Armchair GM

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Armchair GM

Post by Eli »

Lots of interesting questions raised once you look start looking at 2014 cap numbers and the free agents the Vikings will be tasked with resigning this coming offseason. It's probably a little premature to decide who stays and who goes, as there's still a lot of football to be played this season.

There is no way the Vikings will cut Chad Greenway. They may encourage him to restructure his contract, but they really can't afford to be without him given the complete lack of talent at LB and the likely scarcity of veterans on next year's defense.

Do you really resign a 30 year old Desmond Bishop coming off major knee surgery and having played only a handful of games over the past two seasons? If he's cheap, maybe there's no harm, but if the Vikings draft a linebacker or two, there's already going to be quite a logjam among the young LBs come training camp.

Why would you not resign J'Marcus Webb? Until Webb proves himself to be a liability after seeing some action, I don't think he's going anywhere. He's certainly not likely to lose the backup job to Kevin Murphy. Travis Bond, on the other hand, could emerge as a swing backup lineman.

I'm torn on Letroy Guion. He continues to flash occasionally, but (like everyone on the defensive side of the ball this year) disappears for many plays at a time. If Kevin Williams doesn't come back next year, that may leave the Vikings with just Sharrif Floyd, Fred Evans and some scrubs. That's not much to build on.

I'm not big on Clay Harbor. If you want to go get a young Jaguars TE, go resign Allen Reisner, who the Vikings lost to Jacksonville last year. Or give Chase Ford an opportunity. I don't see TE as a big need for the Vikings after Rudolph and Ellison.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Armchair GM

Post by mondry »

Finally got around to reading this whole thing. It's fun to see and pretend but really I think that's all it is. Actually it's pretty typical Madden style team building. I'm not saying it can't work but the Redskins over the past decade have been a pretty big example of why it usually doesn't.

The problem is, most of these guys that are actually good are going to get extended and resigned by their own teams and probably never even hit the market and even if they do, overpaying free agents like I said, doesn't usually work. I also take issue with some of the numbers like resigning everson griffen probably won't be that easy. Someone will see him and offer him good money for a starting role though I'd be ecstatic if we could resign him for that...
Eli wrote: There is no way the Vikings will cut Chad Greenway. They may encourage him to restructure his contract, but they really can't afford to be without him given the complete lack of talent at LB and the likely scarcity of veterans on next year's defense.

Do you really resign a 30 year old Desmond Bishop coming off major knee surgery and having played only a handful of games over the past two seasons? If he's cheap, maybe there's no harm, but if the Vikings draft a linebacker or two, there's already going to be quite a logjam among the young LBs come training camp.

I'm not big on Clay Harbor. If you want to go get a young Jaguars TE, go resign Allen Reisner, who the Vikings lost to Jacksonville last year. Or give Chase Ford an opportunity. I don't see TE as a big need for the Vikings after Rudolph and Ellison.
And I highly hope they do get Greenway to restructure, I had looked at the cap before and noticed he was the 3rd highest paid player behind AD and Allen and was honestly shocked. He's good but he's not elite like we're paying him to be.

To be fair to the article it did say if Bishop's career isn't over and he can come back from the ACL tear. I think it also just tried to resign him due to the pff ratings being positive for him and that was the basis for sign or cut.

Agree here, I just don't see the need for more TE's, if we aren't getting an elite TE then theres no point, we already have a number of guys who can fill in as back up / blocker.