Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The NFL administration is a joke.

You have a hearing scheduled for Monday, so you call a pre-meeting for Friday? Won't reveal what you're going to ask? Who's going to be there? No arbitrator? No rules?

This was an attempt at an ambush, pure and simple. AP and his team did exactly what they should have done.

What a bunch of idiots Goodell and his minions are.
And you might even be insulting idiots by calling Goodell one.

I'm really getting fed up with Goodell and his one-note act.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I knew this crap would happen, and it is crap. Im no AD supporter, but I doubt if this superstar were on any other team, this would happen, man this burns me.
So you think the only reason this is happening is that Goodell has some sort of vendetta against the Vikings? Why would you say that? :roll:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Interesting read:

Armour: Adrian Peterson waits on NFL, and game suffers
Adrian Peterson isn't the only one being punished for Roger Goodell's mistakes.

The Minnesota Vikings dropped to last in the NFC North on Sunday with a 21-13 loss to the Chicago Bears. By forcing Peterson to sit while Goodell and the NFL try to "get it right" with the personal conduct policy, the league is actually compromising the integrity of the game.

Peterson, after all, has rushed for 14 touchdowns against the Bears, more than he's had against any other opponent. He's gouged the Bears for an average of 116.3 yards per game, second-highest of the teams he's faced four times or more.

Imagine if Peterson was playing after Harrison Smith's interception gave them the ball at the Bears 27 late in the third. Or when the Vikings and their rookie quarterback were marching deep into Bears territory during the two-minute drill – without knowing exactly how much time was left, no less, thanks to a malfunctioning clock.
The players and their union have long resented Goodell's role as judge and jury when it comes to disciplinary matters, and they've been itching for a scenario just such as this to try and force changes. By not reinstating Peterson as soon as he pleaded no contest to a reduced charge almost two weeks ago, and then imposing new conditions on the process, Goodell practically gift-wrapped it for them.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Purple Reign wrote: So you think the only reason this is happening is that Goodell has some sort of vendetta against the Vikings? Why would you say that? :roll:
No, but I think its easier for him to do then if AD were playing for the Cowgirls, Denver, NE, etc. I think he would have already stated whats going to happen.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Anybody heard any news on this?
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

How many seasons does AP have after this year? 2? 3? Looks like it will be at least 2 years for the team excluding AP to become good.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: No, but I think its easier for him to do then if AD were playing for the Cowgirls, Denver, NE, etc. I think he would have already stated whats going to happen.
Ok, I can accept that, but that's not what you said. You said it you didn't think it would have happened if Peterson was on 'any other team' which of course means all the other teams in the NFL except the Vikings, not just the so called elite teams.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:Anybody heard any news on this?
Tom Pelissero has an up-to-date summary of the situation here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /19168507/

Basically, they had the arbitration hearing yesterday and there's no news yet.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Wow, the NFL has suspended Peterson and he won't be considered for reinstatement until at least April 15th. :shock:

I just heard the news on Mike & Mike. Apparently, Goodell cited "aggravating circumstances" in his statement. It sounds like they expect him to undergo a program of counseling and will base future decisions about him based on how he responds to that.

They're also reporting that Peterson will appeal the ruling immediately.

I'll post more when I can find the league's statement online.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:Wow, the NFL has suspended Peterson and he won't be considered for reinstatement until at least April 15th. :shock:
I'm not surprised. Got a link?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Found one;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-of-year/
The NFL just announced that running back Adrian Peterson would be suspended for at least the rest of the year, without pay, for violations of the league’s personal conduct policy.

He will not be considered for reinstatement before April 15, 2015.

In the league’s letter to Peterson, commissioner Roger Goodell said: “The timing of your potential reinstatement will be based on the results of the counseling and treatment program set forth in this decision. Under this two-step approach, the precise length of the suspension will depend on your actions. We are prepared to put in place a program that can help you to succeed, but no program can succeed without your genuine and continuing engagement. You must commit yourself to your counseling and rehabilitative effort, properly care for your children, and have no further violations of law or league policy.”
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: I'm not surprised. Got a link?
I don't think it's online yet. Mike Greenberg made it sound like it was just handed to him. I imagine a link will be available soon.

edit: LOL! You found one as I posted the above.
broheim
Practice Squad

Post by broheim »

Mothman wrote:Wow, the NFL has suspended Peterson and he won't be considered for reinstatement until at least April 15th. :shock:
Really not surprising at all - this is the outcome everyone should have expected. Considering all the hell the Vikings and NFL took for their earlier handling of this, they really had no choice - they likely felt that if they did anything less, there would be massive backlash. The real surprise would have been if they had actually decided to reinstate him him this year.

Of course, Peterson still has the right to appeal, and there's no doubt he'll do so.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@TomPelissero -- Goodell's letter outlines "several aggravating circumstances" including that Peterson has "shown no meaningful remorse for your conduct."
@JasonLaCanfora -- NFL notes its domestic violence policy of 6 games for 1st offense w/escalating discipline if a minor involved. Considers a switch a weapon
@AdamSchefter -- Adrian Peterson is appealing the suspension right away, per league source.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

If he appeals, can he play? What a pathetic display by Goodell.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018