Highest scoring offenses in NFL History

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Highest scoring offenses in NFL History

Post by Just Me »

Raptorman wrote:One thing to note. That of the 15 highest scoring teams in the NFL, only one, the 1999 Rams won the Super Bowl. The other 14 either never made it that far or lost in the Big game.
I noticed that too. Defense still wins championships. (And it was a defensive play for the Rams that sealed the Super Bowl win even then...)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Just noticed something. Point per game for. The leading team is the Broncos at 44.8(44.75) But the next 4 teams surprised me a bit.

2. Green Bay 32
3. Chicago 31.8
4. Detroit 30.5
5. Minnesota 28.8

Yup, 4 of the top five scoring teams after week four are the NFC north teams.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Raptorman wrote:Just noticed something. Point per game for. The leading team is the Broncos at 44.8(44.75) But the next 4 teams surprised me a bit.

2. Green Bay 32
3. Chicago 31.8
4. Detroit 30.5
5. Minnesota 28.8

That's pretty crazy. Kind of impressive. If only we had a defense to keep the other team from scoring more. :evil:

Random thing I learned today: We are the only team in our division with cheerleaders. Shows how much I pay attention. :|
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Reignman wrote:And highest scoring teams by points per game.

38.83 - 1950 Los Angeles Rams (12 games)
36.81 - 2007 New England Patriots (16 games)
36.64 - 1961 Houston Oilers (14 games)
36.00 - 1941 Chicago Bears (11 games)
35.00 - 2011 Green Bay Packers (16 games)
34.81 - 2012 New England Patriots (16 games)
34.75 - 1998 Minnesota Vikings (16 games)
34.19 - 2011 New Orleans Saints (16 games)
34.18 - 1942 Chicago Bears (11 games)
33.81 - 1983 Washington Redskins (16 games)
The Broncos are averaging 44.75 PPG. :shock:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Raptorman wrote:Just noticed something. Point per game for. The leading team is the Broncos at 44.8(44.75) But the next 4 teams surprised me a bit.

2. Green Bay 32
3. Chicago 31.8
4. Detroit 30.5
5. Minnesota 28.8

wow...and our offense is kind of scuffling along too. Lotsa potential.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Purplemania wrote: Really? thought all teams had cheerleaders...
Nope. Seven teams don't. Bears, Packers, Lions, Steelers, Giants, Jets, and Browns. Some say that the Packers have cheerleaders, but I don't think they are their official team's cheerleaders, though. I think they are college cheerleaders? Either way, there ya go!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Nope. Seven teams don't. Bears, Packers, Lions, Steelers, Giants, Jets, and Browns. Some say that the Packers have cheerleaders, but I don't think they are their official team's cheerleaders, though. I think they are college cheerleaders? Either way, there ya go!
I noticed that the Viking cheerleaders were dressed very conservatively today.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The Breeze wrote: I noticed that the Viking cheerleaders were dressed very conservatively today.
They started out in their usual outfits, but the temp was 61 degrees when the game started and went south from there.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

BGM wrote: They started out in their usual outfits, but the temp was 61 degrees when the game started and went south from there.
ohh...I see. They're gonna love next season~
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

yezzir wrote:
That 1794 Patriots team was pretty good.
Scoring points and building nations since 1794! :lol:
This space available for rent.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Reignman wrote:But to make everyone feel better, here are the best defenses in terms of points per game since 1960. And everyone thinks the '85 Bears, the '00 Ravens or the '02 Bucs had good defenses, pffffff.

9.21 - 1977 Atlanta Falcons (14 games)
9.50 - 1969 Minnesota Vikings (14 games)
9.64 - 1975 Los Angeles Rams (14 games)
9.86 - 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers (14 games)
9.93 - 1971 Minnesota Vikings (14 games)
10.00 - 1971 Baltimore Colts (14 games)
10.21 - 1970 Minnesota Vikings (14 games)
10.29 - 1963 Chicago Bears (14 games)
10.29 - 1968 Baltimore Colts (14 games)
10.31 - 2000 Baltimore Ravens (16 games)
I just realized the 3 times the Vikings are on this list were consecutive seasons. So we allowed an average of 9.88 points per game over the course of 3 seasons. WOW! I think that's lower than the Twins 2013 ERA.
Just Me wrote: I noticed that too. Defense still wins championships. (And it was a defensive play for the Rams that sealed the Super Bowl win even then...)
But then you look at the top 10 defenses from the list above and only the 2000 Ravens won a Superbowl ... and there goes your theory xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Reignman wrote:]But then you look at the top 10 defenses from the list above and only the 2000 Ravens won a Superbowl ... and there goes your theory xD.
You may want to look at this article. It seems that dominance on either side of the ball can win a championship, but
— The Super Bowl winner with the best defense over the past nine years was the 2008 Steelers, who had an average rank of 4.8 in the defensive categories. That Steelers team also had the worst offense, with 18.8 ranking in the offensive categories.

— The team with the best offense over the past nine years was the 2006 Colts, who had an average rank of 5.0. The 2006 Colts also had the worst defense, with an average rank of 21.9.

Five of nine teams had a top 10 average ranking on the defensive side of the ball. Three teams had a top 10 average ranking on the offensive side.
It seems the theory that a good defense can win a championship is alive and well... :) (The article does concede that dominance on either side of the ball can win a championship - FWIW)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Oh I agree, I'm just saying a good defense alone isn't going to lead to championships, nor is a good offense. Not that you can't, but you need to be balanced to increase your odds.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I just can't believe how pathetically easy Denver's schedule is this year. They are practically guarranteed a playoff homegame just on that alone. I actually think this Denver team might be set up for a playoff choke because of this. They are likely going to run the season playing very few trully tough opponents. When they get to the playoffs they might be ripe for a choke game if they get in a nailbiter. Not to diss what Peyton is accomplishing, but they are set up for that with such a creampuff schedule.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

mansquatch wrote:I just can't believe how pathetically easy Denver's schedule is this year. They are practically guarranteed a playoff homegame just on that alone. I actually think this Denver team might be set up for a playoff choke because of this. They are likely going to run the season playing very few trully tough opponents. When they get to the playoffs they might be ripe for a choke game if they get in a nailbiter. Not to diss what Peyton is accomplishing, but they are set up for that with such a creampuff schedule.
It is interesting. I know we are in different conferences, but compare Denver's schedule to ours. Not to mention our first 2 games were divisional teams ON THE ROAD. :confused: