I don't get it.....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I don't get it.....

Post by Boon »

How didn't we clinch a spot today? Atl is 7-7 and we're 9-5. Even if they win out and we lose out, which makes us tied, we beat them in week 12. Someone enlighten me as to why atl is still in it? I thought head to head is always the first tiebreaker?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: I don't get it.....

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote:How didn't we clinch a spot today? Atl is 7-7 and we're 9-5. Even if they win out and we lose out, which makes us tied, we beat them in week 12. Someone enlighten me as to why atl is still in it? I thought head to head is always the first tiebreaker?
It has to do with a three way tie thing. There is a post about it elsewhere on the board.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

If the Vikings were to wind up in 3-way tie with ATL and SEA at 9-7, they'd lose out on strength of victory. Head to head gets thrown out with three teams.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

dead_poet wrote:If the Vikings were to wind up in 3-way tie with ATL and SEA at 9-7, they'd lose out on strength of victory. Head to head gets thrown out with three teams.
Actually head to head does not get thrown out. If one of the 3 teams sweeps the other 2 then they win the tie breaker. If we had beaten Seattle then we would win the tie breaker since we also beat Atlanta.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

dead_poet wrote:If the Vikings were to wind up in 3-way tie with ATL and SEA at 9-7, they'd lose out on strength of victory. Head to head gets thrown out with three teams.
Although, you have to believe that the Falcons are going to beat the Panthers next week. Remember, the Panthers have not locked up the number 1 seed yet. They have to win next week to do that. AZ can still take that number one seed if the Panthers lose the next two and the Cards win the next two.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Raptorman wrote: Although, you have to believe that the Falcons are going to beat the Panthers next week. Remember, the Panthers have not locked up the number 1 seed yet. They have to win next week to do that. AZ can still take that number one seed if the Panthers lose the next two and the Cards win the next two.
I am assuming that you meant the Falcons aren't going to beat the Panthers.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Purple Reign wrote: I am assuming that you meant the Falcons aren't going to beat the Panthers.
No, for a three way tie the Falcons have to beat the Panthers. So, unless that happens, the Vikings are in. At this point in time, only the Falcons can knock the Vikings out of the playoffs.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I can see Atlanta winning that game. The game is in Atlanta. I am glad Carolina hasn't sewn up home field. Hopefully Cam keeps his MVP like season going.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

I had the same question, thanks for the info.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

At this point, no other team matters. If the Vikings win next week they're in. Of course there's the scenario where they get in with a Falcons loss. But they can also get in with a Seahawks win. However, the only one I care about is the Vikings getting in by winning.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

akvikingsfan wrote:At this point, no other team matters. If the Vikings win next week they're in. Of course there's the scenario where they get in with a Falcons loss. But they can also get in with a Seahawks win. However, the only one I care about is the Vikings getting in by winning.
Same here and that's how I want them to get in anyway: by winning their way in, not by backing in because of a loss by another team.
Canuck
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Canuck »

So if Seattle wins next week the Vikings are in no matter what right.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Canuck wrote:So if Seattle wins next week the Vikings are in no matter what right.
Yep. It's deciphered here pretty well: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/12/21 ... f-scenario
Once again, the only scenario that keeps the Vikings out of the playoffs is as follows:

-Two Minnesota losses, AND
-Two Seattle losses, AND
-Two Atlanta wins

Which means that they get into the playoffs with:

-One Minnesota win, OR
-One Seattle win, OR
-One Atlanta loss

Hopefully that clarifies why it is that, while the Vikings are 99% into the post-season picture at this point, there's still that little bit of chance that they won't get there. I don't know about you, but I think we can safely project the Vikings to make the post-season tournament.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Canuck
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Canuck »

dead_poet wrote: Yep. It's deciphered here pretty well: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/12/21 ... f-scenario
Awesome thank you!
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Well, chances are we are "backing in" to the playoffs. The early game features the Panthers and the Falcons, and if the Falcons lose, we're in. If the Falcons pull off the monumental upset, then the 3 pm (CST) game with the Seahawks and the Rams can put us in with a Seahawks win (not too unlikely). So to me, the chance we are already in the playoffs by game time is about 90%.

And if the Packers lose to the Cardinals at the same time as the Seahawks win and maybe Washington loses, it sets up this weird scenario where the game against the Giants has no playoff implications at all. The Seahawks win means that the #5 slot isn't available to us. It's either #6 or the division and it all depends on week 17. A Packers loss guarantees that a loss by the Vikes still allows us to play for the division in week 17.

And applying Murphy's law, the fact that they flexed the game to Sunday night almost guarantees that it will have no playoff implications! :lol: