Rhodes hitting his stride as Vikings' starter

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

thatguy
Hall of Famer

Re: Rhodes hitting his stride as Vikings' starter

Post by thatguy »

I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's hard for any player to hit their stride when they've been hurt as much as Cook has been, but I would've been 10000x more understanding if he didn't appear to have a self-centered, **** the world kind of attitude. Guys like that can be a cancer in the locker room anyway - let him go.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Did anyone see that Robinson might start over Rhodes if healthy.... are these coaches oblivious???
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mercy Percy wrote:Did anyone see that Robinson might start over Rhodes if healthy.... are these coaches oblivious???

However, Rhodes isn't guaranteed to remain the starter. Frazier said a week ago he'd put Robinson back into the starting lineup when healthy.

You weren't the first person to notice. But keep in mind the bolded part. Frazier said this a week ago, before Rhodes had his second good game in a row.

Remember he also said he might start Ponder this week if healthy, which I don't think was true at all. And he said he'd give Henderson some playing time at MLB last week, which was a complete lie.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Hasn't Rhodes been banged up a little bit lately anyway?
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

And it's been mentioned that he could start in place of Cook, rather than Rhodes which imo could be a good experiment to test in this down year.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I was writing this in another thread, and I thought it belonged here instead:
As far as the actual defense, I'm pretty sure we win the Ravens game with both Rhodes and Smith in the lineup for the last couple drives. And maybe some of the earlier games, had Smith not been injured and Rhodes not been benched for being too good of a man-coverage cornerback. Rhodes looks like the best CB this team has had since Carl Lee. That's pretty high praise for Rhodes, but mostly an indictment against the quality of DB's we've had to endure for years now.

So how about it Vikes fans. I know it's early, but when was the last time we saw a DB with multiple pass break-ups in sequential games? Who was the last high quality cornerback the Vikings have had? Who would we have put on a guy like Brandon Marshall and expected success?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:So how about it Vikes fans. I know it's early, but when was the last time we saw a DB with multiple pass break-ups in sequential games? Who was the last high quality cornerback the Vikings have had?
Antoine Winfield and Antoine Winfield. :)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Antoine Winfield and Antoine Winfield. :)
Even winfield didn't have that many pass break ups, though he was great for totally different reasons.

Rhodes potential as a shut down corner though looks as good as I've seen since Revis.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Seems like he gets shook up in every game. Whether it's the wind knocked out, ankle, landing wrong. Don't know if he's just soft or what but never seen someone laying on the field as often as him.