17 Points

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

17 Points

Post by Just Me »

No - I'm not going to make an extensive 17 point post about some aspect of the Vikings. I was only noting that in 1984 the Vikings gave up 484 points in 16 games. 7 games into the season the Vikings have given up 225 points, 17 points shy of 242 (the half-way mark to 484). In other words, if the Vikings give up more than 17 points to Dallas, they will be on pace to be the worst team (in terms of points allowed) in their history. Half-way through the season doesn't mean the team will continue to give up points at that rate for the rest of the season, but the bad news is: it could also get worse.

17 points.

Most games I would term that as a "respectable" effort by the team to limit the opponent's scoring. On Sunday, 17 points means we are on pace to tie the worst team the Vikings have ever fielded.

:(
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 17 Points

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:No - I'm not going to make an extensive 17 point post about some aspect of the Vikings.

Awwww, man.... that's SO disappointing.
I was only noting that in 1984 the Vikings gave up 484 points in 16 games. 7 games into the season the Vikings have given up 225 points, 17 points shy of 242 (the half-way mark to 484). In other words, if the Vikings give up more than 17 points to Dallas, they will be on pace to be the worst team (in terms of points allowed) in their history. Half-way through the season doesn't mean the team will continue to give up points at that rate for the rest of the season, but the bad news is: it could also get worse.

17 points.

Most games I would term that as a "respectable" effort by the team to limit the opponent's scoring. On Sunday, 17 points means we are on pace to tie the worst team the Vikings have ever fielded.
Go Vikes!

It's tough to break records. We saw that last season when AD came tantalizingly close to breaking the single season rushing record. However, this is a team record they can get. It's right there within reach. They just have to seize the opportunity and go for it. Heck, if they really apply themselves and allow 34.5 points per game over the next 9 games, they can make a run at the all-time record for most points allowed in a season, 533 (set by the '81 Colts). :smilevike:
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote:
It's tough to break records. We saw that last season when AD came tantalizingly close to breaking the single season rushing record. However, this is a team record they can get. It's right there within reach. They just have to seize the opportunity and go for it. Heck, if they really apply themselves and allow 34.5 points per game over the next 9 games, they can make a run at the all-time record for most points allowed in a season, 533 (set by the '81 Colts). :smilevike:

Your tongue-in-cheek comments aside, FWIW, Steckel's offense was noticeably worse (obviously points differential was more) so I still think the 84 squad still gets the distinction as the worst ever, but the '13 squad still has a chance to 'strive for' that 'record'. :lol:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:Your tongue-in-cheek comments aside,
Hey! Don't just put my tongue-in-cheek comments aside. They're remarkably witty. ;)

Okay, maybe not "remarkably" witty...

... and maybe not "witty"...

... but they were comments! I'll stand by that.
FWIW, Steckel's offense was noticeably worse (obviously points differential was more) so I still think the 84 squad still gets the distinction as the worst ever, but the '13 squad still has a chance to 'strive for' that 'record'. :lol:
That Steckel team scarred me for life. I even went to one of those games and it was brutal. It was also my first time seeing an NFL game in person. What a great way to start!

Anyway, they were awful but this team has a chance to be that bad and that surprises and disturbs me. I really hope they get their act together and start playing much better, more competitive football than they've played in their last few games.
Last edited by Mothman on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Just Me wrote:No - I'm not going to make an extensive 17 point post about some aspect of the Vikings. I was only noting that in 1984 the Vikings gave up 484 points in 16 games. 7 games into the season the Vikings have given up 225 points, 17 points shy of 242 (the half-way mark to 484). In other words, if the Vikings give up more than 17 points to Dallas, they will be on pace to be the worst team (in terms of points allowed) in their history. Half-way through the season doesn't mean the team will continue to give up points at that rate for the rest of the season, but the bad news is: it could also get worse.

17 points.

:(
DAYUM. Too bad we don't play the broncos this year, we could probably give up a good 20% of that in one game to them! But yeah, I don't see anyway we don't get the record, I'd say the next 9 teams are much more potent than the offenses in the first 8 which included the browns, Pittsburgh, and an 0-6 giants team. Now without Harrison Smith and maybe another injury along the way at some point and I think we blow it away. IF anyone can do it, it's a Frazier lead defense!
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

I remember a couple of years back we played Philly and everyone thought we were going to get killed but we changed how we played defense and we blitzed the h@@@ out of Vick and we won that game. I think we are at the point this season where we need to attack the QB and take chances. I would rather see a big play and quick touchdown than these 7-9 minute drives we are giving up. :steamed: :steamed: