2016 draft: offensive linemen to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

slapnut19
Transition Player

Re: 2016 draft: offensive linemen to watch

Post by slapnut19 »

only 17 reps of 225 for whitehair yesterday. for an interior lineman with short arms that's a horrible performance. for comparison's sake waynes put up 19 reps last year.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Landon Turner might be a fit in our system.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... don-turner
STRENGTHS: An imposing blocker with a thick lower body and core strength that allows him to latch-and-drive defenders with his hands. Has a wide base and anchors well, squaring to his target and dominating in a phone booth. Keeps his elbows in to quickly recoil and time up his punch. Able to crowd gaps and slow down multiple rushers; covers a large surface area with his wingspan. Has a nasty streak to him and finishes through the whistle. Uses consistent knee bend to generate point of attack burst from his lower body to be a physical people mover in the run game, showing patience and discipline. Snaps his hips at contact and will bowl over bodies in his way.
WEAKNESSES: Not a rangy player and his lack of hip flexibility shows in space. He can be too patient at times, which causes him to be late with his hands, relying on his big-bodied frame to do much of the work. Allows his upper body to get overextended, falling off balance and ending up on the ground. Heavy-footed and struggles to pull or climb to the second level and cut off linebackers. Lacks the necessary springs in his legs to generate power from his legs. Not a rangy blocker and the less space he has to work with, the better.

IN OUR VIEW: With some similarities to Duke's Laken Tomlinson a year ago, Turner is a physical masher in the run game, using his road-grading style to press defenders from his frame and generate movement. He has his athletic limitations, which will drop him down some draft boards, but he has starting potential for a run heavy scheme.

--Dane Brugler (2/4/16)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Ryan Kelly - C - Crimson Tide

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah says Alabama C Ryan Kelly is "going to be a Pro Bowl player with even All-Pro potential."

Jeremiah has been banging the drum loudly for Kelly for some time now. Very rarely do we hear other analysts touch on this prospect unless it's Jeremiah predicting he'll be special. Last month, in fact, Jeremiah said Kelly was one of the best interior offensive linemen to come out in the last five years. Kelly, a three-year SEC starter, declined a Senior Bowl invite, one reason he's been a forgotten man early in the process.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Ryan Kelly - C - Crimson Tide

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah says Alabama C Ryan Kelly is "going to be a Pro Bowl player with even All-Pro potential."

Jeremiah has been banging the drum loudly for Kelly for some time now. Very rarely do we hear other analysts touch on this prospect unless it's Jeremiah predicting he'll be special. Last month, in fact, Jeremiah said Kelly was one of the best interior offensive linemen to come out in the last five years. Kelly, a three-year SEC starter, declined a Senior Bowl invite, one reason he's been a forgotten man early in the process.
Source: NFL.com
It seems to be somewhat of a boon at center this year. It would be good if we could snag a guy like Kelly. Grab a guard and a center and a safety or another LB and this team would be leaps and bounds better. Add a QB in there somewhere to add depth. Book it.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

And here's an evaluation saying it matters, to an extent.

Scouting report: Ronnie Stanley no. 1 overall?

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/28/11184 ... emy-tunsil
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Great interview with Taylor Decker: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2628 ... art-mid-16
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'm told #BoiseState OT Rees Odhiambo had a private workout with the #Saints recently. Also has visits lined up with the #Vikings and #Bucs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Add San Diego St. OL Darrell Greene to the list of draft prospects visiting the #Vikings today/tomorrow, I'm told. Had a good Combine.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Germain Ifedi/OL/Texas A&M visiting the Minnesota Vikings tomorrow
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

So much good info in this thread and fantastic analysis (tons by DP, where've you been?) and yet it was all for naught and here we sit, our season fading away because of a woeful OL. As DP points out OL talent takes time to develop, so the most worrisome thing is that we have such a dearth of talent that we're developing. We aren't going to be able to fix our problems in one season and we are dreadfully behind in developing a decent OL.

:cry: Maybe I should go into hiding too.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

OL drafted since 2011
Demaucus Love
Fusco
Kalil
Jeff Baca
Travis Bond
David Yankey
Clemmings
Tyrus Thompson
Austin Shepherd
Beavers
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Nunin wrote:OL drafted since 2011
Demaucus Love
Fusco
Kalil
Jeff Baca
Travis Bond
David Yankey
Clemmings
Tyrus Thompson
Austin Shepherd
Beavers
What happened to Shepherd? Didn't we re-sign him?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

PurpleMustReign wrote: What happened to Shepherd? Didn't we re-sign him?
I really doan know. You could probably ask that about everyone of these guys though. It's been an amazing streak of injury and.... inepititude?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

That's a sad list right there. Studwell needs to think about hiring a better OL scout or three.