Of Next Years Draft Class, Which QB Would You Choose Today?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Of Next Years Draft Class, Which QB Would You Choose Tod

Post by MrPurplenGold »

PurpleHalo wrote: What kind of offense do they run?
They run a pro-style offense similar to what the vikings run now; run first to set up the play action, typically 2 WR formations with a tight end with some shotgun multiple WR sets sprinkled in.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Manziel reminds me of Favre and Romo. Better movement than either of those two...but not the arm of Favre.

I think it's impossible to predict what he will do in the NFL cause it's 50\50. His mental makeup and how it matures is the key. He definitely doesn't lack confindence nor is he stupid regarding what to do with the football. As a GM, I would consider it a dammed if you do dammed if you don't kinda pick.

I've yet to really see Bridgewater...but I've seen a lot of Derek Carr, who definitely fits the mold of an accurate pocket passer with a good arm.

All in all, there is a pretty good pool of talent at QB....the Vikes should get a decent prospect regardless of where their first round pick is. There might be 2 other teams (browns, jags) who need a QB as badly....just off the top o me head~
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Demi wrote: Not just FSU. We can't reach. If that means not picking a QB in the first, FINE! Just like I said when we picked Ponder. You CAN'T force the QB position. And passing then picking some middle round "project" isn't going to work either. If we can try to trade up even take the loss and get the guy. Otherwise just suck it up.
That's what I say. If they have 2-3 guys they feel can work and one is available at the right pick...do it. If not fill, another hole and play ball. Do not panic.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

MrPurplenGold wrote:I think a sleeper might actually be Zach Mettenberger from LSU. I live in SEC country and know a good bit about the LSU program and I know up until Les Miles hired Cam Cameron, Miles wouldn't give an OC coordinator much leeway in calling plays and determining offensive game plans. Now that Cam Cameron has come to LSU, someone Miles is very comfortable with, Mettenberger has begun to flourish. He will have a lot of tough games this year. LSU still has to play 5 teams that are currently in the top 25. If he can play well, I think he will move up draft boards as someone to keep an eye on.

Good call. I was impressed by him in week 1 vs. TCU. He's looking good today vs. Georgia so far. He's just solid and has a strong arm. Not flashy, doesn't stand out much, but is very capable.
kyle222
Waterboy

Post by kyle222 »

My QB choice would be Mariota and it's not even close. He has the it factor of all the qb's in this class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQcqop2R-w
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

kyle222 wrote:My QB choice would be Mariota and it's not even close. He has the it factor of all the qb's in this class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQcqop2R-w
I agree, but it's in no way certain he will come out this year.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

purplehaze wrote:I would like to give Johnny Football a shot. Regardless of size, I think he has the "IT" factor.
I agree. as russell Wilson showed size doesn't matter.
whatdaproblemis0
Starter

Post by whatdaproblemis0 »

Draft a QB with the first 4 picks, and see which one works....Hey it could work....
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

whatdaproblemis0 wrote:Draft a QB with the first 4 picks, and see which one works....Hey it could work....
I like picking more than 1, but it will never happen unless the house is cleaned. These guys just don't think outside the box, just show no urgency with the most important position in American sports.
This space available for rent.
kyle222
Waterboy

Post by kyle222 »

The breeze and Purplemania understand. This kid is the anti ponder, he actually has skill. haha
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Purplemania wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This guy...I want him over everyone. Look at his pocket awareness...the arm strength and accuracy. He is also very patient...has a lot of the intangibles already such as the pump fake. We must get him.
I've seen Mariota lots. He is a super athlete and just keeps getting better as an accurate passer. Tons and tons of potential with the guy. I understand why peeps would want to doubt him because of the NFL history of every QB to come out of Kelly's system. And the style of offense they run. But he can throw the ball all over the field with pace on the ball and he's only a sophomore.

I would love for him to be a Viking...but there is a great crop of guys coming out, so, I'm not about to fret over which guy we get. Still, it will be hard to watch if we have a chance at him and pass, only to have him go elsewhere and tear it up.

And like I said earlier...just because of the deep class, it may be to his benefit to stay one more year at Oregon.
kyle222
Waterboy

Post by kyle222 »

I have watched a ton of fales, not impressed. He throws floaters in a consistent basis. Bridgewater looks like cam newton 2.0, and Manziel is just nuts. I'm not sure who else I would take over him.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

kyle222 wrote:I have watched a ton of fales, not impressed. He throws floaters in a consistent basis. Bridgewater looks like cam newton 2.0, and Manziel is just nuts. I'm not sure who else I would take over him.
Having many choices makes it harder IMO. If it truly is a crapshoot...put 3 names in a hat and leave it to Valhalla to decide. :wink:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

kyle222 wrote:I have watched a ton of fales, not impressed. He throws floaters in a consistent basis. Bridgewater looks like cam newton 2.0, and Manziel is just nuts. I'm not sure who else I would take over him.
Aaron Murray looked pretty good. But he's a midget. Sounds like Spielman's kind of guy though.

There's something about Metterberger that just doesn't look right. Can't put my finger on it. The way he throws the ball? Lack of velocity? I don't know, something is off.
TheFoxInDetox
Veteran

Post by TheFoxInDetox »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote: I prefer no QB at all and work on the Oline and defense with the top picks :confused:
And start Ponder? Cassel? Seriously? We need a real QB, this carousel has been spinning long enough. I don't mind going defense in the first round but we need a QB before round 3. period.