Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Lars »

mosscarter wrote: ....i wouldn't be surprised if we see a multi-million dollar lawsuit filed within the next couple of weeks. and the truth is, he should win if he sues.

Not likely... but that would be ironic.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

To everyone who thinks that this situation was just a matter of political correctness, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not politically correct, I hate when political correctness overrules commonsense, as it often does, but this is not one if those times.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:What really baffles me is, Josh Brent and Donte Stallworth both KILLED PEOPLE and were back in the league within a year. Stallworth was actually back in the league in 30 DAYS!! Yet Plaxico Burress shoots HIMSELF and is suspended for 2 years. Now Peterson goes overboard disciplining his kid, and is done for the season and given no timetable. There is just no consistency whatsoever throughout the NFL. And Goodell is trying to use Peterson as a bandaid for all his other #### ups. He has to go before this league goes up in flames
From an objective sense, this league is nowhere even CLOSE to going up in flames, it is as profitable and popular now as it has ever been and that likely will not change any time soon.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purpnation wrote:To everyone who thinks that this situation was just a matter of political correctness, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not politically correct, I hate when political correctness overrules commonsense, as it often does, but this is not one if those times.
What situation? Are you referring to the NFL's suspension of Peterson?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero -- The NFLPA has filed its grievance on behalf of Adrian Peterson, arguing NFL was not objective and acted inconsistently with CBA due process.
@TomPelissero -- Corrected: NFLPA has filed its APPEAL on behalf of Adrian Peterson, arguing NFL was not objective and inconsistent with due process of CBA.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:

Well, that's interesting. What happens now?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:
Well, that's interesting. What happens now?
Tom Pelissero explains it pretty well here:

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/19266347/
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

Purpnation wrote:To everyone who thinks that this situation was just a matter of political correctness, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Whatever "political correctness" means... From my point of view, political correctness as a perjurious term is defined by the opinions of whomever disagrees with me... :wink:

The ruling on Peterson has come down. He's can't play for the rest of the year or the playoffs (if some miracle happens). In my opinion the rest of his career is ruined. His good name is dung. He will never live this down. It seems to me that -- whatever we think -- Peterson has reaped the consequences of his actions and they are severe. It's time to accept it. I for one, wish him well -- not because he doesn't deserve all of the crap heaped on him -- but for his sake and for the sake of his family going forward. Tomorrow is another day. Go and sin no more.
Last edited by Lars on Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

:lol:
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

In the end, our team will simply need to clearly realize that it needs to move on and earn a championship without AP. Realistically,its not the worst situation as his contract was absurdly huge, he had failed to carry us to a Super Bowl while in his prime and in this passing oriented league most pundits do not believe that a RB centered team can do that anyway. If we can exit his contract and move on, its not so bad. Its just demoralizing that we had yet another black stain on our team.

The league has had a lot of criminals. The Ravens seem to attract them. The Bears had a drug dealer. The Steelers have a rapist wanna-be. Its not just in MN obviously.

The courts often do a piss poor job of justice. I have seen a number of abusers get misdemeanors, retain possession of their kid, and eventually kill or maim the poor kid. Such is life in the US and elsewhere. Kids are voiceless victims and hence, tempting targets for people with deranged urges.

Lets just hope that we can get back to actually ENJOYING (sorry caps lol) football someday soon in MN.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

dead_poet wrote:Adrian Peterson's appeal letter: http://a.espncdn.com/pdf/2014/1120/Adri ... INAL_r.pdf
Thanks for posting that.

Interesting point that I had not considered:
First, your November 18 discipline letter expressly imposes discipline on Mr. Peterson
pursuant to the August 28 Policy—enacted after all of the conduct at issue occurred.
Well-established principles of just cause and industrial due process require prior notice of
consequences for an employee’s actions and prohibit such ex post facto punishment.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Since I’m a Vikings Fan I am biased, but I find it pretty hard to disagree with the position the NFLPA is taking on this. The thing that really gets me is the fact that AP and his representation agreed to a deal with the NFL back in September to try and help mitigate the PR mess back in September mess. Peterson honored his end of this agreement and now the NFL is acting in bad faith with this suspension. AP’s representation is right to demand a neutral arbitrator.

I have had a lot of issues with this mess:

At a basic level, I greatly dislike the idea that the NFL or the rage of the societal mob should somehow override the laws we have on paper is quite frankly scary. This has played out more like the Salem Witch Trials than a civil court of law where AP is judged by a Jury of his peers. The behavior of the popular culture is to basically say our criminal courts are invalid and society should instead provide an additional punishment, in other words a lynch mob.

The NFL is also pathetic and the current state is no greater example of this. What could have been a fantastic opportunity to champion the cause of eliminating domestic child abuse is now lost as we shift gears to watching the utter incompetence of the league office and how it tries to navigate the PR quagmire its ineptitude has created. This to me is the biggest tragedy in all of this. AP’s actions were reprehensible, but now due to a need by the NFL to appease amoral sponsors and a public lynch mob, the real issue has been lost. It really begs the question of what was REALLY important here? Disgusting.

Now we get to the suspension. The NFL is basically saying AP will be suspended for AT LEAT 15 games and they will not even consider reinstatement until April 15th. I personally think this is beyond the pale of two reasons: First the NFL said AP’s time on the Exempt List would be considered time served. How much punishment is appropriate? Obviously this is due in part to the NFL being worried about PR so they are trying to make an example of AP. Second: They are sticking it not just to AP, but also to the Vikings and us, the Fans. Here is why: Now the Vikings Front Office has to not only endure a season without their best player, but also have to navigate an offseason with total uncertainty as to whether their best player will even be available to them. Do we spend Salary Cap dollars on a RB now? Do we spend a first day pick on the position? Or do they gamble the NFL, who has acted in bad faith to this point, will finally do the right thing? As a fan this just enrages me.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

mansquatch wrote:Since I’m a Vikings Fan I am biased, but I find it pretty hard to disagree with the position the NFLPA is taking on this. The thing that really gets me is the fact that AP and his representation agreed to a deal with the NFL back in September to try and help mitigate the PR mess back in September mess. Peterson honored his end of this agreement and now the NFL is acting in bad faith with this suspension. AP’s representation is right to demand a neutral arbitrator.

I have had a lot of issues with this mess:

At a basic level, I greatly dislike the idea that the NFL or the rage of the societal mob should somehow override the laws we have on paper is quite frankly scary. This has played out more like the Salem Witch Trials than a civil court of law where AP is judged by a Jury of his peers. The behavior of the popular culture is to basically say our criminal courts are invalid and society should instead provide an additional punishment, in other words a lynch mob.

The NFL is also pathetic and the current state is no greater example of this. What could have been a fantastic opportunity to champion the cause of eliminating domestic child abuse is now lost as we shift gears to watching the utter incompetence of the league office and how it tries to navigate the PR quagmire its ineptitude has created. This to me is the biggest tragedy in all of this. AP’s actions were reprehensible, but now due to a need by the NFL to appease amoral sponsors and a public lynch mob, the real issue has been lost. It really begs the question of what was REALLY important here? Disgusting.

Now we get to the suspension. The NFL is basically saying AP will be suspended for AT LEAT 15 games and they will not even consider reinstatement until April 15th. I personally think this is beyond the pale of two reasons: First the NFL said AP’s time on the Exempt List would be considered time served. How much punishment is appropriate? Obviously this is due in part to the NFL being worried about PR so they are trying to make an example of AP. Second: They are sticking it not just to AP, but also to the Vikings and us, the Fans. Here is why: Now the Vikings Front Office has to not only endure a season without their best player, but also have to navigate an offseason with total uncertainty as to whether their best player will even be available to them. Do we spend Salary Cap dollars on a RB now? Do we spend a first day pick on the position? Or do they gamble the NFL, who has acted in bad faith to this point, will finally do the right thing? As a fan this just enrages me.
Great post.

To your last point, I think the Vikings clearly have to release AP now. The upside of having him on the roster at such a large cap number was limited as it was. Add in the extra risk and uncertainty that you outline and it becomes an almost no-brainer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Noxage wrote:Great post.
I agree. Well done, Mansquatch.
To your last point, I think the Vikings clearly have to release AP now. The upside of having him on the roster at such a large cap number was limited as it was. Add in the extra risk and uncertainty that you outline and it becomes an almost no-brainer.
To keep him, they'd probably have to convince him to renegotiate his contract for considerably less money and perhaps even restructure it in a way that seriously reduces their risk. I doubt that's going to happen.