Former Viking RB Robert Smith on his alcoholism

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Former Viking RB Robert Smith on his alcoholism

Post by dead_poet »

I don't know if I knew this about him. Discusses his struggles and offers advice to Aldon Smith.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9911489
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Former Viking RB Robert Smith on his alcoholism

Post by mondry »

wow, that was really interesting given the subject matter. Didn't know that about Robert either.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:I don't know if I knew this about him.
You don't know???

I know I didn't.

Haven't really heard much about Robert since he retired. I thought he had aspirations of going to medical school or something similar.
Last edited by Eli on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xqed
Franchise Player

Post by Xqed »

Also did not know that! Very brave and cool of him.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

It was a nice discussion until he lost me at, "It's not your fault you're an alcoholic. You were born that way." Or something along those lines. That's just a bizarre thing to say. I can just picture some extremely emotional drunk falling over the place "But, it's not my fault. I was born this way." lol Uh huh. Yeah you were!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

MelanieMFunk wrote:It was a nice discussion until he lost me at, "It's not your fault you're an alcoholic. You were born that way." Or something along those lines. That's just a bizarre thing to say. I can just picture some extremely emotional drunk falling over the place "But, it's not my fault. I was born this way." lol Uh huh. Yeah you were!
I hear what you're saying, it does have a lack of accountability in the message. However, some people are genetically predisposed to addiction. I don't think that makes it an excuse, it is his fault, but for some people it is an easier trap to fall in than for others.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I think he was just trying to say that certain people are predisposed to it. Which is supported by evidence that alcoholism is often hereditary.

Actually, I got tired of listening to the "discussion" very early into the video. Smith would do well in this forum and could probably give some of the wall-o-words posters here a run for their money.