher than what will be available at 48 to justify that move. Time to go watch some tape. To me, I'd rather sit tight and hold onto those 3rd rounders.

Also, Dalvin Cook is still available. Somewhat surprising.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote: Quite serious!

Are you seriously laughing your backside off that anyone would hold this opinion? If so, which QB would you rather have drafted? Or did you think Sean Hill was the savior?
I think looking for a "savior" would be/was a mistake. It would be best if they had not traded for Bradford before last season, had the 14th overall this year, and traded a 3rd/4th for Bradford before the draft. On the last year of his contract, with a big salary #, a team that needs cap room, and has their QB of the future already on the roster. Bradford would've been quire affordable/cheap to acquire. The Vikings basically paid a lot for him to go 7-8 last season. Thats the extent of the actual return they got for the 14th overall pick. One season of play.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Texas Vike wrote:

Especially when you consider the talent level and what teams had to give up to get it. All three teams (CHI, KC, and HOU) gave up a LOT of picks to move up for guys who are not as proven as Bradford was when we acquired him. Furthermore, based on his impressive season with us, it seems absurd that anyone would even question that. I am critical of the Ricker at times, but I think that move was justified and the best move given the situation.

Do I wish they had developed a better plan B behind Teddy? Yes. Most definitely. Which is why I'm hoping that they use one of their 4ths or their 5th on a QB tomorrow. I kind of doubt that they will given the signing of Case Keenum.

I think we'd have to give up both of our 3rds to go up and get Lamp. I don't know that his talent level is so much higher than what will be available at 48 to justify that move. Time to go watch some tape. To me, I'd rather sit tight and hold onto those 3rd rounders.

quote]

I'd like to see us sit tight also.....we lost some quality players to FA and or retirement and need to restock.
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

The only way we could get Lamp would be to trade up with the Packers to jump the Seahawks. They have other interest in that pick and it would be way too expensive. We are best off just waiting till our pick and taking BPA. Im hoping it is Mcdowell from MSU. Hes got obvious talent and just needs to get his head on straight. Everson could be the mentor he needs to keep him on track.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

beerfan wrote:The only way we could get Lamp would be to trade up with the Packers to jump the Seahawks. They have other interest in that pick and it would be way too expensive. We are best off just waiting till our pick and taking BPA. Im hoping it is Mcdowell from MSU. Hes got obvious talent and just needs to get his head on straight. Everson could be the mentor he needs to keep him on track.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
I would prefer to take a player who doesn't need to get his head on straight. There will be talented players who don't have character flags.

What the hell was that mess with Taxadermist McKinley last night, by the way? UGH, I couldn't even watch! I was cringing and covering my eyes.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

fiestavike wrote:
I think looking for a "savior" would be/was a mistake. It would be best if they had not traded for Bradford before last season, had the 14th overall this year, and traded a 3rd/4th for Bradford before the draft. On the last year of his contract, with a big salary #, a team that needs cap room, and has their QB of the future already on the roster. Bradford would've been quire affordable/cheap to acquire. The Vikings basically paid a lot for him to go 7-8 last season. Thats the extent of the actual return they got for the 14th overall pick. One season of play.
That scenario would be a huge gamble......hoping that SB would still be available. What if he would have had an All Pro year for Philly? Id imagine that would change the entire QB landscape at that point. I think what most pro SB/trade folks are saying is that he is a proven commodity as opposed to any of the guys that were chosen last night.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote: Grabbing tackles in FA is looking to be pretty smart right now. So is Bradford, unless you think Mahomes is worth double (2 1st round picks).
I posted a link to an article awhile back about he state of the College OL in the NFL game. It had a money quote in it that something like two (!) out of the 30 OL drafted in the first few round cracked the starting line up of their respective teams. Pete Carrol has also lamented this issue publicly during press conferences over the past two seasons.

My sense of it is that the overall draft equity of the position is falling due to the risk factors and long transition time for MOST players. The bonus of drafting a guy is increasingly the 5 year contract at relatively low pay vs. the big pay day of FA. On the flipside, the FA guy is a proven commodity and usually has less uncertainty due to his having several seasons of NFL tape.

That is why I agree on them taking Tackles in FA as being the correct approach. They couldn't afford the risk of drafting rookies in this environment and basically hoping they'd get lucky on the transition time.

Interestingly, Mike Zimmer has been quoted saying similar things about DBs and how they have to learn to play Bump and Run when they get to the NFL, which takes time. Yet yesterday 25% of the picks (8) went to CB and S. I heard a stat this AM that NFL Defenses are spending on average 50% of their time with 5 DBs on the field. Perhaps competing dynamics here...
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Especially when you consider the talent level and what teams had to give up to get it. All three teams (CHI, KC, and HOU) gave up a LOT of picks to move up for guys who are not as proven as Bradford was when we acquired him. Furthermore, based on his impressive season with us, it seems absurd that anyone would even question that.
I definitely don't think it was a laughable move but honestly, I don't think it's absurd to question it either and I like Bradford. Teams paid a hefty price to move up and select QBs yesterday but the Vikings obviously wouldn't have been obligated to use the first round pick they traded for Bradford on a QB. They could have used it to address any position.

There's a lot to consider, including Bradford's uncertain future with the team. Did the Vikings give up first and fourth round picks so Bradford can be a two year "rental" for them at QB? In terms of team-building and resource allocation, how do we weigh a first round pick for 2 years of service at a very high salary against 4 years of potential service at a rookie salary with the option for a 5th year at a higher rate?

Eventually, we can factor in how Bradford performs, what happens with him after 2017, etc. but if he's not a Viking after 2 years, I'd consider it a debatable use of a first round pick.

In terms of R2 and R3: I'm just hoping for interior line and good decisions. I really hope they stay away from Mixon.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

fiestavike wrote:
I look at it quite differently and I especially disagree with the statement, "The Vikings basically paid a lot for him to go 7-8 last season."

But this would lead us far from the thread's topic, so I'll just leave it. :gone:

I'm interested to see what GB does with their pick. Their needs (CB, OG, RB) line up pretty darn well with the board right now. I'm guessing they take Lamp, though.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

autobon7 wrote:
That scenario would be a huge gamble......hoping that SB would still be available. What if he would have had an All Pro year for Philly?
That's a pretty unlikely scenario, but sure, suppose he had an All Pro year for Philly. They could get him for a 1st or 2nd, or pursue Cousins/Garrapolo/McCarron if they like one of those players better long term, or draft a QB if they like one of those guys. Basically they'd have options. There's really no way to around the fact that the return on the 1st/4th round picks was used up last year. Basically pissed it away for a 8-8 season. Very shortsighted, panic driven move. It was Spielman at his worst.

Much more likely scenario is they could have had Bradford for just the 4 they gave away for him already and still had their first round pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins